IGNORED

New Pace Maker Put In, Now What?

cooke119
Note: This thread is 919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently went through some heart issues and had a pace maker put in. I'm not allowed to play golf for eight weeks, they say I could pull the wires out of where they are attached in the heart.  To say the least I'm a little concerned about playing again even after eight weeks.  Anyone been through this?

Our senior member of my group (20 guys ranging from ages 36-72) has a pacemaker and has no issues playing golf or staying active. Last week he shot 75* with no problems. He just has to stay away from my new rangefinder that has the magnet on it to attach to the cart. Common sense and following doctors orders will get you on the course with ease.  I have heard plenty of stories of guys that are retired and have no issues.

*There is no correlation to his pacemaker and his gorgeous rhythm. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 4/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, TourSpoon said:

Our senior member of my group (20 guys ranging from ages 36-72) has a pacemaker and has no issues playing golf or staying active. Last week he shot 75* with no problems. He just has to stay away from my new rangefinder that has the magnet on it to attach to the cart. Common sense and following doctors orders will get you on the course with ease.  I have heard plenty of stories of guys that are retired and have no issues.

*There is no correlation to his pacemaker and his gorgeous rhythm. 

That is reassuring, thanks.

The wires have to "bed in". This takes a few weeks. Around 2 to 3 months seems to be the recommendation until a full swing.

Arnold Palmer had a pacemaker  - and even had it located slightly higher than normal so it wouldn't interfere with his golf swing.

Edited by Shorty
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

The wires have to "bed in". This takes a few weeks. Around 2 to 3 months seems to be the recommendation until a full swing.

Arnold Palmer had a pacemaker  - and even had it located slightly higher than normal so it wouldn't interfere with his golf swing.

Mine is mounted high in my chest so I don't think it will be a problem, Glad to see I'm in good company. I'm waiting two months for the wires to 'in 'bed' in the heart then I'll ask my doctor if it is OK to swing a club.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:16 AM, cooke119 said:

I recently went through some heart issues and had a pace maker put in. I'm not allowed to play golf for eight weeks, they say I could pull the wires out of where they are attached in the heart.  To say the least I'm a little concerned about playing again even after eight weeks.  Anyone been through this?

I was the surprised recipient of a pacemaker last summer. I got the same advice about not playing golf for at least 8 weeks and I highly recommend that you stick to that schedule, at least. If you're anything like me, it feels right now as if you may never play golf again, but I can assure you, assuming no other contraindicating factors, you will. It's really important to be patient and let those wires get scarred (locked) into place before you start swinging a golf club around. It's also going to take a while before the implant site starts feeling closer to "normal". I know how tough it is but I'll say it again - patience will pay off.

It's been about 10 months for me and I'm back to beating a ball around the course and I do not worry about the wires in the least. Please do come back to let us know how you're doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I was the surprised recipient of a pacemaker last summer. I got the same advice about not playing golf for at least 8 weeks and I highly recommend that you stick to that schedule, at least. If you're anything like me, it feels right now as if you may never play golf again, but I can assure you, assuming no other contraindicating factors, you will. It's really important to be patient and let those wires get scarred (locked) into place before you start swinging a golf club around. It's also going to take a while before the implant site starts feeling closer to "normal". I know how tough it is but I'll say it again - patience will pay off.

It's been about 10 months for me and I'm back to beating a ball around the course and I do not worry about the wires in the least. Please do come back to let us know how you're doing.

Zippo, I heard you asked your doctor if those wires could trigger a quicker swing with a stronger impact release on the ball. Especially if the wires were remotely connected, via Bluetooth, with the PXG driver.😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Funny 1

My father had one installed almost 15 years ago.  Now, at age 85, he still plays golf twice a week.

Modern medicine can do some amazing things…  👍

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Zippo, I heard you asked your doctor if those wires could trigger a quicker swing with a stronger impact release on the ball. Especially if the wires were remotely connected, via Bluetooth, with the PXG driver.😁

I think my wife may have requested an On/Off switch...

23 hours ago, Zippo said:

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

17 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

While going through this heart problem I lost my wife of 47 years to cancer, so physically I'm doing good, mentally not so much. She passed away on April 5th, it really sucks.

So sorry for your loss.   :-(

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

@cooke119I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad that must feel.

I'm not a doctor of any sort and I'm sure you know this but it's going to really important to find any small positive thing about each day that you can while you heal from your loss and your surgery. I was close to depression from my implant and subsequent angioplasty procedure and other issues and while I was extremely lucky to have the full support of my wife, she was not able to reach into my head and make things better for me. I had to do the work for myself in my own mind and try to find a way to realize that while I was feeling very low right now, this too would pass. I urge you to find and accept whatever support you need wherever you can find it. Come to the TST grill room and vent, or send me a PM and vent to me.

Golf will still be there when you're ready.

Edited by Zippo
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zippo said:

@cooke119I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad that must feel.

I'm not a doctor of any sort and I'm sure you know this but it's going to really important to find any small positive thing about each day that you can while you heal from your loss and your surgery. I was close to depression from my implant and subsequent angioplasty procedure and other issues and while I was extremely lucky to have the full support of my wife, she was not able to reach into my head and make things better for me. I had to do the work for myself in my own mind and try to find a way to realize that while I was feeling very low right now, this too would pass. I urge you to find and accept whatever support you need wherever you can find it. Come to the TST grill room and vent, or send me a PM and vent to me.

Golf will still be there when you're ready.

You're a good man, Zippo.  You understand Cooke's health issue from the inside out.  Most of us can't fathom it.  May your current driver deliver you 300 yards down the center of the fairway.

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

Cooke... hang in there... the members of this forum are with you.  Especially Zippo.  He understands.  Something about getting back to golf that replenishes your soul.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, Robb77 said:

I truly believe you can go through this easily. Maybe after 2 months you`ll change your mind, because you always need to do something that you like, to get better 👍

Once the doctor gives me the OK I plan on playing a lot of golf which I love. I'm in a league which plays every Tuesday, good bunch of guys. Given my wife passed away I plan on traveling and playing different course. Gotta keep my mind busy.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Once the doctor gives me the OK I plan on playing a lot of golf which I love. I'm in a league which plays every Tuesday, good bunch of guys. Given my wife passed away I plan on traveling and playing different course. Gotta keep my mind busy.

Post round, after playing those different golf courses, always take that beer or cocktail and make a silent toast to your wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and wishes regards my wife's passing, I'm taking it day by day.

Well my eight weeks are up this coming Friday, doctor has given his OK after that. Think I'll hit the range first and see how things go before I go out on the course. I know I'll need to work on my swing, I think a lot of stretching is in order too.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled on this thread and was wondering how you are doing?  I have a pacemaker also, implanted in 2013.  For me, I started slow; chipping and putting and worked my way up

Note: This thread is 919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!