IGNORED

Golf Pet Hates

wacker

On 8/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, Carl3 said:

18 holes. If I could wave a wand a round of golf would be 6 holes on the front and 6 on the back.😀

When you factor in slow play, not letting others play through, who has 4-6 hours to play 18 holes?

Of course cutting a course down to 12 holes, slow golfers in front of me would still find a way to play extra slow!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I absolutely positively hate… hate hate hate when you hit a drive that’s straight and should easily be found and it’s nowhere to be found. And there’s no one around maybe they picked it up. I hate that so much. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

19 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I absolutely positively hate… hate hate hate when you hit a drive that’s straight and should easily be found and it’s nowhere to be found. And there’s no one around maybe they picked it up. I hate that so much. 

Or someone else hits your ball.

A couple of weeks ago I hit a tee shot that was in the middle of the fairway over a hill and I knew from playing the course often where my ball should have been. I let two guys that pulled up on a cart hit before I started walking toward my ball and I didn't pay attention to their shots. I did see one guy hit from the edge of the fairway and one guy hit from the middle and they moved on.

I think the guy that hit from the middle hit my ball because I couldn't find it.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, zetterbee said:

A most disturbing thing, which seems to happen, hopefully, less than once a year....in fact, hopefully, never again......someone hits a ball over onto your fairway from a blind tee, nearly hits you and does not shout whatsoever. 

Way back when, I was hit by the tee shot of the other fairway. We had both hit into the "playable rough" between opposing fairways, but I was addressing my ball when he hit his.  Impact was right on the back of my left hand-on the bone that goes to the first finger.  There were no sounds made that I recall, they didn't know we were out there because it's blind to the other tee.  I didn't blame them, even if they'd gone up and checked before teeing off, they might not have known that my ball was out there where I'd be in danger to their errant shots. Nashboro Village around 1986 I'd guess.

From that lesson I know to shout any time there might be someone in the landing zone of my ball. There are lots of places we can get hit and not suffer too much, but the bony parts of the body are not those.

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

On 9/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, Elmer said:

When you factor in slow play, not letting others play through, who has 4-6 hours to play 18 holes?

Of course cutting a course down to 12 holes, slow golfers in front of me would still find a way to play extra slow!

Bigcity next door has a 6-hole par 3 "training course". Has great little greens and the longest hole is about 130 with the only bunker on the course.  Play it once, or twice, or thrice to get all the golf you need. Fees are for all day. Seniors pay 5 bucks. It's all walking but less than 600 yards! No trees at all, about as "linksy" as TN gets, but kept simple for all ages/sizes of beginners or others wanting to practice their short game. It's perfect for me right now because I'm limited to short irons by injury.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Hohjoe said:

Or someone else hits your ball.

A couple of weeks ago I hit a tee shot that was in the middle of the fairway over a hill and I knew from playing the course often where my ball should have been. I let two guys that pulled up on a cart hit before I started walking toward my ball and I didn't pay attention to their shots. I did see one guy hit from the edge of the fairway and one guy hit from the middle and they moved on.

I think the guy that hit from the middle hit my ball because I couldn't find it.

Wouldn’t one usually find the other guy’s ball?  If someone hits your ball, there should be an extra ball somewhere.  Of course some people are so clueless that they hit their ball into a penalty area, forest or OB but then play your ball from the middle of the fairway.

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Of course some people are so clueless that they hit their ball into a penalty area, forest or OB but then play your ball from the middle of the fairway.

I think that's what this guy did. He couldn't find his and hit mine.

I get really irritable with people who don't watch their own ball. There's a guy in our regular weekend group who turns away in disgust after a poor shot (of which there are  quite a few) and then asks everyone else if they saw where it went. Couple of weeks ago we had this 3 times in the first 4 holes. On the 5th he raced a putt 6 feet past the hole. I pointed to it and said "It's over there". He had the cheek to get annoyed with me 😄

We've brought it up with him many times, but it's not changed anything, The rest of us have discussed letting him struggle along losing balls until he learns to watch them, but have reluctantly ruled it out for the sake of the people behind us. 

• Funny 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:31 PM, NM Golf said:

We had to put a local rule banning music on the rules sheets when I was still running tournaments. Personally, I just ask them to turn it down, but some people hate it. I don't really understand why people feel the need to blare music while playing golf, but I also don't understand drinking a 12 pack while playing either. 

Yeah that's a good rule. I don't get it either but it seems to be a trend in all areas of life people playing Bluetooth speakers everywhere. It's funny to me because now more than ever there are great options for wireless headphones etc. It's almost like we are going back in time to the "boom box" ...except then we had no choice. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, DaMoose90 said:

Yeah that's a good rule. I don't get it either but it seems to be a trend in all areas of life people playing Bluetooth speakers everywhere. It's funny to me because now more than ever there are great options for wireless headphones etc. It's almost like we are going back in time to the "boom box" ...except then we had no choice. 

