IGNORED

Is This Actually Slow?

jshots

This is old footage, forgive me if my search missed any post about it, but first time I saw it coming across twitter. Is this actually slow? 

I don't think that it is, everyone is roasting him because it looks odd to them doesn't have a clue. Any other guy not using aimpoint would be 20 ft behind their ball, 20 foot other side of the cup, analyzing from every angle below the hole. 42 seconds to hit the putt seems not bad for this putt IMO.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, jshots said:

This is old footage, forgive me if my search missed any post about it, but first time I saw it coming across twitter. Is this actually slow? 

I don't think that it is, everyone is roasting him because it looks odd to them doesn't have a clue. Any other guy not using aimpoint would be 20 ft behind their ball, 20 foot other side of the cup, analyzing from every angle below the hole. 42 seconds to hit the putt seems not bad for this putt IMO.

I would use something other than my forefinger and gesture at him... as I was moving to the 2nd tee box alone.  Is that Keegan Bradley?  I'd do the same with him.

P.S. - I'm so happy he missed the putt.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jshots said:

It's not too slow, though he didn't really need to point in both directions. You're not wrong about what other people would have done to read the putt, either.

I think I got into a "discussion" before about this on Twitter. AimPoint, done properly, is a significantly faster method of reading greens than the old way of looking around, crouching from both sides, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, jshots said:

Is AimPoint slow? No. Was this particular putt slow? I think so, but I won’t judge him because his four footers matter more than mine.

This is social media sensationalism. If he made the putt it wouldn’t be on twitter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I found Aimpoint to be faster than people who go through the traditional green reading of the following.

1. Read behind the ball then
  2. Read from behind the hole then
  3. Read from other points on the green. 

Will it be faster than the person who just glances and putts, no. For serious green reading, it’s fast 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Is AimPoint slow? No. Was this particular putt slow? I think so, but I won’t judge him because his four footers matter more than mine.

This is social media sensationalism. If he made the putt it wouldn’t be on twitter.

See I don't think that it was particularly slow at all for a tour player. I believe this is match play so he has to make the putt.

Here for example - Cam Smith, 53 seconds into this video until he takes his stroke and it appears like he was reading the putt before the video started. Granted in the Keegan Bradley clip he may have been doing some reading before hand as well. 

Or how bout this one of Rickie

I just don't get what people are so up in arms about. Keegan in this clip is probably faster than most, yet people think it is slow and the only thing I can come up with is that it looks odd to them.

:whistle:

32 minutes ago, jshots said:

See I don't think that it was particularly slow at all for a tour player.

Sorry, I didn’t realize this topic is in Tour Talk so my response that it was slow was based on regular golf, not PGA Tour level golf.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I play with a guy who mocks, derides, wise cracks, etc., over my using Aimpoint, usually at least once or twice per round. It's just his personality; he likes to try to get under peoples' skin, and his "joking" is not limited to Aimpoint by any means. But even though he is fairly knowledgable about golf and a good player (passed the PGA club pro exam and was an assistant for about 6 years in his 20s), he refuses to even try aimpoint. 

I'm convinced it's because he thinks it looks funny. And admittedly, it can look, well, "funny" may not be the best word, but standing over the line of your putt and pausing is a little unusual looking. Anyway my point is that I think sometimes people will complain that Aimpoint is "slow" but what their issue really is that they think it looks funny and it annoys them that someone is doing it, and they want to say something negative about the method or the player using it. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

It depends on if it is his and the group's first putt.  If he has been standing there and watching others get ready and putt he doesn't need so long.  Also, at an amateur level that is slow.  At the pro level it is positively rapid😊

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

5 hours ago, Big Lex said:

And admittedly, it can look, well, "funny"

It doesn’t look as funny as a highly paid tour player plumb-bobbing with a putter that doesn’t remotely hang vertical. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave