IGNORED

2023 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas

Birdied the short par 5 #1 hole at Spooky Brook today. Driver - 7i to 12', missed the eagle putt. It's a repeat, though. I need 4,5,6, and 8 on the front and 10, 14, 16, and 18 to finish my away composite. There's still plenty of golf left this year.

I'm surprised I haven't birdied a #18 hole, yet. Three out of the four courses I play regularly have par 5 finishing holes, including today's course. I chunked my pitch shot though so that ruined any chance of a birdie on 18 today.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Birdied 6, 9, and 12 today at Woodmont (South). We skipped 7, 8, and then stopped after 13 and drove in.

Six was un-birdied as of today on the away course composite, so I'm down to only four holes for that: 1, 4, 11, and 17.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Holed a couple of good putts today to make a new birdie on the par 5 8th and a repeat birdie on the par 4 14th. A couple of decent holes in amongst some dross. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Only 2 more to go, #1 and #9.  

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Finally got #4 this week after work while playing the first 6 holes. Driver, 5W, lob wedge flip to 2 feet on a 500 yard par 5 that was playing into the wind. I really can't believe it took so long for a par 5. Off the tee its a big fairway but the layup is tricky because the fairway circles from left to right around a lake and it slopes towards the water. The green is tiny, with a bottom plateau and a top with the middle being all slope and bunkers left and right. Seriously they can stick a pin close to an edge where it feels like its on a ping pong table. 

Only 2 left, 11 and 18! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

And then there was one....

Number 11 fell today with a driver to the end of the right fairway bunker that was playing firm due to rain and hit a pitching wedge from 120 to 15 feet.  Playing one ball to the right, I poured it in. 

Now, when will 18 fall? 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

I forgot to add #14 to the list from… Tuesday. Drained about a 25-footer that looked good the whole way.

Home course. Always good to knock off the par threes. That leaves me with 8, 13, and 18.

I'll get 8 and 13 pretty easily once I settle in to not "practicing" so much on the golf course. 18 won't be as easy.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I actually started the year with 4 birdies on January 2nd, so I had a great start.   5 birdies Saturday, with 3 new ones that I hadn't already had.   At my course, #2, #5 and #7 are all tough.  #5 had a bell behind the green where if you birdie it, you ring the bell because it's so rare.  #7 is harder IMO, it's a 90  degree dog leg with a shallow landing area to be able to hit to the green (par 4) and until very recently the green had a huge hump in the front that would make balls release way to the back, so most of the time it's hard to be close to the pin.

The only time I birdied #7 was two years ago and I holed out from the fairway.   #2 is just a narrow green to hit, it's 2 tiered and has a lot of break.   If you birdie #7 it's almost guaranteed you'll win a skin in a tournament.

I have five remaining.  2 are par threes, just haven't had a putt drop (one is the 18th handicap hole) and one is a par 5.   And of course, #7 has yet to be conquered.

—Adam

Birdied the 15th at Lake Winnipesaukee CC, my friends course, a 135 yard, downhill par 3. Hit a 9 iron to two feet. 

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, billchao said:

I'm surprised I haven't birdied a #18 hole, yet.

Finally got #18, at Green Knoll. Perfect draw with the driver (intentionally shaped) right down the middle of the fairway, had about 220 to the middle of the green on the uphill blind approach. I knew it was a front flag though so I went with 4i and the line never left the flagpole that marks the middle of the green. Ended up just 2’ short in the fairway, hit the putt about 20” past the hole. Tap-in birdie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Still looking for #18, but on the 350 yard 15, hit 4 wood and had 130 left. Pitching wedge to a foot and it disappeared. Eagle! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Birdied #6 at Quail Brook. Didn’t think it was new at the time but apparently it was.

Flared my tee shot right of the bunkers into the tall stuff. It wasn’t a great lie so I hacked it out with a 7i and advanced it pretty well, then hit a 3/4 GW to 8’.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Made a nice breaking 10 footer on #4 today. Had some other good opportunities but could only convert one. Slow progress beats no progress. 😉

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

Three birdies (maybe four) at an away course today (Scarlet at OSU), but none on one of the four holes I'm still missing from my away course composite.

• 2 weeks later...

Two birdies at Quail Brook today. Chipped in on #3 (not new) and made an eight foot putt on the par 3 #8 (new).

Just need #4 & 5 on the front and #10, 14, & 16 on the back to complete the challenge.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Friday night just before I go to bed get a call from my friends.  Tee off is saturday morning at 615 or so.  And we need to get into the course by around 545.  Fortunately a close by course.  Left home at 525 and then picked up my friend.  We get in before they close the gates at 6.

Decent round overall.  Best hole was my birdie obviously though that was courtesy of a good one putt.  Many other holes had me on the green in regulation too.  Hole 6 is a par 5 dogleg right.  Great driver off the tee.  Reached the dogleg and then a great second with my 4 hybrid got me very close to the green.  Maybe 10 or 20 yards.  Good chip got me within 5 feet and one putt.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Eagled 9 today, so now I’m down to 1 birdie needed

• Thumbs Up 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

It's been a while, but I still need 18. It may be a while more because of a sprained left thumb. There is nothing worse than a golf injury. I think about it (my thumb and #18) every single day! 🤣