IGNORED

Team Matches When You Only Have 7 Golfers?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a golf trip in about 1 month and 2 weeks. One of our guys had to bow out because of a knee injury. 

I was wondering if any of you have any good options for equalizing team matches when one team has 4 and another has 3? We will do things like, best ball but must use lowest 3 scores for a hole. 

Thanks! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

What if one guy "sits out" or is the "wild card" in every round?

The "wild card" could be the interesting angle. Or, he could play for one team on one nine, and the other team on the other nine.

Are the teams "set" for the whole trip, or do you play different teams each round or day?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Are the teams "set" for the whole trip, or do you play different teams each round or day?

We switch it up daily. We try to get it so you play with everyone at least once (in a foursome, not necessarily a teammate. Example, last day we play singles). 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

The normal Sunday game that I play in is foursomes, each group adds up the best three scores and then lowest score wins when everything is added up.   If we have a threesome, then the 4th score is par.   While you think that that stability is great, it's a net game.   So that fourth player never contributes to a below par score.   But it can help negate a bad hole.

For context, for nine holes we generally have anything from +3 to -12 with the best three net scores on each hole.   We play front 9 total, back 9 total and overall 18 hole total for three separate prizes.

So if you have 7, then each round mix up who is in the 3-some with "par-man"

• Like 1

—Adam

I like the wild card idea and do two person teams drawn from a hat after the round is done. Low combined net wins. Wild card gets his money back for the round out of the pot.  

This assumes everyone has a bona fide handicap. 😁

I like the idea of the wild card.  How many rounds do you play?  It would be nice if every player was the Wild card once, but that would require 7 Rounds.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I like the idea of the wild card.  How many rounds do you play?  It would be nice if every player was the Wild card once, but that would require 7 Rounds.  

We play 5 rounds, and the last day is singles. So, we only have 4 rounds of team golf. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

My normal weekend group plays (among other things) the best ball of the foursome against each other foursome in Nassau-style match play.  If a team is short a player, their 4th is taken as a net par.  @imsys0042 mentioned this kind of thing, and it seems to work OK if you're playing group against group.  We used to take the approach @iacas suggested, have one player from the 4-man team sit out each hole, so it is 3 against 3, but in the end we prefer to have "Old Man Par" on the 3-man team.  For two-man teams, probably the only way I can think to make it work is the wild card, and I'd draw that name at random after the round is over.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 3/8/2022 at 5:20 PM, Carl3 said:

I like the wild card idea and do two person teams drawn from a hat after the round is done. Low combined net wins. Wild card gets his money back for the round out of the pot.  

This assumes everyone has a bona fide handicap. 😁

Our Mens League does a blind draw after play is complete. Exclude the names in the threesome and draw randomly one player from the remaining players. Essentially, put their names in a hat and pick one.

Or do “odd and even” holes where it’s two best ball net on hole 1 and 1 best ball net on 2. Repeat rest of the way. Use 85% of handicaps.

19 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Our Mens League does a blind draw after play is complete. Exclude the names in the threesome and draw randomly one player from the remaining players. Essentially, put their names in a hat and pick one.

To me, this is the easiest way to solve your problem. 

Either that or just play all seven of you against each other and settle up at the end. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

What our group does is choose teams of two after the round is over. Think picking numbers out of a hat though we use a beer glass at the 19th. When we have an uneven number of golfers we pull one number twice. It's easy and fair to all. This way it doesn't matter who is on your 4some. 

We have played that the threesome has to alternate one player being the "double ball". So if you are playing 3 scores, or 17 scores in 6 holes (out of 24 possible with 4 players), or whatever game, the double ball can go either way. Double ball birdies are really good as are pars, but when the first player is in his pocket, and the second is in trouble, then the pressure of the double ball can be really fun. 

Another one is the pick 2 where one player is used twice in the 2 man teams format. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!