IGNORED

Best Places to Stay and Play Golf for 1-3 Months

Hi All,

I’m exploring the idea of an extended golf holiday. Interested to hear what suggestions and options are out there.

can be anywhere in the world (as long as can travel there during COVID)

could be alone or in a group if anybody was interested in joining.

Where would be the best place to base myself for around 3 months to stay and play in the same area and what kind of packages are available to keep the cost down?

I’m a Brit, 9 handicap, fully vaccinated if that helps

Since you said 3 months. I went with the approach of golf course density. No clue if most of them are private or not, but i might be a starting place to check. 

Golf courses per square mile | Golf Channel

Rank State No. of courses Square miles Courses /sq. mile
1 R.I. 56 1,545 0.03625
2 Mass. 376 10,555 0.03562
3 N.J. 295 8,722 0.03382
4 Conn. 179 5,544 0.03229
5 Del. 45 1,954 0.02303

Definitely the NE United States has a lot of golf courses near each other. Stay in a city of Hartford, CT and you would be able to be with in 2 hour drive of golf courses in three of those states. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Birdie McBogey said:

Hi All,

I’m exploring the idea of an extended golf holiday. Interested to hear what suggestions and options are out there.

can be anywhere in the world (as long as can travel there during COVID)

could be alone or in a group if anybody was interested in joining.

Where would be the best place to base myself for around 3 months to stay and play in the same area and what kind of packages are available to keep the cost down?

I’m a Brit, 9 handicap, fully vaccinated if that helps

Please consider the weather before you decide on this.  For example someone above mentioned the north east United States.  Great if you playing it in spring or summer, a nightmare edging towards winter.  On the other hand, places like Arizona and Texas have a huge number of courses, but playing there in peak summer is asking for heatstroke and edging towards winter is a more feasible alternative.

Another alternative to consider is 'developing countries', where golf tends to be a lot cheaper, especially with the strong pound.

• Informative 1

Florida is a great state if you go play around Orlando. Its centered, and you got a few hours to each coast. Also, the three months that include the first month of off-season rates in Florida will take some sting of the price. Some greens fees get cut in half down in Florida. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Florida is a great state if you go play around Orlando. Its centered, and you got a few hours to each coast. Also, the three months that include the first month of off-season rates in Florida will take some sting of the price. Some greens fees get cut in half down in Florida. 

For my future reference, when are greens fees cut in half in Florida?  I can't figure out offhand when the off-season would be.  I'm familiar with similar seasons (and sometimes more than half) in parts of the south-west, but not there.

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

For my future reference, when are greens fees cut in half in Florida?  I can't figure out offhand when the off-season would be.  I'm familiar with similar seasons (and sometimes more than half) in parts of the south-west, but not there.

Its been a while since I've been to the Orlando area, but we use to go in early April. I thought our rates were typically slightly lower, but I could be wrong. You can definitely get deals on hotels, condo's or rental homes in off season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in Southeast Florida.  The course I typically play has reduced rates for the off season between the end of April until the end of August.  Sometimes rates further reduce in the afternoon.  Afternoons during the summer would be the time you can likely find the lowest rates.  People avoid those times due to the heat.  Rates are highest between fall and spring.  Peak is typically Thanksgiving to Easter when seasonal resident (snowbird) play is at its highest.

42 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Its been a while since I've been to the Orlando area, but we use to go in early April. I thought our rates were typically slightly lower, but I could be wrong. You can definitely get deals on hotels, condo's or rental homes in off season. 

Or stay at @Vinsk house!

bill murray GIF

• Funny 1

Like Scotland, Southport has a lot of courses in the area as well, and close by.

If in the US, I like Pinehurst, not a lot of driving too. But not a lot to do outside of golf.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The first thing needed to answer the question is which 3 months of the year. After that where in the world you are interested in going to for 3 months. If Asia is on the list then Thailand is the place. Hotels or rentals are very reasonable several hundred courses to choice from with good rates, great food and lots of things to do other than golf. USA in Summer look at Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota. Lots of reasonable priced course and some great golf.

• 2 months later...

Myrtle Beach....you have some give and take on prices.  Winter (Dec-Feb) courses offer very low rates, even cheaper if you invest in a "snowbird passport card", weather is usually pretty decent with a few days you probably wouldn't want to be on the course (this week it has been in the 70s).  Spring (March-May) great weather but it's prime golf season and rates are at their peak. Rental rates start to rise a bit.  Summer (June-Aug) cheap golf rates, hot weather and expensive as well as hard to come by monthly rentals.  Fall (Sept-Nov)- Absolute heavenly. Still have warm days but without the humidity. Water is still warm enough to enjoy. Golf rates are up from the summer for the fall season but not unreasonable in my opinion.  Monthly rentals at a decent price can be found. 

In addition to the 80 plus golf courses in the immediate area, Pinehurst is only a 2 hour drive and Charleston is about an hour and a half south.