IGNORED

Camera Noises

iacas
Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
You'd think that camera men on the PGA Tour would ask for a camera that didn't make noise. I understand that cameras have shutters, and they move quickly and thus make noise, but you'd think it'd be possible to make noiseless cameras. They'd be great in wildlife too, as they wouldn't spook animals.

Then you could take all the pictures of Tiger Woods' backswing you wanted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe its me but I've had people fart burp sneeze cough jiggle change tees and even had passing cars honk the horn and still hit some good shots.When I'm hitting the ball nothing else matters.Then again being Lefty we are in our right mind all the time soooooooo!!!

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

• 7 years later...

The problem is a camera shutter is a distinct sound that somehow pierces all background noise. I don't think players get bothered by low rumblings of a crowd as much or at all as a quick snap sound of a camera.

The problem is a camera shutter is a distinct sound that somehow pierces all background noise. I don't think players get bothered by low rumblings of a crowd as much or at all as a quick snap sound of a camera.

I know this won't happen, but it seems like if the PGA really wanted to speed up play, they could have speakers on each tee that put out white noise loud enough to prevent players from hearing things like camera clicks or coughs or whatever. Or, allow players to use their own Ipods with white noise, if they want them.

Sadly no sensor works fast enough to not have a shutter so it is not possible yet for the camera guys to take the shot they want without a shutter. It is in the future but just not right now. Cell phone cameras are a different animal. They don't need to make the noise, that could be fixed.

Michael

I've often wondered if anyone has tried using ear plugs while golfing. I grew up playing on public courses only and have found that almost nothing gets through to me when standing over a shot.

Originally Posted by Pa Pa Jack

I've often wondered if anyone has tried using ear plugs while golfing. I grew up playing on public courses only and have found that almost nothing gets through to me when standing over a shot.

It's hard to feel all the butter associated with a pure shot struck with forged irons while wearing ear plugs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Sadly no sensor works fast enough to not have a shutter so it is not possible yet for the camera guys to take the shot they want without a shutter. It is in the future but just not right now.

Video cameras do not use mechanical shutters, i.e. they make no sound and can still have shutter speeds shorter than 1/1000.

But on DSLR cameras the mirror also makes some noise.

Yes, BUT, there is a massive resolution difference between the two. A video camera at most runs 1080p, which is 2 million pixels, the latest DSLR's are over 20 million pixels. The difference in the amount of data means that a shutter is required.

And yes this is an old thread. I didn't realize it until I read it the second time.

Michael

Almost every golfer I saw in the last four groups on Sunday at the US Women's Open in Kohler had earphones in and was listening to an MP3 player on the practice range.  I think one of the reasons they're not allowed on the course is the difficulty in monitoring whether they are hooked up to some electronics that can receive calls from walkie talkies or cell phones to prevent coaching in the middle of a competitive round.  Having said that, I saw an awful lot of coaching and receipt of advice from caddies, especially on the greens.

Didn't one of the first great female golfers have a putt on a hole at the Women's British Open 90 years ago or so when a train rumbled by 50 feet from the green?  The story goes that someone asked her how she kept her composure in light of the train and was able to sink her putt.  Her response was "What train?"  Now that's concentration.

It was kind of annoying not being able to take pictures during the competitive rounds except sneaking in a few with the cell phone's camera.  I sure saw a lot pro phototographers and their DSLR's were as loud or  louder than any typical amateur digital camera, most of which can be silenced.  Did have one clown sitting at the 8th green who got calls on his cell phone and didn't know how to silence it.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Somehow I think Tiger could still hear a silent shutter in his back swing........dude has rabbit ears. He can walk by patrons screaming "you da man and get in the hole" he should use that same "navy seal" like concentration during his swing.

Originally Posted by brocks

I know this won't happen, but it seems like if the PGA really wanted to speed up play, they could have speakers on each tee that put out white noise loud enough to prevent players from hearing things like camera clicks or coughs or whatever. Or, allow players to use their own Ipods with white noise, if they want them.

To speed up play, instead of white noise, the speakers should blast an air horn within 30 seconds, or however much time it is they're allowed for the shot. Then a clown runs out and smacks him (or her) with a cream pie. That would speed up play.

I don't know if this would happen, though.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!