IGNORED

Irons Coming Soon to a Costco Near You

I stumbled across this.

323201814_549563753735074_15855262906165

Ryan Barath shared a post on Instagram: "🚨🚨🚨It’s happening!🚨🚨🚨 ➡️➡️Looks like Costco has paired up with indi golf (makers of wedges and putters) to produce a hollow-body iron with some sort of tungsten...

I don't know Ryan Barath from Moses. But if Costco puts a set of irons out, I'll be very interested to see how it does. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I stumbled across this.

323201814_549563753735074_15855262906165

Ryan Barath shared a post on Instagram: "🚨🚨🚨It’s happening!🚨🚨🚨 ➡️➡️Looks like Costco has paired up with indi golf (makers of wedges and putters) to produce a hollow-body iron with some sort of tungsten...

I don't know Ryan Barath from Moses. But if Costco puts a set of irons out, I'll be very interested to see how it does. 

I've not tried their wedges nor their putter but it seems that they sell quite a few.   Since these new irons will be priced low I'd guess they'll sell some.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've not tried their wedges nor their putter but it seems that they sell quite a few.   Since these new irons will be priced low I'd guess they'll sell some.

I've met a few golfers who seem to swear by the Kirkland Golf Ball. I've tried a few and they seem fine. They don't come in bright goofy colors so I don't use them. 

I was under impressed with the putter. But it was okay. Not sure what I expected. 
Never tried their wedges. 

I shop at Costco a lot so I'm oddly routing for them to be successful. 

Certainly a lot of buzz.

It is interesting to think where they fit in the market. I have yet to see any wedges or putters in the bags of serious golfers. The ball occasionally, but most golfers I've played with have tried multiple golf balls. But I have yet to play with a golfer "loyal" to their brand of ball. I never understood why they make a "high-end" Pro-V1 type ball. Why not make a cheaper cheap ball. Go for volume. 

There is certainly a group of >10 rounds a year who this iron seems like a good solution for. But then why not a super game improvement cavity back iron. Why the blade look? Or if they were going for the blade look why not just copy somebody like they did with the ball and the Pro-V1. 

Lots of questions I probably won't get answers for.

Michael

26 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Why not make a cheaper cheap ball. Go for volume. 

At my Costco 2 dozen were selling around Christmas time for 25 bucks. It doesn't get much cheaper than a dollar per ball. 

Even at full price, by me they are 35 bucks for 2 dozen. That's less than a buck and a half per ball. Which is cheaper than most Top-Flite balls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If I can get a set of 8 irons for $450 I’ll probably give a run. Of course that’s assuming they make left handed ones.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 4:16 PM, Vinsk said:

If I can get a set of 8 irons for $450 I’ll probably give a run. Of course that’s assuming they make left handed ones.

They won't

Most anything with the Kirkland name on it is of good quality at a reasonable price. Their wedges are well worth the price especially for beginner to intermediate and occasional players. The quality seemed to be on par with Cleveland. My problem is they do not offer left handed wedges. I bought a left handed putter in Canada. It was worth the price just did not work for me because of my stroke. 

Edited by Groundhog34

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, mchepp said:

I never understood why they make a "high-end" Pro-V1 type ball. Why not make a cheaper cheap ball. Go for volume. 

I thought of this post yesterday when I was in my local Costco. The Kirkland ball is $27 per 2 dozen golf balls. Roughly, a buck per ball. 

That has to be the lowest cost urethane covered ball on the market. At $13.50/dozen it has to be one of the lowest cost of any golf ball. Even the ionomer or surlyn cover golf balls are running near $20 per dozen at least. 

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I thought of this post yesterday when I was in my local Costco. The Kirkland ball is $27 per 2 dozen golf balls. Roughly, a buck per ball. 

That has to be the lowest cost urethane covered ball on the market. At $13.50/dozen it has to be one of the lowest cost of any golf ball. Even the ionomer or surlyn cover golf balls are running near $20 per dozen at least. 

