IGNORED

Downswing Hand Speed

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

This is a tough one to talk about if only because this isn't something that's easily measured.

I posted this video in the Blast Motion for Putting topicΒ because @boogieliciousΒ had posted something about his hand speed. Blast will measure what it thinks your hand speed is, but it doesn't tell youΒ whereΒ you reach that peak hand speed, telling you only that it should occur prior to impact.

The video above talks about how your hands should be reaching peak speed pretty early in the downswing β€” essentially between A5 and A6. The Pro achieves it at about here:

handspeed_pro.jpg

The amateur gained 6 MPH clubhead speed while dropping 1 MPH from his hand speed (not uncommon as he had just started working on this) by changing his max hand speed location from the left to the right:

handspeed.jpg

This is one of my "beefs" with the Ernest Jones idea that the arms are passive and are swung with the body. While this is sometimes a good feeling for someone who is over-active with the hands, it's often not a great thing for many golfers. Though, to be fair, many golfers swing back too far, so their hands aren't in the best range of motion to go fast, and they slowly accelerate longer into the downswing. Short swings with punch tend to be good here.

We've likely all seen a graph like this, but it's not the easiest to read forΒ positionΒ because it's in time, and the arms accelerate. We could take a differential and figure out roughly where they are in space, but just looking at the graph you can see that it's still fairly far before impact. Though it's about 3/4 of the way acrossΒ the graph from the transition to impact, most of that early downswing is at a low speed, so the hands don't cover as much ground as they are covering around "C."

sequence2.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Here are some amateurs against a Tour player doing kind of a bad job. Look at how early the clubhead gains speed in them, and what effect that has onΒ the hand speed:

Pro.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Like I said in our moderator Slack group, I'm not sure where this topic can go, but I agree it's a good one to discuss. Let's see where it takes us. Do you feel you're reaching your peak hand speed too late? Do you "pull down" from the handle at the top of the backswing at all, and get the arms and thus the hands moving? Or is your lead arm staying pinned to your chest for the early downswing, slowing down and delaying your peak hand speed?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I stay pinned, and feel like my arms and hands are way behind. Like the left β€œbefore” pic, probably even worse than that. I feel like my lower body and shoulders are out ahead and my arms and club get dragged through. Losing the angle between the shaft and forearm early,Β where the shaft is parallel when my hands are like waist high, not close to my trail leg. I don’t feel like I pull down the handle at all.Β I posted a member swing a couple years ago and it still looks pretty much the same. Definitely seems like an area where I could improve - I was actually watching some videos on drills to get the arms more active and ahead earlier today.

12 hours ago, iacas said:

The amateur gained 6 MPH clubhead speed while dropping 1 MPH from his hand speed (not uncommon as he had just started working on this) by changing his max hand speed location from the left to the right:

My question is how did he do this? Was it just thinking about it? Was there a feel that they used? You mentioned pulling down on the grip. Would this be straight down? They mentioned not going to the ball too soon as this causes you to slow down to get the head to the ball.

I worked just a little on it yesterday during my SuperSpeed work. I have been using the Soft Arm Challenge feelΒ a bit while working on my priority piece, reducing early extension. It feels a bit like float loading.Β I also work with the feel of my right elbow driving down and in front along with my other feels from my Evolvr lessons. I think these have helped me pick up speed. Β Our checkpoint is where my hands are at A6. We are working to get them deeper into my thigh, which is basically more lag.Β This concept would be anΒ interesting addition.

I wish the Blast Motion device told us where the max speed was. They are calculating head speed, but measuring hand speed I assume. If they have downswing time and distance, they should be able to tell us where max was.

One last thing. InΒ SuperSpeed Phase 2, instead of kneeling, I stand with my feetΒ a couple inches apart and swing. It’s all arms. I’ve hit 95 with the blue, so yeah arms are the big contributor to my speed.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

My question is how did he do this? Was it just thinking about it? Was there a feel that they used? You mentioned pulling down on the grip. Would this be straight down? They mentioned not going to the ball too soon as this causes you to slow down to get the head to the ball.

My guess is the arms need to go along the arc and not straight down. If you narrow the hand arc you reduce the time you have to accelerate which means you’ll hit your peak speed with your hands closer to the ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

My guess is the arms need to go along the arc and not straight down. If you narrow the hand arc you reduce the time you have to accelerate which means you’ll hit your peak speed with your hands closer to the ball.

That’s a part of it. I’ll probably reply with more when our power turns back on for the second time today, but the video also said the player was trying to leave his arms up and just changing his understanding that he had to swing his arms down helped him quite a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I've been taking lessons and other than cleaning up my back swing a bit, the biggest, and by far hardest change for me was getting the down swing shallower. The feel for me was a bit of float load feel to emphasize not starting the down swing yanking my hands hard from the very top, then feeling like my hands went straight down while I squatted a bit and bumped the hip forward. That makes me think maybe my max hand speed is too late. But on the other hand part of getting my hands lower has been a feel of sort of letting my swing develop from A6-A7. So that would point towards slower hands near impact and earlier max hand speed. Would love to have the tech to see this on myself!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 2 weeks later...

