IGNORED

Bad Expensive Lesson Experience

wakefield724

I been golfing about 9 years now and occasionally get lessons when I feel i hit a  plateau. I wanted lessons on putting and short chipping as that is the weakest part of my game. I found a lessons flyer from pro golfer my local simulator and shot him an email. I told him that I only wanted to work on putting and short chipping as that is what im trying to improve. He told me $160 per hour and i agreed. 

We meet up at the putting green and i told him again that im really focusing on improving my short game with putts and short chips. He seemed anxious doing so and we spent about 10 minutes putting where i hit maybe 10 balls. Immediately took me to the range and wanted to work on my irons. I can confidently say i am a great iron striker. I stink at everything except irons. He spent the entire session trying to get me to change my swing entirely. Being a 6'7" 315lb muscular guy, i dont have the flexibility or swing as others. He didnt accept that.  

Morale of the story, i completely wasted my money. Only thing i learned is to keep my head down a tad longer when putting and that more money doesnt equivalate to higher quality lessons. 

After the 10 minutes of putting, when he suggested going to the range to hit irons, did you question why he wanted to do so? I'm curious as to his answer. 

24 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

I been golfing about 9 years now and occasionally get lessons when I feel i hit a  plateau. I wanted lessons on putting and short chipping as that is the weakest part of my game. I found a lessons flyer from pro golfer my local simulator and shot him an email. I told him that I only wanted to work on putting and short chipping as that is what im trying to improve. He told me $160 per hour and i agreed. 

We meet up at the putting green and i told him again that im really focusing on improving my short game with putts and short chips. He seemed anxious doing so and we spent about 10 minutes putting where i hit maybe 10 balls. Immediately took me to the range and wanted to work on my irons. I can confidently say i am a great iron striker. I stink at everything except irons. He spent the entire session trying to get me to change my swing entirely. Being a 6'7" 315lb muscular guy, i dont have the flexibility or swing as others. He didnt accept that.  

Morale of the story, i completely wasted my money. Only thing i learned is to keep my head down a tad longer when putting and that more money doesnt equivalate to higher quality lessons. 

To be fair, if you’re HI of 16 is accurate, you’re not a great ball striker. That said, if you went to him for a putting lesson and he agreed, then didn’t give you a putting lesson, why did you pay?

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've never had a pro not focus on what we agreed to.  Usually there is a conversation about my game, strengths & weaknesses and they they watch a few swings, usually starting with 6i so they can see where I am at and then we agree what to focus on but if I say "I want this" then that is what they do.  Right or Wrong, it is My money, My time, My lesson.  They can turn it down if they want.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

After the 10 minutes of putting, when he suggested going to the range to hit irons, did you question why he wanted to do so? I'm curious as to his answer. 

He came there with the mindset of changing my iron swing before he even saw me. He immediately asked if i wanted to go to the range on arrival. I mentioned in that i said in the email i just wanted to learn how to putt better and maybe short chips. He seemed annoyed, watched me putt, showed me one thing and skipped chipping all together. Really weird guy. Like he knew what he wanted to show me before he even saw me swing. The main thing he wanted to show me was to turn my hips more like im pulling a lawnmower pull rope and to open my clubface during my backswing. I have lifelong knee injuries from college football. That rotation caused me pain. He didnt know what to do when i told him i was pain and he saw it was hurting me. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

To be fair, if you’re HI of 16 is accurate, you’re not a great ball striker. That said, if you went to him for a putting lesson and he agreed, then didn’t give you a putting lesson, why did you pay?

Both parts of this are what I’d have said.

You may be conning yourself. Also, you shouldn’t have paid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a relatively big guy, but I'm gonna go along with p much whatever the 6'7" 315 lb dude wants to work on lmao

• Funny 1

Colin P.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.