IGNORED

Who is the best golfer you've played with?

CusePhil
Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who is the best player you've played with according to their handicap?

• +5 or better
    • 0 to +4.99
    • .01 to 5
    • 5.01 to 10
    • 10+

When I was a small kid - my father. Played off +4. Worst teacher in the world!

Today - we have a16-yr-old who plays off 0-1 and a few more who play off 7 and better.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played in a pro-am with Hubert Green.
I played a couple of Holes with Carol Mann.

The best round I ever saw was by the pro at old Groveport Golf Club.
His name was Brian Webb. Brian and I were teenage contemporaries at the old Walnut Hill Golf Club.
The SOB was such an athlete he played on the Ohio U golf team after he blew out his knee meeting the obligations of his football scholarship.
He and I played the Club Champ and the Club President in an A-B game.
Oh, that club champ got invited to camp by the Indians. He also played on a football scholarship at OU.

Brian bogeyed 17 and missed breaking the Club Champ's course record. So, I just got to watch him tie it at 63.

Yes, we won a couple of dollars.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I played in a pro-am with Hubert Green.

You played at Groveport/the Willows?

You played for OU? When were you there?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

You played at Groveport/the Willows?

I was a member of Groveport for 18 years.

Treasurer, USGA district rep, the usual things a long time member gets/has to do. I refuse to ever call that place the Willows. That was high farce. When I was treasurer, I wanted to fire the superintendent because he wouldn't replace the downed willow trees. He said they were "dirty" and created a lot of extra work. I went to O S U. I wasn't good enough to play anything there. Brian Webb would have been at OU in the 66-72 range. Jerry Roof (the champ) would have been there around 60-64.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Yes, he's become a good golfer with time lol

He was quite excellent in the early 90's too.....

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

• 2 weeks later...
My company donates to the local Nationwide Tour event so I get to play in the pro-am every year. A couple years ago I got to play with Camilo Villegas in his only year on that tour. I showed up and had no idea who he was at the time but he has made a name for himself since then. He didn't take it too seriously as he was using the round for practice but he could really play. He was a blast to play with and a super nice guy who just wanted to make it really fun for us.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Been playing with a mutual friend lately who played college golf at about a +2. I feel like it has been helping me out a lot, being able to see how he manages the courses I play at and such. It also makes the round a little more exciting when you know someone in you're group is going to play all the par 5s as longer par 4s, albeit a little disappointing when I eventually sucker myself into trying to hit one and come up about 30yds short :\.

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

I have been very fortunate to play 5 rounds with one or more pros, but the best golfer I ever played with was a professional hustler on a high end municipal course where a lot of doctors play.

I happened to take a day off in the middle of the week and the starter matched me and this guy who had a John Daly type body with a couple of guys who quickly revealed themselves to be doctors.

The two doctors were almost scratch golfers and at that time I was about a 3and we all played the first 3 holes very close with the John Daly Type struggling. One of the doctors suggested we play for $10 a hole and the John Daly type was hesitant but said OK.

We played the next 3 holes dead even except the John Daly type lost two and won one hole. He wanted to double the bet and we did. Again he won one and lost two.

At the turn, one of the doctors suggested $50 a hole and the John Daly type said he was down but starting to feel good and thought he could go $100. The doctors got greedy and agreed; it was to much for me to risk so I begged out of the betting entirely. What followed was the most awesome exhibition of golf I have ever seen - the longest, straightest drives, iron shots that always seemed to hit in the perfect place to run up close and lots of tap in birdies and an easy eagle on the par 5. He shot 10 under on the back 9 of a par 72 course and both doctors were writing sizable checks. My guess is that he did it again to others the same day. Never saw that guy again, but he was the best I ever saw play; I just wished I could have seen his "A" game for a full round and a possible 52.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I guess the best I've ever played with would have to be Dottie Pepper, seeing as she won 2 majors, with 17 victories total in her career. Played with her in a pro-am back in 2004 just before she retired. Luckily we got her when she was in a pretty good mood. She only snapped at one fan during our round.

