IGNORED

What Is the Deal With Courses Going Cart Only?

In Troy, MI there are 2 muni courses.  One allows walkers and one requires carts.  The difference it the terrain.  Sylvan Glen is mostly flat and they allow walking.  Sanctuary Lake is built on a former landfill and several holes play up or down the "Mound"  and walking would be difficult.  Both courses have holes with long distance to next hole but Sanctuary Lake has more long distances between holes.  If it was a money-grab I would suspect both city courses to require carts.

As for walking vs riding, I ride more often than walk  but am trying to walk more this year but only on 9 holes and only if not excessively hot.  Even on a flat course for only 9 holes my ankles are destroyed and I can barely walk the next day.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think courses should at least have info available on the cart that explains how to use one, way too often you'll see a group in front of you just not think when having the cart actually slows pace of play. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

On 8/10/2022 at 6:44 PM, StuM said:

As for walking vs riding, I ride more often than walk  but am trying to walk more this year but only on 9 holes and only if not excessively hot.  Even on a flat course for only 9 holes my ankles are destroyed and I can barely walk the next day.

Credit to you for walking even nine holes. Pushcart, yes?.  All the coolest players are walking these days. :-) Seriously, it gets better with time, way to go.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

The weather is out of the 90s where I live and I'll be walking tomorrow afternoon.   I leave early most Wednesdays and play golf late afternoon and evening.   Took a couple of towels off my bag, the umbrella and range finder to make it easier.   I miss the days of growing up in Central NJ where all the courses were all farmland and flat.

—Adam

10 hours ago, mohearn said:

Credit to you for walking even nine holes. Pushcart, yes?.  All the coolest players are walking these days. :-) Seriously, it gets better with time, way to go.

Yes, push cart.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Being able to walk the golf course was probably the main reason my wife and I joined a private club years ago. There weren't many options in our area to walk unless you were a member at a private club. We usually only walk about half the year (the other half being the hotter months in Florida), but I would rather walk if I can. For some reason (and I have tried to figure out why), I play better when I walk.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2022 at 11:33 AM, phillyk said:

Pace of play and it’s enforcement are some reasons. Most of those courses will likely have gps or at least trackers in each cart to let the pro shop know pace of play and if any groups are out of place. 

Not just pace of play, but location monitoring. GPS trackers help courses enforce "no go" areas on the fairway and rough. If a cart goes into the rough, or into a soggy area, the cart shuts down. Then, you have to back up slowly to the safe area before the cart will function normally. It's the hassle of "car path only" without clearly being able to see where the path is.

Another factor involves the sprawling residential golf clubs which mushroomed in the 1990s. Developers envisioned taking them as private equity ventures once the membership filled up. To appeal to golf families, as many home lots as possible were sited to provide fairway frontage in either front or back yard. Thus, these courses had clusters of holes interspersed with stretches of suburbia.

But, too many competing developments emerged for the market to handle, and to stay afloat, developers had to chase the $45 a round public golfers to play their spread out tracks.  If No. 3 green is a quarter-mile from No. 4 tee, you need to have people ride carts to keep traffic moving. My wife and I tried to walk such a courses a decade ago, and we always got overrun from behind by cart-mobile cavalry.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Not just pace of play, but location monitoring. GPS trackers help courses enforce "no go" areas on the fairway and rough. If a cart goes into the rough, or into a soggy area, the cart shuts down. Then, you have to back up slowly to the safe area before the cart will function normally. It's the hassle of "car path only" without clearly being able to see where the path is.

The course I worked at previously had zero reception. So all the geofencing was wonky. Couldn’t effectively enforce cart path only or cart rules in general. But yes, free marshals are usually nice. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 6 months later...

I see I posted here on this topic a while ago but I think single rider carts would be a big help.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

5 hours ago, flopster said:

I see I posted here on this topic a while ago but I think single rider carts would be a big help.

There are many options for purchase.  I think a few courses rent them.

th?id=OIP.M0A-K0_qIP9mTmQgHF9YGAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Stuart M.

42 minutes ago, StuM said:

You're just begging for that dude to show up and start crying about lazy people only take carts and how he is better than anyone who rides. haha 

I have mentioned this before somewhere, but there is a guy at my course that has a tricked out bike specially designed for carrying clubs. The scooter thing you show I can see that winding up in a pond or a bunker. Looks fun though, I'd give it a whirl.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 8/2/2023 at 5:55 AM, StuM said:

Haha I like it and no doubt much lighter than the 2 seaters so less wear and tear on the course.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

On 8/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, StuM said:

If I go back to playing and if I find myself playing a lot and if my local courses allow those, I can see myself acquiring one.  They look like they'd be a hoot :-)

1 hour ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

If I go back to playing and if I find myself playing a lot and if my local courses allow those, I can see myself acquiring one.  They look like they'd be a hoot :-)

fileEUPWOTAE.jpg

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22