IGNORED

Driver Shaft Is Dead

nvkevin

We arrived home from a weekend of golf and family in the Carson City area (not recently) to find my driver in two pieces in the back of the wife’s Tahoe. Not quite sure how it happened, but now I get to replace the shaft.  This doesn’t seem like too tough of a process, so I’m going to tackle this one on my own when I decide on a shaft. I’m open to shaft suggestions if you guys have any…. I’ll post my shaft specs when I get home. 

I should mention that this won’t be my primary driver. I’ll be getting fitted for new clubs within the next month or so, so this driver will be relegated to my backup. 

A8B777DC-20A6-4371-8A5D-7661687CE80F.thumb.jpeg.576ea4e6c5ba3fc0a2e02958476f6b7c.jpeg

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, it still has an adjustable hosel, right? So you just get a new shaft with the right adapter… or remove your adapter and put it on a new shaft. Pretty easy. The club maker won't even need your driver head there.

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, it still has an adjustable hosel, right? So you just get a new shaft with the right adapter… or remove your adapter and put it on a new shaft. Pretty easy. The club maker won't even need your driver head there.

You are correct. Adjustable hosel. I am going to do the repair myself. The broken shaft is a Project X HZRDUS, 55g, 6.0, Mid spin, and it says T800 (not sure what that number is).  

image.thumb.jpg.810f6b8fd7953251cb6c5a2c8a3d6c32.jpg

Any suggestions on shafts in that configuration? I like the HZRDUS, so I’m not opposed to staying with the same shaft. 

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, nvkevin said:

Any suggestions on shafts in that configuration? I like the HZRDUS, so I’m not opposed to staying with the same shaft. 

I'm not much of a club fitter. I'll tag someone who knows more. I think @DrizZzY can help you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, nvkevin said:

You are correct. Adjustable hosel. I am going to do the repair myself. The broken shaft is a Project X HZRDUS, 55g, 6.0, Mid spin, and it says T800 (not sure what that number is).  

image.thumb.jpg.810f6b8fd7953251cb6c5a2c8a3d6c32.jpg

The HZRDUS T800 was essentially made to be used as stock shaft for the various manufacturers mainly Callaway and come in a few different colors. You can think of it as the "Made for" shaft for Callaway. Similar to the "Made for" Ventus shafts Taylormade used. 

The T800 are a mid-launch/spin shaft meant to try to fit a wide range of golfers. Most of the other HZRDUS shafts with some exceptions and to varying degrees tend to be more low launch/low spin. Another way to think of it is the T800 is the shaft for the masses, where the T1100 is the lowest launching, lowest spinning shaft for folks with really high swing speeds. Hzrdus (made by True Temper) makes a boat load of options in between. 

In my limited experience The Hzrdus line up is a good one. I'd rate them very high in terms of value for your money. Of course that's just one man's opinion. 

If you want a place to start, you can go to True Temper's "shaft fit" site. It's not bad at all at selecting a shaft for you. Here's a link for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

@ChetlovesMer nailed it. 

It looks like it’s a standard stiff 55g mid spin flight shaft. There’s tons of options on https://www.truetempersports.com/en-us/

Or go to https://www.golfworks.com/golf-club-shafts/c/2/

And compare pricing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

As others have mentioned there is boat load of options in that category of shaft. An older one but a good one (and cheap on ebay) would be the Aldila tour blue. An Evenflow Blue by project X would be another good option as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The Hzrdus line has Smoke Black and Blue and the newer RDX versions. The black will play closer to the T800 I think. If you liked the feel and launch, check with Golfworks for the closest match. There are a few of us on the site who play the Smoke Black.

Golfworks is great at responding to questions too.

Project X at The GolfWorks

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thank you all for the input. I figured the shaft was a “made for the masses” type shaft, but I don’t have any major complaints about it, so I figure I’ll stick with what’s working.
 I have been golfing for a long time but have never ventured into the club repair/maintenance side of things. As I play more, and learn more, the more I enjoy tinkering and tweaking things on my own, within my capabilities.  
I’ll check out the links you all provided and come back for any questions or thoughts. Thanks again everyone. 

17 minutes ago, nvkevin said:

Thank you all for the input. I figured the shaft was a “made for the masses” type shaft, but I don’t have any major complaints about it, so I figure I’ll stick with what’s working.
 I have been golfing for a long time but have never ventured into the club repair/maintenance side of things. As I play more, and learn more, the more I enjoy tinkering and tweaking things on my own, within my capabilities.  
I’ll check out the links you all provided and come back for any questions or thoughts. Thanks again everyone. 

You may be able to find your exact shaft and adapter on eBay used. A lot of people sell their stuff after they get a new shaft. Just make sure it’s the correct length.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

One thought I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet, if you're going for a fitting within the next month, why not just wait until then and see what shaft/head the fitter recommends and then make a decision for your backup shaft?

