IGNORED

The Stack System - A Conversation on Gaining Swing Speed

iacas

On 10/20/2023 at 6:05 PM, klineka said:

I will say the Full Speed Spectrum got a bit boring and repetitive the second half of the program,

I'm on lead arm enhancer, and I'm having a similar experience. It's the same 5 sets every time. The sets have gotten better from being "tempo" - which is 80% speed - to full to max. But it still doesn't feel as explosive or difficult as the foundations program was. Interesting to hear that full speed spectrum is similar.

I am making progress with the lead arm speed, so that's good. My 195g speed is roughly the same as it was during the end of foundations, so I'm not losing anything. But it's not an intense or interesting as foundations.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did the baseline today. I’ve had the stack system for a while but this is the time of year for me to start working out and working on the game. 
IMG_6520.jpeg

I haven’t really read into much on this or expectations but it is about as I expected. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

Did the baseline today. I’ve had the stack system for a while but this is the time of year for me to start working out and working on the game. 
IMG_6520.jpeg

I haven’t really read into much on this or expectations but it is about as I expected. 

I'm surprised your stack speed and eSpeed are as low as they are compared to your driver speed. 

We have similar driver speeds but my stack speed and eSpeed are a decent bit faster.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

16 hours ago, klineka said:

I'm surprised your stack speed and eSpeed are as low as they are compared to your driver speed. 

We have similar driver speeds but my stack speed and eSpeed are a decent bit faster.

I wonder if there’s a familiarity/comfort with swinging it. Because at first, it did feel off. It was only day 1. We’ll see how things change with the routines. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Second session of the Neural Program and hit what I think is an all time set PR for me with 195g at 113mph which puts eSpeed at 123mph.

Did foundation 1/18 today. 195g now at 107 (max speed of 109). 240g at 99. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Q. about outdoor training and impact of cold weather.

As I am considering getting The Stack I am convinced my ceilings are not high enough to use it indoors.

I hope to start with it in January which would mean cold temps ((Michigan) which may negatively impact the training due to wearing extra layers and also the cold may cause slower swings in general.  Sever weather days may also hinder a consistent training schedule.

I can always wait till spring to start but that will forfeit 2-3 months.

Thoughts?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

You can't swing it in golf clothes in your garage?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, StuM said:

As I am considering getting The Stack I am convinced my ceilings are not high enough to use it indoors.

I hope to start with it in January which would mean cold temps ((Michigan) which may negatively impact the training due to wearing extra layers and also the cold may cause slower swings in general.  Sever weather days may also hinder a consistent training schedule.

Thoughts?

Do you go to a gym? At plenty of gyms I have been a member of they often have separate rooms where they do group classes and such that are frequently empty and usually have decently high ceilings. 

I have 10ft ceilings in my garage and that is plenty high enough for me while standing on a ~1" turf mat and I'm pretty tall too (6-4"). 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, klineka said:

Do you go to a gym? At plenty of gyms I have been a member of they often have separate rooms where they do group classes and such that are frequently empty and usually have decently high ceilings. 

I have 10ft ceilings in my garage and that is plenty high enough for me while standing on a ~1" turf mat and I'm pretty tall too (6-4"). 

Had not thought about a gym.  I am not  a member but that is easily changed.

You also gave me another idea, I could take it into my office, they are @ 15’ ceilings.  We have a few areas open enough for a golf swing.

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't swing it in golf clothes in your garage?

I have a detached un-heated garage.  I could get a small space heater to take the chill off but I think my rafters are around 9 1/2 feet.  I can test that out once I am back on my feet.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I could get a small space heater to take the chill off but I think my rafters are around 9 1/2 feet

My house has 9ft ceilings, which are tall enough for swinging most clubs without hitting the ceiling (I'm 5-11). Haven't tried with driver, but the Stack is shorter than a driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

@StuM, I would encourage you to start now if you’re motivated- and it reads as if you are. You’ll figure out a workout site and you will be well ahead by the time spring arrives. I prefer to start changes ASAP because life will throw you curveballs, and you may never get started.

I enjoy Stack training both for speed and putting. Last night I hit high speeds for each training weight except the baseline 195, which I matched. I am eager to try again tomorrow. I expect you may have the same feelings.  Good luck!

17 hours ago, StuM said:

Thoughts?

Don’t do it outside in the winter. I’ve tried that two winters. It takes a long time to warm up and at our age that is very important. It became counter productive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Got to a max 117 with the 195g, the set was 112. I think when I took big swings before, I was loosening my grip too much. I tried gripping firmer especially in transition and saw immediate improvement. My 145g swings stink. I’m not sure why they are not faster than the 195g swings. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

7 hours ago, phillyk said:

Got to a max 117 with the 195g, the set was 112. I think when I took big swings before, I was loosening my grip too much. I tried gripping firmer especially in transition and saw immediate improvement. My 145g swings stink. I’m not sure why they are not faster than the 195g swings. 

Those numbers seem more in line with what I'd expect based on your driver speed.

I wouldn't worry too much right now about the fact that 145g are slower than 195g, I experienced something similar too, I think it's just a variance from person to person, some people swing lighter weights faster than they "should" relative to their 195g speed, and others swing the heavier weights faster than they "should relative to 195g speed. Just depends on how you swing, load, tempo, etc. 

Just did my 5th Neural Drive session and tied my all time max 195g set speed of 113mph, eSpeed at 123mph. Right where I want to be in order to be swinging driver at 120mph+ on the course.

On 11/2/2023 at 6:11 AM, Clemsonfan said:

@StuM, I would encourage you to start now if you’re motivated- and it reads as if you are. You’ll figure out a workout site and you will be well ahead by the time spring arrives. I prefer to start changes ASAP because life will throw you curveballs, and you may never get started.

I enjoy Stack training both for speed and putting. Last night I hit high speeds for each training weight except the baseline 195, which I matched. I am eager to try again tomorrow. I expect you may have the same feelings.  Good luck!

I wish I could start now, unfortunately I am laid up from surgery and can’t put weight on my right foot.  swinging a club is out for a while.  I am planning the Stack to be part of my routine once I can swing a club but that is January at earliest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

On 11/2/2023 at 4:34 AM, boogielicious said:

Don’t do it outside in the winter. I’ve tried that two winters. It takes a long time to warm up and at our age that is very important. It became counter productive.

I’m doing it outside-ish in winter. Anywhere from 32 to 50 degrees is the expectation. I’m wearing my winter pull over for all my sessions so far. I feel warmed up enough for mine so far, but I assume my clothing is taking some mph off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I am now on full speed spectrum. Glad to be done with lead arm enhancer. That said, lead arm enhancer worked:

IMG_3907.thumb.png.95b3807bd2679765bfb53706bcb0b4c1.png

I’m curious if I dislike full speed spectrum as much as @klineka

Also, I’d like to file a formal complaint for my grit score going down to 97% because I started the program a day after it was suggested. Normally, there’s a range for that, so I’m annoyed. Oh well.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: