IGNORED

Driver Shaft Is Dead

nvkevin

@Pretzel that’s a great tip on the epoxy. I do quite a few projects and home DIY things so I have a propane torch and heat gun for removal. I’ll be trying to reuse the original adapter if possible just for the experience of removing and installing. 

@Darkfrog I actually watched videos by both of those guys you mentioned just yesterday. Both are very informative. I’ve done grips several times and I’m sure this process isn’t much more difficult. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nvkevin said:

Ah gotcha. Sorry, I misinterpreted your intent. No offense meant. Thanks for the insight as I am new to this side of the game. To further answer your question, it will mostly be used as a backup for me. Most people that visit me to play golf already have their own clubs. 

No issues.  In that case, get your new driver specs and replicate it best (and affordably) you can with the shaft on your backup driver.  But do note that the head specs might be different on both drivers and hence you can't just do a straight replica of the shaft only and expect identical results.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

The wife's Tahoe? Sounds like grounds for dismissal.....

For the Tahoe or the wife??  Haha

• Funny 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

• 1 month later...

I did a repair. Is the pin the adapter you speak of? It is a smaller diameter rod that is solid. It fits into the shaft which is hollow then epoxy it into the head. My worry is the repair I made was a snapped pin at the head. I applied heat to both got both pins out and just used the longer of the two pins as my repair. My question is how long does anyone think it will last? The pin is only a few inches instead of the three or more it use to be 

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

On 1/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, Pretzel said:

Only thing I would mention to be careful of is to make sure you buy the 5-minute epoxy and not 24-hour epoxy, or at least be well aware if you do end up using the 24-hour epoxy. With just an adapter to attach onto the shaft 24-hour epoxy is easy since you just set the shaft tip-up until it sets without having to worry about affixing both clubhead and shaft in place while it sets. I once made that mistake with some iron shafts and set the up with 24-hour epoxy in the morning (didn't pay attention to which bottle I used), went to go play a round that afternoon and sent a clubhead flying on the first teebox before realizing my mistake.

That's a great story.
I always use the 24 hour epoxy. Two reasons. 1 - It's usually cheaper. 2 - It has like 2% higher tinsel strength. (Which I know actually doesn't matter, but I'm I'm always thinking more strength = better.) 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, Pretzel said:

You don't even need to buy a new adapter, if you have a heat gun or a propane torch then you can use that to remove the adapter from your current broken shaft without any worries of ruining the shaft by overheating it because the shaft is already ruined anyways!

I've done this several times as well. One suggestion, they make products which protect the adapter when you heat it. There are others, but Golfworks has Club Shield Paste Gel. You can use that to keep the adapter from discoloring when you heat it. 

gw1039__68522.1674185788.386.513.jpg?c=1

Non Toxic Paste that safeguards vital parts of the golf club that can be destroyed by heat or open flames.

Of course, the discoloration will not affect the performance of the adaptor, but it might be unsightly. 
By the same token it's almost cost neutral to buy the protectant or buy a new adapter, so if you are only going to do one of these.... well... 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

2% higher tinsel strength

I think the red is the higher strength.😜

D2870B94-955E-49E0-882C-36CD31D416C8.jpeg

• Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

31 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I think the red is the higher strength.😜

D2870B94-955E-49E0-882C-36CD31D416C8.jpeg

Oh that's funny. 
As I've always said I don't proof read. 

... I just press "Submit Reply". 

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Rim shot. 

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

(edited)
17 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

Duck tape it together.

I put a few wads of bubble gum inside the shaft, then a few wraps of baling wire before I wrapped it in duck tape. Good as new. Time to swing away!!

Edited by nvkevin