IGNORED

Why is Tiger the only black man on tour?

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's not quite half of either IIRC. He's got some other stuff in 'im as well.

OK - apparently, he describes himself as Asian Afro-American. He is actually a mixture of African, Thai, Chinese, American-Indian and European.

Just like most of us

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does income have to do with race? It has absolutely nothing to do with it, period.

Let me tell you my story. I'm white. My mom and dad are both white. My dad was a blue collar worker before he retired. He made a good living, but we never had luxuries.
I made good grades in high school and was fortunate enough to be accepted to a good college. Unfortunately I could not get a scholarship. Were my grades bad? No, but my dad made “too much” money for me to get any scholarships. But the black kids who had worse grades than I did got scholarships aplenty. As a matter of fact, they had everything paid for. Me, well, my mom’s job helped pay for my college.

What about the black kid in my high school class? Well, his parents made much more than my parents did. How do I know? Well, he drove a much more expensive car, he wore much more expensive clothes, and they lived in a very, very nice neighborhood in my town. If they didn’t make more than my family then I’d love to know their secret! I’m pretty sure I’m right.

So, fast forward…..The black kid got scholarships to exclusive colleges. His grades were below mine, yet his parents made more than mine. He had full rides, and I didn’t get crap despite trying very hard to get anything. I was told more than once that my parents made “too much” money. That didn’t stop me.

Today, my black classmate is well off. Me, well, I’m doing fine, and I play golf at good courses. As a kid, however, I played at crap courses because I couldn't afford it. My black classmate had many more advantages than I did. Hell, I had to fight just to graduate college due to finances. In the end, I graduated, with honors. Blood, sweat and tears baby!!!! Oh, and no excuses.

Bottom line is that I’m sick of hearing the race card being played. That’s just a big fat excuse. It’s America, so stop whining. Many blacks have broken out of the hood, so it can be done. Again, stop whining.

Why aren’t there more blacks that are successful on tour? Because there aren’t enough blacks that WANT to be successful. It’s not discrimination. Think I’m wrong? Well, tell me just HOW blacks are discriminated against in golf. Seriously, if someone out there is making sure blacks cannot play or succeed, give me the proof. Tiger is playing and succeeding, so that argument is null and void.

Tiger wanted it, and he made it happen. Other blacks don’t want it bad enough. Is that wrong? No, they just want something else.

Tiger wanted it, and he made it happen. Other blacks don’t want it bad enough. Is that wrong? No, they just want something else.

This is it exactly, except the other piece is culture and socialization. You want it, great go get it. But black youth don't want golf. That's the whole answer. Just because ONE did, and became the greatest ever, doesn't mean that all of the sudden there will be all of these support structures in American culture for young black golfers. What? compete against decades of NBA shoe marketing (for one example?)

But your story is a microcosm of American racial landscape. Things really have changed so much since the 1950's but the problem is, old stereotypes lag behind. Black people are poor: old stereotype and statistically untrue. Black people can't afford golf: old stereotype and statistically untrue. If Ledbetter said that then he got it wrong. Even black people will tell you its money, but they haven't looked closely. I CAN'T AFFORD GOLF. But I find a way. I love it. I learned to play with my dad. I want to share it with my sons. That sentiment is echoed by thousands of white guys. And a few black guys. That's it.

I wanted to add that golf is one of the only true "individual" sports. All other sports that kids traditionally play are team related, and that is part of their appeal. And golf is expensive in the sense that you can't really play without paying something. If you want to hit balls, pay for the range. Want to play, pay green fees. I guess putting practice is free, but come on, what kid would rather stand around a golf course putting green by them self because they can't pay to play than play 3 on 3 or a pickup baseball game with their friends.

I am sick of hearing anything about race Sick and freakin tired of it. It is exactly what prevents true equality. I hope that all kids, of all backgrounds and ethnicities have the opportunities to do whatever it is they want to do.

