IGNORED

Planning on Getting a Fitting This Season?

Adam C
Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since all the new equipment is being released in the next couple weeks, I am sure some people are planning on setting up a fitting. Just finished this video with a few tips you might not have considered before. Hope it offers something new.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

The timing of this post was perfect for me. I watched the video yesterday, and did an iron fitting with my instructor today. Thanks for the content!

Points 1-3 were pretty well established through conversations with my instructor during lessons leading up to the fitting, as well as email exchanges. I thought I had narrowed down my choices pretty well, but when I arrived and saw all the heads I requested lined up, I realized there was no way I would have time to sufficiently test all of them. We had another good talk and narrowed it down to four (down from maybe ten).

Point 4, I was certainly prepared not to buy anything if the data suggested no improvement, but it was pretty apparent that the shaft/head combos I was testing were noticeably better than my current set.

Point 5, we accomplished this by rotating through the head/shaft combos multiple times, and then throwing out data that were clearly poor swings, and doing multiple passes with different shafts, and switching back to a previous shaft, and basically randomizing the combinations a bit. In the end, we eliminated quite a few shots to get what felt like a representative data set.

The thing that I wasn't prepared for was the physical aspect of the fitting (working from home has taken a toll on my physical fitness). It's been awhile since I've just hit ball after ball after ball like that. When I practice, I might hit 15-20 balls over a period of 45 minutes, with lots of conscious thought and feel rehearsals between each ball. In the end all of the options that I tested performed similarly better than my current set, so I went with the set that I preferred the look and feel/sound of the best.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/27/2021 at 11:27 PM, Darkfrog said:

The thing that I wasn't prepared for was the physical aspect of the fitting

People should heed this revelation!  

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, dennyjones said:

I will second this one. I did a one hour driver fitting yesterday at 2nd Swing and that was probably the max time for me. Towards the end my swing speed started dropping a little and I admit I was starting to get tired.

And as has been true with my previous fitting sessions, what I thought I would like isn't what was working best for me. Just reinforces that you really need to hit a few different options and go with what is best for you and your swing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

On 1/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, dennyjones said:

may choose to upgrade my irons this season.  If I do: I will get fitted.  This aspect, the physical endurance to see it through effectively, is one of the two that most concerns me.

I have been working out at my gym, weight training three days/week, since December.  These workout sessions generally run better than an hour.  I'm hoping the endurance I'm building up doing this will translate to swinging a club.

46 minutes ago, ssbn611 said:

And as has been true with my previous fitting sessions, what I thought I would like isn't what was working best for me. Just reinforces that you really need to hit a few different options and go with what is best for you and your swing. 

That's kinda sorta my other main concern.  I think I have ideas of what will probably best suit me, but they're only guesses.  More precisely, my bigger concern is my game is still developing.  I don't want to invest in irons I'll outgrow in a season.  For this reason I plan to play for a couple months and get plenty of range time in before scheduling a fitting.  I may well begin training with the SuperSpeed system during that time, as well.

Similar to #3, I'd suggest bringing your old club(s) (6/7 iron or driver).  Some golf stores with launch monitors may buff the results a bit to make it appear you are getting more distance. But, if you are comparing to the current clubs, you will see the real change.  I've had several people at my course complain that they just bought new clubs because they were going 15yds further in the store.  Then on the range, they went exactly the same distance as their old clubs.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!