IGNORED

Callaway X 14 Irons

Wneill20
Note: This thread is 738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i stoped playing golf 15 years or so and now have decide it is time to start again now that I'm retired. I still have a set of Callaway X 14 Irons Steelhead Irons with Steel Shafts that are in excellent shape. By question is have they change the design of golf clubs enough to warrant buying a new set or swing what i have ? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Wneill20 said:

So i stoped playing golf 15 years or so and now have decide it is time to start again now that I'm retired. I still have a set of Callaway X 14 Irons Steelhead Irons with Steel Shafts that are in excellent shape. By question is have they change the design of golf clubs enough to warrant buying a new set or swing what i have ? 

Thanks

Welcome to The Sand Trap. The best advice would be to play with those and also try out new stuff. I play cavity backs myself. Older tech but still work great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought some X-12's, around 2000.  Took 3 different brand new 7 irons to the range, a beautiful Titleist, a beautiful Mizuno, an ugly Callaway.  Head-to-head and the ugliest won.  Couldn't wait to get rid of them.  But the lesson remains:  Date the ugly irons for their personality, not for their looks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

Start playing with your existing clubs and once you hone a bit of a swing, get fit.  Of course, that might lead to buying a new set 😊

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I would play what you have for now. If you really get into it and enjoy it now that you have more time, you might then want to look at an upgrade. I find technology moves faster in the driver/ fairway wood world than in the iron world, so in the 20+ years since those x-14s came out its more likely you'll find the biggest difference is between the driver in that bag and a modern driver. 

Drivers that were around in that time frame are likely 300cc or 350cc, much smaller that the 460cc heads we have today. If that's the case the first thing you might want to replace are your woods.

You may also want to look at tossing those long irons and replacing them with a hybrid or two. A lot has changed in 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I would stick with them until the golf bug really gets you. You will know when this happens.  A few visits to a golf store or website per week in addition to your round of golf. Poof before you know it new bag and clubs. You will be unrecognizable 

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I would stick with them until the golf bug really gets you. You will know when this happens.  A few visits to a golf store or website per week in addition to your round of golf. Poof before you know it new bag and clubs. You will be unrecognizable 

The bug has already got me! Im looking on the web for new clubs daily and have been playing three times a week for the pass couple weeks. Im hooked again LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

@Wneill20 If you like that style of iron (bigger size, more offset), I would say don’t bother with anything new for now.  But if you’re thinking about something more compact with less offset, probably makes sense to start demoing other sticks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say stick with your current clubs for this year. Since you're just getting back into it, a club fitting might do more for you after you've got a season under your belt. 

It is tempting to buy new clubs. My current irons around over 10 years old. This season I plan to play a lot more, and was bit by the players distance iron bug. Hit a handful. Wasn't super impressed with any. Ultimately decided I'll just continue gaming my current irons. Granted, I play blades. So the tech in that category hasn't really changed a ton. 

I did just order a new driver though. Should be here tomorrow. TM Sim Max with a Ventus Blue shaft. Pretty excited about it. Plan to pull the shaft from my current driver (Fujikura Rombax 6w06) and put a TM tip on it as well. It's a great shaft and will be nice to have two options for the new head.

• Thumbs Up 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

On 4/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Wneill20 said:

The bug has already got me! Im looking on the web for new clubs daily and have been playing three times a week for the pass couple weeks. Im hooked again LOL

@ChetlovesMer would recommend you get a 'nice" white belt

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, KMP said:

@ChetlovesMer would recommend you get a 'nice" white belt

Hold on, hold on, I'm pretty sure the OP said he's retired. Which means he's likely over 34. And by now you should know the "White Belt 34 Law". Which very clearly states no white belts for anyone over 34 years old or over 34 inch waist line. Unless, they are professional painters, sell ice cream for a living, or are in the Navy. ... Female pop stars are also exempt, but in reality the over 34 rule should probably still apply there. 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:55 AM, Wneill20 said:

Getting back on topic. The Callaway X 14 irons should be just fine. 

This coming from somebody who loves shiny things. So, if you want new clubs, by all means get new clubs. But it's unlikely that you "need" new clubs. 

Sometimes new clubs help recharge a golfer. But it sounds like you are pretty charged up right now, so I'd suggest put that money toward lessons with a coach you trust. (I know that can be a process in itself to find the right coach.) Or if you aren't interested in getting coaching, just save that money until sooner or later that new set of clubs comes along that you "really like" and if you are like me, you will be able to convince yourself that that strong like IS in fact a need. 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!