Okay, but my point is they could make a non-eurothane version for $0.50-$0.75 a ball and it would be targeted at 10 rounds a year golfers. Out of curiosity do you use them?

Michael

28 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Okay, but my point is they could make a non-eurothane version for $0.50-$0.75 a ball and it would be targeted at 10 rounds a year golfers. Out of curiosity do you use them?

Why would they do that? 

Literally the only ball on the market that's less expensive than the Krikland is The Nitro and nobody buys those. Kirkland's price is already cheaper than any "Non-Nitro" ball out there. It's only 39% of what the next cheapest urethane ball costs, and it's 1/4 the price of the PRO-V1. If Kirkland balls aren't selling, it's not because they are priced too high. 

In answer to your question, I have used them. They seemed fine to me. But I'm a bad example, because I don't play white golf balls. Ask anybody who plays with me. I can't see for Sh!t. So, I used to only play orange matte balls. But now, I play the Srixon Divide, or the Taylormade Stripe. I really like the Divide in yellow and orange. 😁

12 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Why would they do that? 

Literally the only ball on the market that's less expensive than the Krikland is The Nitro and nobody buys those. Kirkland's price is already cheaper than any "Non-Nitro" ball out there. It's only 39% of what the next cheapest urethane ball costs, and it's 1/4 the price of the PRO-V1. If Kirkland balls aren't selling, it's not because they are priced too high. 

In answer to your question, I have used them. They seemed fine to me. But I'm a bad example, because I don't play white golf balls. Ask anybody who plays with me. I can't see for Sh!t. So, I used to only play orange matte balls. But now, I play the Srixon Divide, or the Taylormade Stripe. I really like the Divide in yellow and orange. 😁

Agree hard to beat the Kirkland balls, I have played them and thought they were pretty good especially for the price. Mind you I can find the woods with any priced ball.🙃 Have you played the Volvik brand? I don't know a lot about them but the have some pretty bright coloring on them.🌈

43 minutes ago, Parnorth said:

Agree hard to beat the Kirkland balls, I have played them and thought they were pretty good especially for the price. Mind you I can find the woods with any priced ball.🙃 Have you played the Volvik brand? I don't know a lot about them but the have some pretty bright coloring on them.🌈

That's awesome. YES>>>>> For about 4 years I played Volvik Vivid Sherbet Orange exclusively!
They were damned near the ONLY ball I played for at least 3 years. I was a very early adopter of the colorful matte golf balls. My wife and kids got me an 18 pack of Volvik Vivid golf balls for my birthday one year (2018 I think... it may have been 2017?). The 18 pack came with 3 orange, 3 sherbet, 3 blue, 3 red, 3 yellow and 3 chartreuse. I did some very unscientific experiments with them and found I could see the sherbet the best. So, that became my ball.

Funny story; so about a year into my Volvik Sherbet journey. My dad comes to visit and gives me like 5 dozen of them. Plus 2 Volvik hats and some other Volvik stuff. Turns out a buddy of his went to work for Volvik and the company in charge of their North American distribution. My dad knew that was the ball I played, so his buddy gave him a pile of Volvik stuff. Which he in turn, gave to me. 

Anyway, a little more than a year ago, I started playing the orange and yellow Divide from Srixon in addition to my Sherbet Volviks. Then my dad passed away last year and now I've pretty much gone exclusively to the Srixon Divide. Although for Christmas my family got me a couple dozen Taylormade Tour Response Stripe balls, both in Yellow/White and Blue/White. So now, I have about 4 dozen each of Taylormade TR Stripe (2 doz yellow, 2 doz blue) and 4 dozen Srixon Z-Star Divide in my closet. Should be plenty enough to last the entire year. 

So, to get back on topic, If Kirkland ever starts making a high-visibility golf ball. I'm sure I'll be all over it like white on rice .... or like white on most golf balls. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Watched a YouTube 'review' of the upcoming Costco clubs.  They seem to think the irons might be decent but corners will be cut on the woods, particularly the driver.  Look forward to those coming out and if they are good will consider upgrading to them, vitamin M permitting.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 1 month later...