IGNORED

Are There Any Downsides to the 'Fleetwood Finish'?

On 12/3/2021 at 8:56 AM, Vinsk said:

I would say momentum? If you were sitting on the hood of a car going 50mph and the car hit a wall you’d hit the wall at 50mph. But if the car slammed it’s brakes ( assuming almost complete stoppage) you’d actually accelerate a bit and hit the wall faster?

I'm gonna have to call "no" on that. Been a while since College Physics, but I don't see how you would accelerate in that 2nd scenario.

Could "slamming on the brakes" increase club head speed by changing the kinematic sequence? If you're sitting in a car going 60 and you slow down gradually, you don't feel all that much. But slam on the brakes, and you are pushed forward against the seat belt. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not sure if it's a downside per se, but from what I understand if you don't pinch it pretty good, you might not stop it quickly enough, as it is a lower spin shot to begin with and typically a flatter trajectory.

But I think think it's an awesome iron shot. If Im not wrong Tiger broke the back of an entire generation of golfers with trajectory control.

Vishal S.

The 3/4 finish is from a 3/4 swing. He’s just taking something off his swing for control. It’s not unique to him nor does he do it all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Tiger broke the back of an entire generation of golfers with trajectory control.

Traj and reps, baby! Traj and reps...

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

48 minutes ago, billchao said:

The 3/4 finish is from a 3/4 swing. He’s just taking something off his swing for control. It’s not unique to him nor does he do it all the time.

What a swing! I like the 3/4 approach with irons for me for control reasons. Although I'm a pretty short hitter, I'd be happy to lose a few yards in exchange for more control with my irons and wedges. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Bob M said:

He is considered one of the better iron players in the game today…

Is he though?

I'd say that's a no.

2 hours ago, Big Lex said:

Could "slamming on the brakes" increase club head speed by changing the kinematic sequence?

Possibly. But…

2 hours ago, Big Lex said:

If you're sitting in a car going 60 and you slow down gradually, you don't feel all that much. But slam on the brakes, and you are pushed forward against the seat belt. 

That's not a good analogy at all.

56 minutes ago, billchao said:

Right. This.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think Bob is referring to the talking heads we have to listen to watching golf. Of course they tend to say that about every player. I think he’s just average.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think Bob is referring to the talking heads we have to listen to watching golf. Of course they tend to say that about every player. I think he’s just average.

Wow tough crowd 😀. @boogielicious is correct however that the talking heads had an influence on my opinion (the meandmygolf guys really salivated). I do note however, that being 64th in "Approach the Green" puts him ahead of roughly 2/3s of the other players on the PGA Tour for 2022 which isn't too shabby. 

The original question, however, was whether the cut off finish Fleetwood frequently uses with irons has a downside and to reading the previous entries in this thread it doesn't appear so. Am I missing anything? 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

2 hours ago, Bob M said:

Wow tough crowd 😀. @boogielicious is correct however that the talking heads had an influence on my opinion (the meandmygolf guys really salivated). I do note however, that being 64th in "Approach the Green" puts him ahead of roughly 2/3s of the other players on the PGA Tour for 2022 which isn't too shabby. 

The original question, however, was whether the cut off finish Fleetwood frequently uses with irons has a downside and to reading the previous entries in this thread it doesn't appear so. Am I missing anything? 

I’ve used it as part of a drill. It does give you a certain feel of extending after impact, which is helpful. I will also add that for we older folks that don’t have a lot of flexibility, the full finish position is a bit of a challenge. So this finish can help. Some of the guys on the Champions Tour finish this way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave