IGNORED

Price of Clubs

4 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

He bought a 3 wood. 

A 3 wood!  Is the 3 wood the most expensive club in the bag based on how often it gets used versus its price. maybe.  I  use mine exactly 2 times at my "home" course, there's literally very little to gain. Still, it's fun to shop and sometimes I find myself secretly hoping some of my clubs wear out so I can get some new ones.  

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, mohearn said:

A 3 wood!  Is the 3 wood the most expensive club in the bag based on how often it gets used versus its price. maybe.  I  use mine exactly 2 times at my "home" course, there's literally very little to gain. Still, it's fun to shop and sometimes I find myself secretly hoping some of my clubs wear out so I can get some new ones.  

A good 3W lasts for years though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/16/2022 at 11:48 AM, TourSpoon said:

I bought the F9 in Avalanche White last year (sale) and the shaft I put in it cost more than the driver (Tour AD XC-6)! 

I just cleaned house and put some old equipment on eBay. Everything was definitely well cared for and no marks on the heads. Here is what I got for each: 

• 2012 Tour Authentic Razr Fit with PX Tour (standard issue) for $110. 
  • 2011 Callaway Diablo Octane Tour for $90. 
  • 2011 Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Fairway for $65. 

I cannot believe I could average a buck a driver from something a decade old. Now the TA retailed for $600 and I bought it on clearance so maybe half price. Same with the Octanes. Seeing that Callaway could see prices of 400-650 dollars 10 years ago tells me that 500-750 dollars is not outrageous. 

I posted this ^^^^^ from a similar thread. 

The Titleist 975D, retailed for $500 in 1998, and the Callaway Razr Fit Tour Authentic had a $600 price tag in 2012. A decade later and we are still paying similar prices even with inflation like we haven't seen since before Ping Eye 2s came out (which could run $1200 for copper berrylium).  I think that golf is in pretty good shape right now. 

For what its worth, I have rarely payed retail on any golf equipment in 25 years. I have some golf connections, but typically will buy new a season late. There are some great deals out there if you time it right. 

Edited by TourSpoon
Clarification

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 4/22/2022 at 1:45 AM, DoubleAce said:

To the point about production. I don't know costs have gone up that significantly.

The cost of steel has quadrupled since March of 2020. It's hitting everyone. 
The price of automobiles have gone up more in the last year than they have in the previous decade. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, TourSpoon said:

You can substitute any word for "clubs" in this sentence and it would still most likely be true. 

Exactly, We have set records for inflation 3 months in a row, with no end in sight. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 4/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Typhoon92 said:

Prices on everything are out of control.  

This

19 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

The price of clubs doesn’t seem to deter people. I was at a demo day and had a guy almost take out half the range behind him, whiff a few times and hit a bunch over the net dead right. He bought a 3 wood. I was in awe. It’s too bad the “golfers getting better because handicaps are lower” article didn’t stress that only golfers with handicaps are the sample size, not all people that play golf. Like the guy from yesterday, price of a club didn’t deter him, and it wasn’t going to make him better.

To be fair. This isn't only true of golf. 
I've known "Triathletes" who can't finish the race, but they own $10,000.00 bikes. 
I've known rec-league softball players with Thousand Dollar Bats and can't hit their weight.
I've known guys who play b-ball at the Y who have more invested in their shoes than I have in my car... okay a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. 

In every sport at every level there have always been folks with more money than desire to practice. Ask any gym why they sell reoccurring memberships? Because people will pay and never show. But those memberships pay for the equipment that @RFKFREAK uses every day. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 4/20/2022 at 11:32 AM, cooke119 said:

I haven't been to a golf store in a while, but I stopped at Dicks yesterday and was shocked by the prices they are asking for clubs, 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:
  On 4/21/2022 at 8:18 AM, TourSpoon said:

You can substitute any word for "clubs" in this sentence and it would still most likely be true. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Exactly, We have set records for inflation 3 months in a row, with no end in sight. 

@ChetlovesMer While you are correct with inflation, I was making a knock on the home of MSRP retail prices! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The cost of steel has quadrupled since March of 2020. It's hitting everyone. 
The price of automobiles have gone up more in the last year than they have in the previous decade. 

You're right about that. My comment was directed at the idea that prices are higher simply because of the improved tech.

Agree 100% that prices on just about everything are out of control.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

On 4/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, cooke119 said:

I haven't been to a golf store in a while, but I stopped at Dicks yesterday and was shocked by the prices they are asking for clubs, have the manufacturers lost their minds? Irons in excess of $1,000, drivers at $600 and up., shoes $200+. They are going to kill the game of golf, just my opinion.

IMO Dick's is not the best place to purchase golf equipment. I have no problem finding better prices from a variety of sources. When I last bought irons (6 or 7 years ago) I recall they were listed in the same range you quote. I admit to coveting new shoe models every year, but wait for the end of the year or even the next and no worries. I find the price of greens fees on some of the higher end or "destination" courses is far more disconcerting than equipment cost.

16 hours ago, KMP said:

IMO Dick's is not the best place to purchase golf equipment.

Agree. RRP of popular brands is insane.

There are several DTC companies (Sub 70, PXG, Haywood, Takomo and others) that can help one get outfitted for about half of what Dicks can with some seriously nice gear.

I'd be looking at the used racks at places like Dicks.  You can find some good deals in there.

If I had say a $600 budget I might explore some of Golfworks' products.  The entire STi2 line looks like pretty good value for someone who wants new gear on a budget.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of options if you don't mind playing less popular brands. I am a high handicapper so I don't need to spend crazy money on my clubs. In the last few years I have been able to buy brand new custom clubs from GigaGolf, Tour Edge, Cleveland and PXG. Not the sexy names, but I like all of my gear just fine.

Those irons are also 4-aw. I don’t want to speak for others but that is 2 clubs too many for me. I don’t need or want to pay for a 4 or 5 iron. Can knock off close to $300 just on those 2 clubs and go buy the hybrid to cover. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear: