IGNORED

Do You Mind Getting Paired up?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Being Paired  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mind getting paired up?

• Yes, I mind
    • No, I don’t mind

I don’t mind. To be fair, I’ve been lucky with my pairings.

Its pretty rare for that to happen though. 99% of the time i play in a group or a game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't mind, but every once in a while....... My son, his buddy and I frequently play on weekdays. We play "ready golf". If you are ready, hit it. We can easily do 18 holes in under 3 hours with no obstructing traffic.  Last time my son and I got paired up it was at the turn,  with a couple guys who wanted to make sure the guy who hit was away, double check honors on the tee, etc etc.  And, quite frankly, these guys were just not very good. We had done the front in 1:15. Back side took 2:30. With no one ahead of us. I was so ticked off after the 11th hole my game went to Hades, but I was still better than these clowns, by at least 2 strokes a hole.

Should be a third choice: "Meh"

I read a couple of replies and did not go through ALL of them, so I might have missed a reply about an obvious issue. IF these are new members 'clogging' up the course and aren't aware of the 'rules', then that is the Club's fault. New members should have been given an "Indoctrination" of some sort. A set of written Rules and Laws of the Club relating to behavior and etiquette expected of them. Maybe even a round with an officer to familiarize them with how things are done and what is expected of them. If they are just signing up members and taking their money without any consideration of existing members, it's time to consider what exactly is the club doing to help the game. 

It's hard enough during this Covid thing to even get out as a single/walk up with most public courses around here not allowing them at all. And I KNOW that people are just booking times to have them and many don't bother to show up because it's a bit too windy, or cold, or hot, or damp and many times slots go unused because they don't call to cancel or allow a single to wait a few minutes to get into an empty slot. Trying to fill slots should be an economic no-brainer for any course. 

I remember a post on here or one of the other forums from a few years ago about a guy who INSISTED that he be able to go out as a single during a busy weekend and not be "paired" up because he was paying what everyone else paid. Yet, he also wanted to play through as if he was Moses. That is not a viable economic move for a business. Leaving 3 fees on the table is essentially losing money. Now- if he wanted to go out as a single, then let him pay for the 4 slots, AND he keeps his place in the line, then fine, let him. 

But overall, on course behavior and Club rules are established to protect everyone from "that guy" who thinks they deserve better than anyone else. I know that in GB, many clubs limited play to twosomes to mitigate spread of Covid. It wasn't particularly liked, but people adjusted and tried to make the best of it. Lot's more Match Play to try and keep things moving to allow more people to get out there. As for around here- they didn't limit it to twosomes, but if you didn't want to share a cart with a 'stranger' they would just issue a solo cart. That seemed to be a compromise that everyone is happy with. 

• 3 weeks later...

I played 18 on Sat here in GA as a single. As I'm new to golf and learning as much as I can I don't mind being paired up with 3 others BUT one of the threesome was playing country music from his cart the entire round. I tried to just put it out of my mind as I guess you have to learn to live with distractions however I love golf for the peace, quiet and nature. The following day I was out on my own and enjoyed it more tbh. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 8:47 AM, Esox said:

I usually don't mind, but every once in a while....... My son, his buddy and I frequently play on weekdays. We play "ready golf". If you are ready, hit it. We can easily do 18 holes in under 3 hours with no obstructing traffic.  Last time my son and I got paired up it was at the turn,  with a couple guys who wanted to make sure the guy who hit was away, double check honors on the tee, etc etc.  And, quite frankly, these guys were just not very good. We had done the front in 1:15. Back side took 2:30. With no one ahead of us. I was so ticked off after the 11th hole my game went to Hades, but I was still better than these clowns, by at least 2 strokes a hole.

That seems odd.  I’ve never had a group join us at the turn unless the course was backed up and it was the group behind joining up with us.  To add them in the midst of a round seems wrong to me.  They must not have wanted to wait for a time off #1.

I voted that I do not mind.  My wife would vote otherwise if she were on TST.  She gets self-conscious with people she does not know. She is always concerned they will look down on her poor play. Usually they do not mind at we have fun.

Edited by StuM

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

That seems odd.  I’ve never had a group join us at the turn unless the course was backed up and it was the group behind joining up with us.  To add them in the midst of a round seems wrong to me.  They must not have wanted to wait for a time off #1.

Courses shouldn't do that unless they have a really good idea who these guys are.  Actually met a good friend of mine because our pro knew he wouldn't mind playing with me on the back nine. But I've never seen that otherwise.

In general, I don't mind. But there are occasions when I want to play fast, and then I mind. In those cases, I try to be the first guy off or go at a time when it's not busy.  Otherwise, it's usually nicer to be paired with someone.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to play as a single a lot (I likely will be doing this again as I get back into the game), and I don't mind getting paired up with another group. I always try to be mindful of who I'm paired with, and let them set the tone. If I'm paired with a threesome and they want to do their own thing, that's fine by me.  If they want to chat a bit, that's fine as well.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I don't mind being paired up; I have met some real nice people this way. Since I end up wanting to golf and most of my friends don't play, I would just call the course and say "hi, I am just a single golfer, can I play today?", and they would just say to come out here and we'll get you out. So not usually a problem.

In my way of thinking, if I don't book a foursome, I am at the mercy of the course anyway as to where and when they want to put me and that's perfectly ok, I accept that. The main thing is, I get to play!!! 

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

My "pairing up" story.  One evening I was out as a single.  On the 2nd hole a guy drove into me.  The green hadn't cleared in front of me so I had to wait.  When the a**hole walked up I let him have it!  He was larger than me and muscular and possibly could have pummeled me, but I was pissed. 

So now the two of us are waiting for the green to clear.  Told him he could join me if he wanted to, but I wouldn't let him play through.  So he joined up.  He apologized without being prompted.  Turns out he worked in the same building as I did.  Ended up actually being an inattentive nice guy.  And we became friends. 

And played again.  The best revenge was whipping his butt every time we played.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!