IGNORED

Club Bending

What are the pros and cons of having your own club bending machine?

Is it worth the time and trouble to dial in your clubs loft and lie?

What about older clubs and adjusting them?

2 hours ago, NHpro said:

Unless you're making a business out of it with fitting, etc I just don't see the need to buy one. For me, if I had the option to tinker bending my clubs alot, I think it would be a distraction.  That said, I bent a wedge from 52 to 51 and it was the perfect thing to do.  But again, just did it once, and that was it. Hope that helps.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pros:

• You can check your lofts at 3 am when you can't sleep
  • You can experiment and quickly adjust your lies (especially wedges) 
  • You can check your friends clubs and adjust
  • It is kind of cool to be able to tinker with golf clubs and sets in your garage 
  • You can hang laundry on it 

Cons: 

• You can no longer blame your club guy for your gapping woes 
  • You probably won't use it that much unless you are club building
  • You may become obsessed (I may fall into this category)
  • Friends will drop stuff off Friday night for Saturday's match 
  • Your Par-B-Q grill tools are not adjustable 

Seriously, if you want one, have the space and desire, go for it. I used to have one at my disposal and I would check my clubs every 60 days or so. Not enough for me to buy one, but if I were wanting to be a builder or my group's club guy, then why not? My dream garage would probably have a launch monitor, grip station, and loft/lie machine in that order. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

6 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

Pros:

• You can check your lofts at 3 am when you can't sleep

Now I'm thinking too much...

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

29 minutes ago, mohearn said:

Now I'm thinking too much...

This is exactly what happens to us when we have a loft/lie machine at our disposal! 🤣

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

No need for the fancy equipment.  I know a few guys who will just bend them right over their knees, right there on the course if the club seems to be the issue (vs their swing I’m guessing).  An airport bent a putter shaft for my buddy one time as well (pretty sure it was Delta that provided that service as part of the standard checked baggage process).

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, NHpro said:

I guess this is a con…

A friend of mine who got into club building (and also got me into club building) had a basic setup for club bending. He ended up breaking a few irons, and also a putter, and gave up on it. He still builds his own sets, but doesn’t mess with loft/lie adjustments.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

26 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I guess this is a con…

A friend of mine who got into club building (and also got me into club building) had a basic setup for club bending. He ended up breaking a few irons, and also a putter, and gave up on it. He still builds his own sets, but doesn’t mess with loft/lie adjustments.

Probably tried to bend clubs that weren't made for bending

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

20 hours ago, NHpro said:

FWIW, I am pretty particular about things. I have a set of Titleist 716 CB that I brought to Erie last year. Golf Evolution has an excellent loft lie machine with the ability to bend if needed. I measured my clubs at home using the bench technique below, which has some error. That’s a machinist angle measure and I got very close to standard. I measured them at Golf Evolution on their device. The clubs were all within a half degree of standard.

Unless you are seeing a lot of distance anomalies with well struck irons, then don’t worry about the irons being off. With longer irons, it’s more likely to be off center or thin/fat strikes that give distance issues. Well made irons don’t bend much with normal play and practice on mats. 

AE37C0C0-8362-499F-8112-D4A13443974C.jpeg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thank you all for your input.

I received a really good deal on a low end bending machine too good to pass up and I always wanted to bend my set of Ping Eye 2's to decrease the loft on these high lofted clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I decided to buy my own bending machine, the offer was just to good to pass up.

I have since delofted all my Ping Eye 2 Irons by 3 degrees. 

It was a little scary because these clubs are very hard steel, the trick is to bounce the bending bar while increasing pressure on the club to bend a little at a time.

When I took the clubs out for the first time I couldn't believe the difference in ball flight and increased distance.

Yes, at the expense of some bounce, but for me it worked out great.

I wouldn't recommend this for the faint of heart........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NHpro said:

When I took the clubs out for the first time I couldn't believe the difference in ball flight and increased distance.

CBED3386-5689-4BA7-8A0A-F00283347BF7.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, NHpro said:

I decided to buy my own bending machine, the offer was just to good to pass up.

I have since delofted all my Ping Eye 2 Irons by 3 degrees. 

Out of curiosity, what is your final loft for say, your 7 iron? is it better to bend one way vs the other? 

Edited by mohearn

Mike

On 4/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, mohearn said:

Out of curiosity, what is your final loft for say, your 7 iron? is it better to bend one way vs the other? 

My 7 iron is now at a healthy 33 deg. loft.

Yes, from my experience bending loft is much safer than trying to bend lie on these clubs.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...