IGNORED

Getting Fitted, Iron Suggestions?

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I plan on geting an iron fitting in the next 3 months (making sure I have enough money to get anything I want and for covid to slow down) I have been making a list of the irons I would like to try and am looking for suggestions to add to or delete off of this list. I am currently playing second hand 716 AP2s that I really like but I struggle with consistent ball striking on the 4 & 5 iron so a combo set seems like the obvious move. I also think the shafts I'm currently using are not a fit as the 6 iron (project x rifle 5.0) has a different shaft than the rest (kbs tour c taper 130 x) and it is my favorite club it feels so much easier to hit, I can swing it faster, and the ball flight seems to my eye to be much better. I very much prefer traditional lofts and am looking for high launch high spin. Looks are important but performance over everything. 

Anyway here is the list I have compiled so far:

Srixon Z785 I love these and they're on the cheaper side I cant wait to hit them (And coming out in January the Srixon ZX7s are looking right up my alley)

Mizuno MP20 HMB (or just the MB) I think doing a combo set with the MMC would be great

Titleist 718 AP2 love the 716s assume I would love these too

Cobra King Forged MB/CB another combo set 

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour

Ping I210

Ping Blueprint

Wilson FG Tour V6

Honma TW747 Rose Proto

They're essentially in the order of my interest would love to hear any feedback. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, another fitting question. Along with the iron fitting there are a couple other improvements I want to make. I need to get a new shaft for my hybrid i bought it secondhand and its one of my favorite clubs but it has a regular shaft feels like its made of rubber as I swing it 100mph. I want to try other driver shafts I have the G410 LST head that I love but I have their ping x flex 75 gram shaft that I hit well but feel like I could gain a good amount of club head speed with a lighter shaft. And lastly would love to get fitted for a new 5 wood I don't hate my old Taylormade RBZ but again it has a regular flex shaft and I'm not consistent with it. So should I see about doing all this in one session or should I do the iron fitting and do this in a second session? 

Maybe see what that fitting suggests. I had one fitting and bought a set of irons and wedges. The actual heads were KZG. Never heard of them but know them now. But the shafts and grips are not (Matrix and Golf Pride.) 

I know nothing about heads. Nothing about shafts (I think I can tell the difference between Steel and Graphite). But I know how important the right size grips are to me.

Since then, I picked up a set of ping eye 2+...early 90's, steel shafts, in a used bin for $100. Got the fitter to put the same golf pride grips on (with the extra roll). Hit them longer, straighter. They feel like butter. 

There is just so much out there, and we are all so different. Keep an open mind. 

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

Where are you getting fitted?   Keep an open mind, be flexible about your choice.  

Keep us up to date.

Trying to decide on that as well. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's going to be a drive either way I am leaning towards Miles Of Golf in Ann Arbor MI they have a great reputation that is most likely where I'll go but Carl's Golfland is also an option. Definitely an open mind like I said performance over everything I'll play any club that's going to help me get the job done.

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've been to both.   Both are great choices.  

Never been fitted do you think they'll charge me a lot to just try out hybrid and driver shafts? Already have the heads I want. 

Make sure to bring your current clubs to compare against.

I’m Srixon biased, so glad to hear it’s of interest! The new irons and driver look sweet! Can’t wait to get my set, although the blades won’t come out until around same time the following year. 

12 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Never been fitted do you think they'll charge me a lot to just try out hybrid and driver shafts? Already have the heads I want. 

I would assume most places charge a flat fee for a fitting. I doubt they would charge more because you want to see if anything else feels or works good. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

17 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Make sure to bring your current clubs to compare against.

I’m Srixon biased, so glad to hear it’s of interest! The new irons and driver look sweet! Can’t wait to get my set, although the blades won’t come out until around same time the following year. 

I would assume most places charge a flat fee for a fitting. I doubt they would charge more because you want to see if anything else feels or works good. 

I'm a big Srixon guy myself. I play exclusively Z STAR XVs and their irons are gorgeous but I'm more of a Ping/ Cobra woods fan. I'm currently watching the 2nd Swing Golf review actually of the new ZX5s and ZX7s that are coming out and I'm hoping they give me the best numbers I'd love to game them. 