Other major winners I've played with: Morgan Pressel in 2007, and Jeong Jang in 2005. I've also played with Angela Stanford, Dorothy Delasin, and Deb Richard.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

Ha ha! The best golfer I've ever played with is me! And thats not saying much. My best round is 10 over. So, does that mean the best golfer I've ever played with is a 10hcp?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

My Brother is a player that I have battled with for over 30 years, and it is always a pleasure to go head to head with him.

I also played with a guy who claimed to have played many matches against Ben Crenshaw back in his college day's. He and I had a great battle that day we played together before I finally put him away on the closing two holes.

But, The best player I ever played was a kid from Ft. Lewis WA, back in the late 80's. He was the son of a 0-6 Officer and was playing college golf for a local school. He and I basically owned the practice range there at Ft Lewis by default,,lol! Meaning we were always out there hitting balls. He had one end of the range and I had the other. Finally one day we met in the middle so to speak and we started playing together. At that time I was averaging 75 and he was shooting between 70-67. He taught me a lot about how to score and I think I helped him prepare for competition by pushing him to play well. It was a great couple summers that we had and I know it is what would eventually help me reach a scratch handicap and a number of tournament wins in the early 90's!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Either this guy that's in college right now who still drops by my local course occasionally or my teacher. My teacher is a great putter. I believe he played on some mini tours and plays some senior tour events (he's 51). Apparently he knows fuzzy and some other guys like zach johnson but idk. The dude in college hits it a ton. He smokes it past the treeline at my driving range which is well past 250 with crappy range balls. I'm pretty sure he hits it past 300.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

A buddy of mine from high school. He was or still is a great player. He always drove the ball straight and far and was a great putter with short game. I admired how calm, cool he was at all times. He was always able to make something happen when he was in a bad situation. A true grinder that was able to pull a bogey at the worst in all situations.

He used to have this beat up set of the original Cleveland blades/musclebacks..before the CG1's..think they were 588's. Those suckers were beat up but and they had a dime sized rust spot on almost all the faces..and he could just about carve up any shot he needed.

He was never cocky and always relaxed and knew when to make people laugh. I guess his WHOLE game, including his personality, made him the best golfer I have ever played with.

First time I ever played golf, my boss at the time insisted I accompany him and I didn't have a clue what to do, he shot 65 and I shot about 140. Not a good way to be introduced to the game, I thought a 65 was what any golfer should card, he just shrugged it off. That was back in persimmon and balata days.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

A buddy of mine and I were playing a course in my hometown, and we came to a short par four. A single was on the green, and since my friend was wanting to attempt to drive the green I went ahead and teed off. The single got in his cart and headed back toward the tee box, we got worried that he was going to be mad at the fact that I teed off (although I was still about 100 yrds out). He gets out of his cart and asks if we mind him playing a few holes with us. We agreed without paying much attention and then he introduced himself... it was Stuart Cink. We played 10 holes together... and it was awesome. He worked on various parts of his game, and was very helpful in answering questions from playing with Tiger to the difference in PGA Tour courses vs country club types. It was great, and he is a great guy.

Discounting pros, I've played with a couple of the best am's in the country, +2's. Played with a guy who claimed a +4.0 handicap but he wasn't a touch on the +2's.

Pros - Neil Manchip is probably the best, National Coach of the Irish teams. Won the PGA of Ireland, so he's top calibre (beating the likes of Harrington, McGinley, Clarke). He's the top teaching coach in the country now. Other pro's were just decent scratches when they hung up their handicap-golf-shoes.

Mate of mine played opposite Rory McIlroy - and beat him! Ok the kid was like 12 and my mate was 17...but still!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

15 year old girl, daughter of a family friend of mine. 1.3 handicap. When I played with her, she broke par. Shot a 70 on a 71 135 rating course. Doesn't drive too long (200-ish), but hyper accurate short game.

She's already doing the NCAA recruitment circuit with university golf teams.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!