IGNORED

In Defense of (Good) Block Practice

iacas

Learning how to do good block practice, coupled with having priority pieces from good lessons, is how I got to the point where my SG:A is usually below the 10 handicap marker and not infrequently below the 5 handicap marker.  

It's also amazing what being able to hit a few balls a day, even if I'm only hitting a dozen, can do to keep my swing in decent order, or get it back after being away.

I've come a long way from the days when going to the range was mostly exercise, no matter what I claimed in those days. 

• Informative 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dude, that is a well thought out and logical discussion over a topic that is often misconstrued. 👍👍

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I keep a sawed down golf club with gray duct tape as a head to do a little block practice next to my computer. And then there's the WC.

I wonder if practicing with music, not too distracting music, via earbuds helps some stay engaged. It drowns out distractions from the vicinity, helps me keep focused on my own thing. Earbuds are a permanent addition to my bag and I use them if it's not dead quiet.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I think a few studies came out within the past five years that showed:

• Music during an athletic endeavor decreases performance.
  • Music prior to or on the way to an athletic endeavor increases performance.

These studies involved more than "workouts," where I think music is generally considered okay for increasing stamina while reducing perceived effort (i.e. you can work out a bit harder/longer with music than without).

Never mind that music can affect the tempo and rhythm and length, mute or muffle the sound of impact, etc.

If you're distracted by music, I don't know that you're really focused on your practice as much as you can be. Just tune the other people out — we do it all the time in other parts of life.

• Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think a few studies came out within the past five years that showed:

• Music during an athletic endeavor decreases performance.
  • Music prior to or on the way to an athletic endeavor increases performance.

These studies involved more than "workouts," where I think music is generally considered okay for increasing stamina while reducing perceived effort (i.e. you can work out a bit harder/longer with music than without).

Never mind that music can affect the tempo and rhythm and length, mute or muffle the sound of impact, etc.

If you're distracted by music, I don't know that you're really focused on your practice as much as you can be. Just tune the other people out — we do it all the time in other parts of life.

I did not know that. I'll try mentally tuning people out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Is this guy talking about golf here?

No, he's talking about pool. But the sentiment is similar.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, nevets88 said:

Earbuds are a permanent addition to my bag and I use them if it's not dead quiet.

I think this is a mistake.
I'm no Alfred Einstein, but how will you learn to deal with distractions during play if you don't learn to deal with them during practice? 

I had a buddy who used to loose his mind anytime one of the course mowers was anywhere near us. Everything distracted this dude. He'd blame every bad shot on some distraction. This animal made this noise, or that player over there reacted to his/her shot, it was always something. 

He was a good friend so I never said anything, but I used to think "Man, don't let things bother you. Just focus what you are doing." 

Personally, I try never to admit that something distracted me. Even if it does... ESPECIALLY if it does. And I especially don't admit it to myself. If you admit you hit a bad shot because you got distracted that takes the result out of your hands. If you decide you hit a bad shot because your technique isn't engrained enough or because your skill isn't developed enough that puts it back in your hands. Think of it this way. I can control how much I practice and on what I practice. I have no control over other people on the course, or mowers, or cars driving near the course with guys doing that funny honk the horn in your backswing joke.... Woo, that's a hoot and holler! 🤪

Don't give others the power. Keep the power for yourself. 

.... But again, I'm not the smartest person in the world. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think this is a mistake.
I'm no Alfred Einstein, but how will you learn to deal with distractions during play if you don't learn to deal with them during practice? 

It might keep him engaged longer. It might be worth sacrificing a bit of 'dealing with distraction learning' if so. I tend to drift in my headspace during practice. A lot. It would probably be worse with music so it's def not for me but for some the opposite is true. 

Vishal S.

26 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I had a buddy who used to loose his mind anytime one of the course mowers was anywhere near us. Everything distracted this dude. He'd blame every bad shot on some distraction.

I think we share the same golfing friend.  Ron totally freaks out when a mower, anywhere within 5 miles is running.  I always wave to the mower person to keep on going, get their job done.  How frustrating it must be to be a mower on a golf course... starting and stopping.  Let 'em go about their business.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think we share the same golfing friend.  Ron totally freaks out when a mower, anywhere within 5 miles is running.  I always wave to the mower person to keep on going, get their job done.  How frustrating it must be to be a mower on a golf course... starting and stopping.  Let 'em go about their business.

Well, my mower freak out guy's name is Chris. So not likely to be the same guy. But certainly cut from the same cloth. 
BTW - I just noticed your HCP is down to 5.1.

I don't remember it being that low. Have you been practicing?