IGNORED

BirdieWrap Review (Pre-Cut Athletic Tape Strips)

• Administrator

BirdieWrap Hero BirdieWrap, at birdiewrap.com, is just what it looks like: pre-cut pieces of tape in a colorful style that make it easy to apply just the right amount of tape to your fingers, your heel, or anywhere that you may currently use athletic tape to solve hot spots, small cuts, blisters, or other ailments.

BirdieWrap asks if golfers:

• Have hot-spots or blisters show up during a round or a long session at the driving range?
  • Get irritated by small nicks and cuts that seem to appear only when playing golf?
  • Think about how you can eliminate distractions from your game?
  • Use band-aids or white medical tape to wrap your fingers?

Of course, if you meet any of those criteria, BirdieWap can help. Does it?

BirdieWrap Teeing Up

Performance

Look, this is bound to be a short review. It’s esentially pre-cut pieces of athletic tape. Let’s take a look at the details first.

Size
The strips measure about 2cm x 9cm (about ¾” by 3 ½”).

BirdieWrap on Finger

Packaging
Two rolls per box, 55 strips per roll, mean 110 strips of athletic tape per box.

Cost
1 box (110 strips over two rolls) costs $18.99. Two boxes (220 strips) goes for $29.99. 3 (330) go for $39.99. BirdieWrap commonly offer discounts or promotions on their Instagram page .

BirdieWrap Box Side

Use
I’ve got a roll of athletic tape in my bag. It’s kinda old, it’s sticky, it can be tough to tear, and it’s a bit more narrow than I typically like, which means I have to wrap it around a few times to get the width I need.

BirdieWrap Box

BirdieWrap is about ¾” wide, which is just about perfect. It’s the perfect size to fit between the joints on my hand, as you can see above. The strip is sticky enough to hold for an entire round, whether you sweat a little as the tape will overlap with itself, but not so sticky as to leave any real residue or make it impossible to adjust (or if you drop it and it sticks to something else).

BirdieWrap is flexible and stretchy, which means you can apply it as tightly or loosely as you like. Too tight, of course, and you’ll cut off a little blood flow, but the tape will hold. The stretchiness is nice because, unlike typical athletic joint tape (or at least the stuff I have), you can get it closer to a knuckle without it inhibiting your ability to grip a club.

BirdieWrap Box Back

As for durability, take a look at this picture:

BirdieWrap After 18

That’s my right hand, and I use an interlocking grip. You can see a bit of dirtiness on my hands, but the tape looks to be in great condition. This was on a day that reached the 70s, and I walked a full 18 holes with a push cart. The BirdieWrap not only stayed in place, it stayed clean, comfortable, and didn’t twist or bind.

Removal was a snap, and my fingers were cleaner beneath the BirdieWrap than elsewhere, with no sticky residue.

The BirdieWrap photographs (and looks) a bit better than it probably was. When I wear white athletic finger tape, it gets just as dirty (or dirtier) as my hands. The BirdieWrap’s color and pattern help to hide any dirt that you may see on a plain white strip of tape.

The One Downside… Rectified
The one downside that I discovered? BirdieWrap needs a case. Otherwise, it can just unspool in your golf bag, trunk, or wherever else you put it. Sure, you can wrap a rubber band around it, but that’s not cool.

Fortunately, since the time we began reviewing these and the time we published the review, they’ve introduced a case. They’re often free with the purchase of a three-pack. The cases appear to be small, lightweight, and perfectly sized.

Conclusion

I’ve long carried around athletic finger tape in my golf bag. In fact, I currently use this from Amazon . It’s about $14 for six (6!) ½” x 30′ rolls. 30 is about 100 3.5″ strips, so I should get about 600 strips for $14.

BirdieWrap Stacked

That doesn’t compare well to BirdieWrap at 330 strips for $39.99.

But, like I tell my wife, sometimes when you’re talking about a few dollars, particularly per year , sometimes the convenience is worth it. In BirdieWrap’s case, I think it is.

First, I can’t imagine playing so much that I could use 330 strips of tape in a year. And if you do, $39.99 is a drop in the bucket. You likely spend more than that just driving your car around the parking lot of your golf course.

The main benefits of BirdieWrap are that the strips are pre-cut, they’re stretchy (much more so than the plain tape rolls), and they’re stylish and colorful.

I’m not Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos by any means, but to me, the convenience, functionality, and style are worth the extra (Andrew) Jackson.

Additional Photos

BirdieWrap Opened

BirdieWrap Two Pieces

BirdieWrap Finger

BirdieWrap Box on Green

BirdieWrap Rolls

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to BirdieWrap Review (Pre-Cut Athletic Tape Strips)

I just ordered a 3 pack and extra case so I can keep one on my playing bag and one on my practice bag. I will most likely use these for more than golf. When I work around the house, my skin can crack. I’ve been using white thin rolls of athletic tape. The problem is because of cracks at the ends of my thumbs, it’s hard to tear the tape. The white tape does get dirty too.

Thanks for posting the review.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The convenience of this product outweighs the additional cost compared to elastic golfer’s tape IMO. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Mine just got delivered. I ordered and extra case for my practice bag. 
56880DF9-670B-46ED-9596-EA1F4C4DDC4F.jpeg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a roll of this a while ago, and just tried it out for the first time the last couple of days. I cut my thumb with a clothes hanger fairly deeply. Wrapped it with the bridiewrap for gold and for just doing things around the house, and it was great. Very easy to put on, and it stayed stuck on for a long time. Very pleased. Hope I don’t need to use it very often, but it’s a good product. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

44 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I cut my thumb with a clothes hanger fairly deeply.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have never tried athletic tape.  But, given the amount of practice and playing I intend to do in the coming months, perhaps I should. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

16 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I have never tried athletic tape.  But, given the amount of practice and playing I intend to do in the coming months, perhaps I should. 

I use it now and then. Sometimes I tear a chunk of skin off of my left thumb and I have to tape it up to protect it while it’s healing and while the new skin is still soft.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 10 months later...

25% off with coupon code PGA2022. Just bought a 3-pack using the code.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1