Higher handicapper here, been working to rework my swing this last year. Recent focus has been on Impact Zone concepts. The last few weeks have been focused on flat lead wrist and forward divot. My focus wasΒ to get my hands out front at impact. I was struggling and tried to swing just looking at where I wanted my hands at impact and realized how badly I've been flipping the club. Made some improvements and will keep working. Went to the range this week to add focus on load and lag. It became immediately clear how badly I cast the club. The feeling of softer hands and increasing the load at transition and holding lag are helping my tempo and ability to gain momentum through the swing and not ripping my hands down immediately. Holding lag also seems toΒ keepΒ the club on a better swing plane. Still inconsistent, but working on patient transition andΒ gaining hand speed momentum without flipping the release. Addicting feeling when making proper contact.Β 

I have no idea what the correct answer is.Β  I do know that as an athlete, I always thru any ball harder, broke the discus records, had the hardest slapshot, and hit the golf ball a mile.Β  I always practiced these activities tons and only every with the idea of maximizing distance.Β  With golf, it was because Jack Nicklaus said somewhere to learn first to hit it long and then to control it.

What I feel on the downswing, is a change in the width of the swing and hence the angular momentum changes fairly high up but this is a result rather than an effect of the hands.Β  This changing of the width in conjunction with the left torso moveΒ creates a sort of slingshot effect or really like a 2 lever slingshot.Β  So, I am pretty sure the hand speed is highest as shown in the first post but I don't think it is because of strong hands or any active effort because I am pretty sure my wrists have not released yet.Β  Interesting topic.

What are the factors for increasing hand speed earlier?

I've read the following:

1. Work done on the club is via the hands on the grip andΒ isΒ  defined by 'Force x distance moved in the direction of the force' .Β  So theoretically the more work done on the club will add more kinetic energy to it . ThereforeΒ if you want to increase your hand speed , you might want to increase the hand path or increase the hand force applied along that hand path or both.Β  Also if you want to do more angular work on the club , you could add more Torque via your hands or more angular distanceΒ  or both.

2. Faster backswing can ensure that you have a larger starting force for the downswing.

3. Stretch shorten cycle at the top of the backswing (ie. in the 'external/internal obliques'Β + shoulder girdle muscles )Β could provide the ability to add more force into the arms/hands in the downswing?

4. Having an increase in the lag angle in the downswing allows a greater force to be applied to the hands ( for a given torque in the upper body pivot).Β  The MOI of the 'upper body +Β the arms/club' unitΒ  is less when the COM of the club is closer to the upper body pivot axis of rotation. Actually , if you bent your left and right arms more while alsoΒ decreasing the lag angle , you'd theoretically be able to minimise the MOI and increase the forces inΒ your hands (for a given upper body pivot torque). Might be good for increasing hand speed but might affect other aspects of your swing biomechanics to strike the ball where you want it to go.

5. An assertiveΒ  upper trail-arm adduction while trying to passively straighten the trailΒ arm can have at least 2 affects on the hand force ifΒ  it's directed downwards and outwards across the grip. It can increase a component of the force more along the hand path and also create a clubshaft lagging 'Moment of Force'Β  (which will help prevent an early cast andΒ  an increased MOI).

6. InΒ some golf models it was shownΒ that if you apply active hand torque 70 milliseconds before impactΒ  it would increase clubhead speed . If you did this before or after the 70 msec mark it would decrease your clubhead speed by impact.Β 

7. Hand torque can help increase clubhead speed when the clubhead is moving slower but it is more efficient to apply an eccentric forceΒ across the grip to increase clubhead speed (when its moving faster).Β  That means applying forces across the gripΒ so that the in plane 'Net Force' component vector will create an MOF toΒ increase the angular velocity of the club in the late downswing.

8. There is also kick velocity of the clubshaft that could add a bit of clubhead speed (if you let it).

So I think the AMG video doesn't go far enough to explain the physicsΒ why having an earlier max hand speed can influence clubhead speed by impact.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Warlock

Hobby is studying golfΒ biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap andΒ play only 7-8Β  times a yearΒ for funΒ scoringΒ between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focusΒ cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

Oops ! Should have said "What are the factors for increasing clubhead speed "Β 

not " What are the factors for increasing hand speed earlier?"

Apologies for that error.

Hobby is studying golfΒ biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap andΒ play only 7-8Β  times a yearΒ for funΒ scoringΒ between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focusΒ cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, iacas said:

Though, to be fair, many golfers swing back too far, so their hands aren't in the best range of motion to go fast, and they slowly accelerate longer into the downswing. Short swings with punch tend to be good here.

Thanks for posting this. I immediately thought of Jon Rahm who has a short backswing, but seems to get his hands moving fast very early.

In trying to get into a good impact position with hips and shoulders rotated without putting a bunch of stress on my lead knee, I have opened my stance. This has limited my backswing, which was a concern I had in being able to create clubhead speed.Β 

I am thinking I can open my stance a bit and still get decent clubhead velocity.Β 

• Administrator
On 2/27/2021 at 7:57 AM, Warlock said:

So I think the AMG video doesn't go far enough to explain the physicsΒ why having an earlier max hand speed can influence clubhead speed by impact.

Really beyond the scope of what they're going to try to do in a video like that.

Note:Β This thread is 1151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!