THIS!!! everybody walking around with stuff hanging out of their ears, why not keep the music piped-in and personal too?  This ain't no Disco. 😆

In the alternative, I seriously do have some Highland pipes music files and I will play them on course if ever the need arises. I like old stuff and tradition and history.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I think this is really in the Pet Peeves category, but those threads are pretty old so I'll post it here. The category is Come on man!!!

People at the turn who walk into the grill room at the club and order a cheeseburger. Come on man!

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

On 9/20/2022 at 4:15 AM, NeilV said:

I get really irritable with people who don't watch their own ball. There's a guy in our regular weekend group who turns away in disgust after a poor shot (of which there are  quite a few) and then asks everyone else if they saw where it went. Couple of weeks ago we had this 3 times in the first 4 holes. On the 5th he raced a putt 6 feet past the hole. I pointed to it and said "It's over there". He had the cheek to get annoyed with me 😄

We've brought it up with him many times, but it's not changed anything, The rest of us have discussed letting him struggle along losing balls until he learns to watch them, but have reluctantly ruled it out for the sake of the people behind us. 

I have a degenerative retinal condition and have lost 80% of my field of vision, I rely on my friendly golf buds to watch the ball for me or else I wouldn't be able to play at all. I appreciate it immensely.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

I also play golf regularly with a guy who has cancer and we make loads of adjustments so he can play. 
The person in question has nothing wrong with his eyesight, he just doesn’t watch the ball to its end, and often turns away in disgust if he hits a poor shot. Of course, if he did have a problem with his eyesight, we would watch for him and be happy about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I always like to have solutions to any problems before I chat with anyone about the problem. Whenever a challenge arises here and people ask me what to do, I try to ask them what they would suggest. This encourages people to think things through and pose the problem and their solution. I try to say yes and will only change something if my experience is telling me I should.

The golf industry needs to be tuned up to focus on the large base of people who play the game fore fun, and not fore money.

To quote Peter Kostis :

“I’ve consistently said that players who are paid to play are not the game of golf. Golfers who pay to play are the game of golf. The so called guardians of the game need to always remember this. If pro golf worldwide disappears tomorrow, there will still be golf and golfers.”

Too many of these guardians take you the player for granted. And this is a problem for them – not for you. You have voted that these guardians are irrelevant to your game because you do not join their associations. You play golf fore all the right reasons. Perhaps there is no need for any guardian.

But my solution would be to give you the player a voice in the game of golf.

Yes it is ok to hit a breakfast ball – the golf gods will not throw lightning bolts at you.

Yes it is ok to tee up every shot when you are learning the game – read Harvey Penick’s Red Book.

Yes it is ok to have music on your cart that you can hear – the rest of the course does not have to hear it as they are listening to their own music a little more quietly than you might.

Yes it is ok to walk out of the fescue, drop another ball and play on – you know you should add a stroke for this move. Your call.

This “LIV” version of golf associations would be managed by a coalition of owners and players. We cannot survive without each other. The current guardians must pay more attention to their sponsors on whom they rely for the bulk of their funding. There are many bright minds in the golf world that would be able to develop concepts and programs to keep the golf industry “in a good place” as many of the “guardians” are trumpeting today, with better foresight into tomorrow and beyond.

This should lead to a sport that is recognized for what it truly is – an activity that promotes mental and physical health. A sport that has a positive presence in the public eye – one that teaches life lessons of fiscal morals and honest participation.

An association that needs no castle for a headquarters – a simple office somewhere will work just fine.

Let the tear-down begin. Golf is ready fore a fresh new guardian.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, DandyDon said:

The golf industry needs to be tuned up to focus on the large base of people who play the game fore fun, and not fore money.

I don't really agree. What's stopping people from playing for fun now? Plenty of people play for fun currently.

But my solution would be to give you the player a voice in the game of golf.

Huh?

Yes it is ok to hit a breakfast ball – the golf gods will not throw lightning bolts at you.

Yes it is ok to tee up every shot when you are learning the game – read Harvey Penick’s Red Book.

Yes it is ok to have music on your cart that you can hear – the rest of the course does not have to hear it as they are listening to their own music a little more quietly than you might.

Yes it is ok to walk out of the fescue, drop another ball and play on – you know you should add a stroke for this move. Your call.

People do this now. So I'm not sure what your point is.

This “LIV” version of golf associations would be managed by a coalition of owners and players.

Huh? This makes no sense on many levels.

And you just said people don't need "associations" and then you seem to be proposing an association.

And people who just make up their own rules… are going to be "managed"? Why? Huh?

The current guardians must pay more attention to their sponsors on whom they rely for the bulk of their funding.

What are you talking about?

An association that needs no castle for a headquarters – a simple office somewhere will work just fine.

Let the tear-down begin. Golf is ready fore a fresh new guardian.

You didn't make any sense.

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, DandyDon said:

...Golf is ready for a fresh new guardian.

I assume you are referring to the USGA/R&A, advocate dissolving both organizations, and wish to replace them with an organization controlled by people who play golf. I have my issues with some of the things the USGA does or doesn't do, but your suggested approach is seriously flawed.

Brian Kuehn