IGNORED

Greeting From Eastern PA!

KyleH

Hi all! Honored to be here with TST. You all seem like a good group of people. As the title suggests I live in Eastern PA (close to NJ off i78), if you're nearby lets get a round in together!

I've been playing nearly 20 years off and on but over the past 6 or 7 years, golf became a lifestyle to me - though my scoring doesn't reflect that necessarily (generally ~11 HDCP). I used to live on a little 9 hole course in NJ and saw my lowest HDCP (~7) cause I was able to get out and play everyday. Now, its about a 15 min trek to my course (Architects in Phillipsburg, NJ) and having a young daughter makes it even tougher to make playing golf a top priority. 

I just moved to the area about a year ago so I don't have any regular playing partners and generally like to play solo when I can. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to TST! You’ve got some fine people on this site close to you! Cheers!

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Greeting From Eastern PA!
  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Welcome to TST! You’ve got some fine people on this site close to you! Cheers!

Like who? 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Welcome!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, KyleH said:

Hi all! Honored to be here with TST. You all seem like a good group of people. As the title suggests I live in Eastern PA (close to NJ off i78), if you're nearby lets get a round in together!

I've been playing nearly 20 years off and on but over the past 6 or 7 years, golf became a lifestyle to me - though my scoring doesn't reflect that necessarily (generally ~11 HDCP). I used to live on a little 9 hole course in NJ and saw my lowest HDCP (~7) cause I was able to get out and play everyday. Now, its about a 15 min trek to my course (Architects in Phillipsburg, NJ) and having a young daughter makes it even tougher to make playing golf a top priority. 

I just moved to the area about a year ago so I don't have any regular playing partners and generally like to play solo when I can. 

Welcome to TST!

I just got done playing at Architects. Great course.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Like who? 😄

Beats me 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, KyleH said:

It is a great course! How often do you play there?

It was my first time there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, billchao said:

It was my first time there.

I just went thru the hole-by-hole description on their site, what an interesting golf course!

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

6 hours ago, mohearn said:

I just went thru the hole-by-hole description on their site, what an interesting golf course!

It's pretty cool. The architect didn't directly copy any hole designs, but the idea is that the holes are an homage to the architects they're dedicated to. For example, #2 is dedicated to C.B. MacDonald, who is known for a lot of his template holes. #2 at Architects is essentially an Eden hole with a green that slopes from back to front, a large hill bunker on the left and a "Strath" bunker on the right. The Strath bunker is traditionally a pot bunker and even though this one isn't, it's still well below the hole and you can't see the green from it. That's where my shot ended off the tee.

large.1138003580_AGC2Tee.jpeg

I don't know enough about golf course architecture to be able to appreciate it all but it's definitely an interesting golf course, though some of its many bunkers are in a state of disrepair and are completely unplayable. Maintaining bunkers is expensive. To their credit they seem to be rebuild or at least refilling bunkers with fresh sand and they're prioritizing the ones that are in play. The greenside bunkers all seem to have fresh white sand in them, but a number of fairway bunkers were devoid of sand and littered with rocks.

2 hours ago, KyleH said:

Oh cool! What was the most memorable hole for you?

I don't think there's one most memorable hole per se, but I think #7, #13, and #17 really stand out in my mind.

On #7 you have to hit a drive through a narrow chute and you can't see what the hole looks like at all from the tee.

large.1780656487_AGC7TeeResized.jpeg

Then the hole completely opens up when you get to your approach shot and it reveals the fairway is 50 yards wide in your landing area. But then the green is guarded on the left with a bunker and on the right with a copse of trees.

large.842159536_AGC7Approach.jpeg

#13 is the Alister Mackenzie hole, or as I called it, the Augusta #12 approach shot hole. You can see the green complex from the tee box and it's reminiscent of #12 at Augusta.

large.1441235720_AGC13Tee.jpeg

It's the shortest par 5 on the course with a lagoon on the left and a big fairway bunker on the right, but the bunker looks closer than it actually is (it was 300 yards to the front edge yesterday). Unfortunately this big fairway bunker is one of the ones in disrepair. The green itself is quite long, like 150', but narrow, only about 30' wide. Or deep, really, because it's set on a diagonal to the hole so that no matter what angle your approach shot is coming from, you only have 10 yards of green to land it on.

large.2095539932_AGC13Approach.jpeg

If you want to go for the green in 2 you have to carry the "creek" guarding the front which is a drainage ditch of some sort and there are bunkers behind it, so you have a very small window in which to carry a long iron or hybrid.

#17 is just a really cool looking hole. It's just completely guarded front and back with amorphous bunkers. From the tee it kind of looks like one giant bunker with a flag in it.

large.677384088_AGC17.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 9/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, billchao said:

It's pretty cool. The architect didn't directly copy any hole designs, but the idea is that the holes are an homage to the architects they're dedicated to. For example, #2 is dedicated to C.B. MacDonald, who is known for a lot of his template holes. #2 at Architects is essentially an Eden hole with a green that slopes from back to front, a large hill bunker on the left and a "Strath" bunker on the right. The Strath bunker is traditionally a pot bunker and even though this one isn't, it's still well below the hole and you can't see the green from it. That's where my shot ended off the tee.

large.1138003580_AGC2Tee.jpeg

I don't know enough about golf course architecture to be able to appreciate it all but it's definitely an interesting golf course, though some of its many bunkers are in a state of disrepair and are completely unplayable. Maintaining bunkers is expensive. To their credit they seem to be rebuild or at least refilling bunkers with fresh sand and they're prioritizing the ones that are in play. The greenside bunkers all seem to have fresh white sand in them, but a number of fairway bunkers were devoid of sand and littered with rocks.

I don't think there's one most memorable hole per se, but I think #7, #13, and #17 really stand out in my mind.

On #7 you have to hit a drive through a narrow chute and you can't see what the hole looks like at all from the tee.

large.1780656487_AGC7TeeResized.jpeg

Then the hole completely opens up when you get to your approach shot and it reveals the fairway is 50 yards wide in your landing area. But then the green is guarded on the left with a bunker and on the right with a copse of trees.

large.842159536_AGC7Approach.jpeg

#13 is the Alister Mackenzie hole, or as I called it, the Augusta #12 approach shot hole. You can see the green complex from the tee box and it's reminiscent of #12 at Augusta.

large.1441235720_AGC13Tee.jpeg

It's the shortest par 5 on the course with a lagoon on the left and a big fairway bunker on the right, but the bunker looks closer than it actually is (it was 300 yards to the front edge yesterday). Unfortunately this big fairway bunker is one of the ones in disrepair. The green itself is quite long, like 150', but narrow, only about 30' wide. Or deep, really, because it's set on a diagonal to the hole so that no matter what angle your approach shot is coming from, you only have 10 yards of green to land it on.

large.2095539932_AGC13Approach.jpeg

If you want to go for the green in 2 you have to carry the "creek" guarding the front which is a drainage ditch of some sort and there are bunkers behind it, so you have a very small window in which to carry a long iron or hybrid.

#17 is just a really cool looking hole. It's just completely guarded front and back with amorphous bunkers. From the tee it kind of looks like one giant bunker with a flag in it.

large.677384088_AGC17.jpeg

Wow, I can see that you really take in the moments at the courses you play. What a proper analysis of those holes! #7 is one of my favorite holes because it tests your ability to not think about the narrow chute you have to get through.

If you're in the area at any point, let's get a round in!

On 9/19/2022 at 8:33 PM, KyleH said:

If you're in the area at any point, let's get a round in!

Sure thing!

Bill

My Swing Thread