1 hour ago, Lugowskins said:

Wilson FG Tour V6

I really like my Wilson FG Tour V6 irons. Been playing them for about 3 years now. Looks are subjective, but I love the way they look at address, and my main complaint with other heads I have tried is that they don't look like the Wilsons.

They're not quite traditionally lofted if you are looking for Tiger Woods lofts, but the set I have PW is 47 degrees, 7-iron is 35 degrees, and 4-iron is 24 degrees. They were a good deal, if I recall I bought them for maybe $100 per iron. I purchased the clubs with R-flex shafts because that is what my old set had, but my swing speed is more S/X, so I ended up replacing the shafts with DG S400 Tour Issue.

I will probably never get rid of these irons since I have a strange sentimental attachment to them, but I am looking to get fitted next year into some sort of combo set, with Mizuno and Srixon being at the top of my list right now.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

I really like my Wilson FG Tour V6 irons. Been playing them for about 3 years now. Looks are subjective, but I love the way they look at address, and my main complaint with other heads I have tried is that they don't look like the Wilsons.

They're not quite traditionally lofted if you are looking for Tiger Woods lofts, but the set I have PW is 47 degrees, 7-iron is 35 degrees, and 4-iron is 24 degrees. They were a good deal, if I recall I bought them for maybe $100 per iron. I purchased the clubs with R-flex shafts because that is what my old set had, but my swing speed is more S/X, so I ended up replacing the shafts with DG S400 Tour Issue.

I will probably never get rid of these irons since I have a strange sentimental attachment to them, but I am looking to get fitted next year into some sort of combo set, with Mizuno and Srixon being at the top of my list right now.

I agree i think they are great looking irons! Those are actually a degree weaker than my AP2s I don't know if there are any recently released clubs as weak as the Tiger irons and probably never will be again lol. Hard to pass up a chance to play Mizunos good call! 

15 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Hard to pass up a chance to play Mizunos good call! 

I like that Mizuno and Srixon lines seem to be designed to facilitate combo sets. My plan with fitting is to go with the best performance head/shaft combo, but I also want the Mizuno/Srixon irons come out on top. Hopefully I am capable of setting aside my positive bias toward those brands.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

2 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

Titleist 718 AP2 love the 716s assume I would love these too

Are you thinking that you'll find these new?  As far as I know, Titleist has moved on to the T-series irons, T110, T200, T300, etc.  This spring I changed from 714 AP2 to the T200, and I'm very happy with them.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Are you thinking that you'll find these new?  As far as I know, Titleist has moved on to the T-series irons, T110, T200, T300, etc.  This spring I changed from 714 AP2 to the T200, and I'm very happy with them.  

Ah you know I didn't even think about that. The T100s are the closer comparison to the AP2s correct? Those are pretty sleek looking might have to swap them on my list but damn I really loved the look of the AP2s the 714 and 718 were much better looking IMO than the 716s so i have the less attractive set of the 3.  

7 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Ah you know I didn't even think about that. The T100s are the closer comparison to the AP2s correct? Those are pretty sleek looking might have to swap them on my list but damn I really loved the look of the AP2s the 714 and 718 were much better looking IMO than the 716s so i have the less attractive set of the 3.  

I think you're right, the T100 is the closer comparison to the AP2.  The T200 is designed to be a little more forgiving, and is just slightly larger.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think you're right, the T100 is the closer comparison to the AP2.  The T200 is designed to be a little more forgiving, and is just slightly larger.

I don't know how much bigger I'd be comfortable going. My first set was some Taylormade Burner 2s and I pulled them out and hit them a while back they looked like bricks lol 

1 minute ago, Lugowskins said:

I don't know how much bigger I'd be comfortable going. My first set was some Taylormade Burner 2s and I pulled them out and hit them a while back they looked like bricks lol 

If you're doing a fitting, I'd bet they'll have both clubheads available.  Take a look, maybe swing both, and see if one of them fits what you want. 

You have a whole bunch of iron candidates on your list, I don't know if you'll have the time (or endurance) to try all of them at one session, you might want to narrow the selection before you actually get to the fitting.  I'm not a big believer in a "perfect choice", I think that as long as you select a good manufacturer and a competent fitter, you can get a club that will work great.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

Note: This thread is 1141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!