In my bag

Driver 905R 9.5 with Aldila
3-wood G10 15 degree
Hybrid G10 18 degreeIrons MP 32Wedges 52 & 56 & 60 degreePutter SC SS Newport 1.5Ball

People need to stop using cash demographics to answer this question.

bingo. socialization. it has a lot to do with what the social norm is in a certain group, as well.

I also agree with ShotCalla 100%.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I only briefly looked through this thread, but I'm wondering why no one mentioned Tim O'Neal , who has been around the Nationwide Tour the past few years (although I haven't really seen him show up this year). Not the PGA Tour, sure.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

obviously there must be a golf gene that blacks don't have. tiger has european ancestry and so most likely this is how he got to be a carrier. it would be great if the pga would fund a scientific initiative to find and locate the golf gene and so folks could find out if they have it before taking up a lifelong fruitless passion full of mediocrity and flubbbed shots, 4 putts, etc for the game. this does though raise the controversy that professional golfers might start gene doping with the golf gene giving them an unfair advantage over competitors as blood or urine tests would most likely not be able to pick this up if it was being done

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

• Administrator
So...instead of building castles, why doesn't TW buy a few tracts for lower income kids to play and practice? He could eaisly classify it as a 501-c3, so not much $$$$ loss to a soon to be billionaire. But Rory S. is the real jerk of the PGA..right?

He's built the Tiger Woods Foundation and a lovely, HUGE building and campus to go along with it. He's looking to build one on the east coast as well. Thousands of kids have gone through there.

He's EDUCATING them. Not about golf, but about science, math, literature, history, etc. You know, things that they're likely to be able to USE to advance themselves in the world. The First Tee program is already doing it for golf. Tiger's taking a broader approach, and it strikes me as pretty ignorant to mock him when he's doing quite a bit already.
I think Tiger's upbringing was probably very different than most Black kids, just because of the fact that his family was pretty well off even before Buick and Nike (Colonels do pretty well) and the obvious fact that he is really at least as much Asian as Black (Earl himself had some Chinese and Native American blood).

Tiger wasn't well off as a kid. His dad still had to work some odd jobs and his mom, IIRC, didn't really work. He lived in a fairly small house and played golf at a pretty ratty looking little course.

He wasn't destitute - but lower middle class is about right.
What does income have to do with race? It has absolutely nothing to do with it, period.

To deny that is to deny common sense and fact. Though in an individual case it's not a determinant of anything, per se, on a whole it is. Blacks and other minorities make less,

on average , in the U.S. than whites. It's simple fact, and not something worth getting upset about. The question then simply becomes WHY? In the case of blacks and golf, there are obviously OTHER factors, too, but income is a factor as well. Not many kids from the inner cities - regardless of color - end up playing golf. A higher percentage of blacks live in inner cities than whites, too - another fact. I agree it's a combination of income, availability (not many golf courses in, say, Harlem), and socialization factors.
Bottom line is that I’m sick of hearing the race card being played. That’s just a big fat excuse. It’s America, so stop whining. Many blacks have broken out of the hood, so it can be done. Again, stop whining.

I don't hear any whining going on here, and just because the occasional person overcomes adversity doesn't mean the adversity doesn't exist OR have an impact overall.

Why aren’t there more blacks that are successful on tour? Because there aren’t enough blacks that WANT to be successful. It’s not discrimination. Think I’m wrong? Well, tell me just HOW blacks are discriminated against in golf. Seriously, if someone out there is making sure blacks cannot play or succeed, give me the proof.

You've rejected the proof that's been given. On average, blacks tend to make less money than whites. They are more likely to live in urban areas than whites. That's two pieces of "proof" right there - if you can't find a golf course to play at or afford the one you can play at, you're not very likely to play golf.

This discussion is fine, but please remember to keep it clean. Please remember race is a dicey topic, so approach it with care. Go on and discuss, but be careful.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very politicaly correct answer there and well written but I am afraid you are hiding from the truth. Not many Black Hockey players either huh? Is it because it's not cool? Ever pay for Ice Time? Skates, Pads, etc? No inner City kids are ever gonna get near a hockey helmet or lace up the skates because a pair of sneakers can be had for 10 bux and they can hoop it up all day long and pay NOTHING!