Let's say you go there and the optimal shaft for you is 75g X-stiff and low launch but 3 weeks prior you bought a 55g regular high launch one to replace your backup shaft. That wouldn't be ideal.

If I were you I'd wait until the fitting and at least see what they say. About the only downside of waiting is that you'd be without a driver for a couple weeks, maybe slightly more depending on how long it takes for a shaft to come in. Not the biggest deal in the world IMO.

Depending on the fitter too, you could explain your situation to them and if there was a few minutes left at the end they might let you hit a couple with your newly fitted shaft with the GBB Epic head.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

One thought I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet, if you're going for a fitting within the next month, why not just wait until then and see what shaft/head the fitter recommends and then make a decision for your backup shaft?

Let's say you go there and the optimal shaft for you is 75g X-stiff and low launch but 3 weeks prior you bought a 55g regular high launch one to replace your backup shaft. That wouldn't be ideal.

If I were you I'd wait until the fitting and at least see what they say. About the only downside of waiting is that you'd be without a driver for a couple weeks, maybe slightly more depending on how long it takes for a shaft to come in. Not the biggest deal in the world IMO.

Depending on the fitter too, you could explain your situation to them and if there was a few minutes left at the end they might let you hit a couple with your newly fitted shaft with the GBB Epic head.

It’s funny you mention this at this specific moment…. About 5 minutes ago I was having the same exact thought as I stared out my window at about 20” of snow. I haven’t had a need to get the driver fixed, more of a want and a back burner type project. There really is no rush…  I suppose I can spend some time doing research and learning up until I have my fitting. 

15 hours ago, nvkevin said:

I should mention that this won’t be my primary driver. I’ll be getting fitted for new clubs within the next month or so, so this driver will be relegated to my backup. 

If you are getting fit for new clubs, why would you put in a shaft that may not be ideal for you into this driver.  Wait for the fitting and then choose a shaft appropriately.  Also, I have to ask, why bother fitting a shaft into this.  Is it to keep in a backup set for you, or for others when they visit

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

9 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

If you are getting fit for new clubs, why would you put in a shaft that may not be ideal for you into this driver.  Wait for the fitting and then choose a shaft appropriately.  Also, I have to ask, why bother fitting a shaft into this.  Is it to keep in a backup set for you, or for others when they visit

As you noted in the quote of my original post, this driver will be put into a backup role and for others to use. 

Also, in the two posts directly above yours, we were discussing this exact thing. I will wait until my fitting to make sure I purchase the appropriate shaft for this driver. I honestly hadn’t thought about it until this morning; it didn’t even register in my thought process. 

49 minutes ago, nvkevin said:

As you noted in the quote of my original post, this driver will be put into a backup role and for others to use. 

The reason I asked the question was to figure out what shaft was needed.  A general driver for others means a generic regular or stiff shaft is all that you need.  If it is YOUR back up driver, then the same specs as your new club.  They may well be totally different specs in the shaft

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

30 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The reason I asked the question was to figure out what shaft was needed.  A general driver for others means a generic regular or stiff shaft is all that you need.  If it is YOUR back up driver, then the same specs as your new club.  They may well be totally different specs in the shaft

Ah gotcha. Sorry, I misinterpreted your intent. No offense meant. Thanks for the insight as I am new to this side of the game. To further answer your question, it will mostly be used as a backup for me. Most people that visit me to play golf already have their own clubs. 

If you don't end up buying a shaft with the Callaway adapter pre-nstalled (e.g., from ebay), epoxying an adapter to a shaft and putting on a grip are about the easiest club building repairs possible. Golfworks has everything that you need and there are lots of youtube tutorials for doing this. I like the McGolf Custom Clubs and Mobile Club Maker channels but they aren't the only ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

As others mentioned, the actual replacement should be easy with the only "hard" part being trying to figure out which way to install the adapter on it so that the shaft graphics are facing the way you want them once it's installed in the club. You don't even need to buy a new adapter, if you have a heat gun or a propane torch then you can use that to remove the adapter from your current broken shaft without any worries of ruining the shaft by overheating it because the shaft is already ruined anyways!

Only thing I would mention to be careful of is to make sure you buy the 5-minute epoxy and not 24-hour epoxy, or at least be well aware if you do end up using the 24-hour epoxy. With just an adapter to attach onto the shaft 24-hour epoxy is easy since you just set the shaft tip-up until it sets without having to worry about affixing both clubhead and shaft in place while it sets. I once made that mistake with some iron shafts and set the up with 24-hour epoxy in the morning (didn't pay attention to which bottle I used), went to go play a round that afternoon and sent a clubhead flying on the first teebox before realizing my mistake.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Thumbs Up 1