People need to stop using cash demographics to answer this question.

...I agree it's a combination of income, availability (not many golf courses in, say, Harlem...

UGH, dont remind me...

But to prove everyone here wrong, there are plenty of black people in golf! Watch the video for yourself ;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

'The more money you got the more problems you get'

Probably best advice is to stay where you haven't got any, eh? That way, everyone will be happy. The poor will know their place and the rich will be undisturbed in their palaces, with their cognac, Krystal and fancy women. Crossin that line only leads to trouble.

If they think baseball isn't very manly, imagine what they think of golf.

I have found that to be a public perception in general.

Once you have been playing golf for a while, you realize to play well you have to be athletic. Well developed core and leg muscles are essential to maintaining posture and a good pivot.

Its questions like this that keep racism alive in this country, well intentioned as they may seem. There have been many black players on the tour, all great players and gentlemen. I see black players all the time on the golf courses. Time to move on and forget people's color and questions like this.

I picked up golf because I had older family members involved in the game. They got me interested at a young age.

Most tour players are in the 25-35 range, meaning that their older family members who would have steered them to the game are close to 50 years old. 50 years ago, this country was a little different in terms of race issues and golf was not exactly an easy sport for african americans to become involved in.

Brown v. Board of Education was only written 53 years ago.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Let's not forget about Jim Brown who's playing on the Champion's Tour. And for the record, I agree with wachesawgolfer.

In my bag:
Launcher 460 9 degree aldila stiff shaft
13 degree fairway wood aldila stiff shaft
Halo 2i hybrid stiff shaft
CG4 irons 4 thru PW regular graphite shaftsCG10 wedges 52,56, and 60 degreeOdyssey Putter #4

Well when all is said and done maybe The First Tee is not working?

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Well when all is said and done maybe The First Tee is not working?

Ther First Tee Programs mission is to help kids with life goals, promote life enhancing values and character development through golf. It is not to make more black children play or groom them for the tour at all. It really has nothing to do with Race. Anyways I think the program does lots of good.

http://www.thefirsttee.org/Files/Lib...esversion2.pdf
* What is the purpose of The First Tee? The First Tee is an initiative of the World Golf Foundation.The focus is to give young people of all backgrounds an opportunity to develop, through golf and character education, life-enhancing values such as honesty, integrity and sportsmanship. The mission of The First Tee is: To impact the lives of young people by providing learning facilities and educational programs that promote character-development and life-enhancing values through the game of golf.

I think there are a lot of factors that go into why there are not may black PROs in the game. I think a lot of them has already been beaten to death. Personally I think it is a mix of a lot, opportuinity, money, and desire all playing a part.

I hate to be negative on you...but what a myopic view of the world. I would venture to say that your experience with your black classmate (and from the general tone of your post, maybe the only one?) is the exception not the rule. Affirmative action which is the idea you are railing against isn't necessarily meant to pick and choose individuals for specific positions. It is meant to elevate or at least give the opportunity to blacks to hold positions of 'power' i.e. management, owner, etc...so that more black people have opportunities in the future. Think of it as "paying it forward" not to mention the fact that racism still exists and that slavery ended only approximately 140 yrs ago, so in roughly half of our country's existence we have subjugated the race so in the other half we have made a complete 180* turn? Let's be real.

Look at the flip side of your coin. You and your parensts should be commended for how hard you worked to establish a better life than your parents had for themselves. You said yourself that you had to work hard for everything you got...but imagine the stereotypicl inner-city youth. One parent, impoverished living conditions, comically substandard schools, and images of drug dealers and crackheads every day. Think how hard this person would have to work to even accomplish the modest standards that you set up for yourself? Why shouldn't this person be given a little help to get out? He most certainly didn't ask to be placed in those conditions. Here is an analogy using your terms...I want to have tiger's swing, but I am not working hard enought to get it. It oversimplifies the statement and doesn't take into consideration obstacles, say if I had one arm, that are there.

Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!