IGNORED

Looking for a Totally Self Propelled Golf Trolley for My Bag

I have had a Cart-tek which had a hand held remote but I want one that I don't have have any type of controller in my possession. I saw there was one that worked on some kind of optical imaging that you could control with hand signals. Has anyone tried it or maybe another option is out there? I don't mind spending money so long as it works consistently and last for a couple of years. 

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Looking for a Totally Self Propelled Golf Trolley for My Bag

I have a QOD cart. Made in Australia. Great cart No remote, but there are 2 different ways of controlling speed , at various levels.Were retailing for $1500, but are now $1000. I love it and very compact. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is not cheap but the Stewart Golf X10 is a "follow" cart which will follow your movements. I do not know much about it, but my wife recently won a Motocaddy so I did some research comparing different motorized carts.

I have the Stewart Q follow and it is fantastic

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/2/2023 at 7:56 AM, iceman777 said:

I have a QOD cart. Made in Australia. Great cart No remote, but there are 2 different ways of controlling speed , at various levels.Were retailing for $1500, but are now $1000. I love it and very compact. 

I also have the QOD, and its running fine after 4 years, but I don't think it fits the OPs preferences.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 4 weeks later...

April 24, 2023

I purchased my first MGI navigator in June of 2022.  Initially I had problem with the cart stopping without receiving a command.  I was told I would need to send it in for repair.  Well I had just received my new cart and decided to live with this inconvenience until a later date.

September of 2022 the cart stopped working and had no power to the top box or anything else. I was instructed to send it back to California, Okay and they sent me shipping labels.  I spoke with the tech and told him about him constant stopping and Ron asked me to put a note in the box to remind him, which I did.

I received the cart back about a week later and it was working but the condition of the stopping continued. I contacted Stacey again and she sent me a new top box and remote and thought that would fix the problem, it did not.  As summer and golf came to an end, I was instructed to send the cart back a second time, which I did.  It took several weeks for them to tell me they were sending me a new cart under warranty as they were unable to fix the problem, Great!.

In December I received my new cart and it was several weeks before I had the opportunity to get on the course.  I played 9 holes and put the cart away.  Several days later I went back to the course and the cart died on the starter shack.  This cart is a beast and not easily pushed even in the free wheel set up.  I took it back to my car and paid for a golf cart.

I returned home and spoke with Stacy again.  She admitted they had some problems with the motor controller and would send me a new one, along with a few other parts as I could repair it myself.  Okay, better than reboxing and sending back.  Sure enough the new motor controller fixed the problem…for two more rounds and I was left stranded on the course.  Did I mention this cart is a beast to push?  

At this point I had zero faith in the quality of this cart and contacted Stacey again and asked her for a refund.  She told me I would need to go through the sales department as they were the only ones that could authorize a refund. 

Now I am talking to Michelle in the sales department and she tells me they will need to get authorization from corporate in Australia and because they are on a different time zone in may be a few days.  By the end of the week I have not heard back and I call Michelle again and get the same song and dance so I ask for her supervisor.  Well she was busy and would need to call me back.  That didn’t happen so I called again and was finally put through to Shawna.  Shawna also verified they had problems with their controllers but told me they had a new batch and assured me it would fix the problem.  I really liked the cart when it worked and was willing to give it another chance.  She sent me a new controller and my cart was back on the course…for two more rounds before stranding me again.

My next conversation with Shawna, I was told that corporate agreed to a refund but I had to go through the 3rd party distributor and they would have to refund me and MGI would refund him.  What a load of crap.  Strikin Golf was the vendor and never returned their email, If they sent one and never returned my email.  At this point I asked Shawna if she would just send me a new cart and she told me she would. My intention was to sell the new cart in an unopened box and be done with MGI.  She also told me she would send some Fed ex labels for the return of their junk.   I never received the return labels, I have sent an email, left a number of voice mails and called 50 times with no one taking my calls.  There is no doubt in my mind that they have caller ID, know my number and are ignoring me.   MGI is a horrible company that took my hard earned money of $1500.00 and refuses to stand behind their product. I suspect they are bombarded with warranty issues at this point. 

In summary, the warranty cart I received has been on the course 4 times since January and between the first and second cart they have been through 5 motor controllers and the first cart made 2 trips back to a technician.  I have since purchased a competitors cart and have enjoyed stress free use of it. 

Lastly and in all fairness to a few of the employees,  Stacey for one, she jumped through hoops for me but to no avail.  On the other hand, I don’t like being lied to and that is exactly what Shawna did when she told me she would replace the replacement.  Wow!  At this point, I just hope I can make a difference in someone’s decision to purchase from this terrible company, Don’t do it.

Everything I have stated is accurate.  I have emails and phone records to back it all up.  I have probably called MGI USA 60  times since my original purchase less than a year ago.  I just want to go out and play golf while walking.  I’m 69 and try to stay in shape and this has really been stressful on me.  Shame on MGI.

I am interested in this topic.  I am getting ready to purchase a new electric trolley after using a Cart-tek for 6 years and MGI with AI is one of the brands I'm considering.  This causes me pause in the MGI decision.  Most of the people I know who have MGI love it and I haven't heard of this continuing after replacement of the controller.

What brand did you end up getting?

Mark in Colorado

I have the Stewart Q Follow, love it, had it for over a year.  Nothing like the cart following you down the fairway, it’s like having your own personal caddy

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 hours ago, skywaterbanjo said:

I am interested in this topic.  I am getting ready to purchase a new electric trolley after using a Cart-tek for 6 years and MGI with AI is one of the brands I'm considering.  This causes me pause in the MGI decision.  Most of the people I know who have MGI love it and I haven't heard of this continuing after replacement of the controller.

What brand did you end up getting?

See the PM I sent you. 

• Like 1

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Iwoodhitit said:

See the PM I sent you. 

Why not just post it here? It's a discussion forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

So after my scathing review of MGI and the problems I had, I finally  got some resolution.  I had asked for my money back but that didn't happen, so I requested a new cart and it arrived a few days ago.  The staff at MGI USA is probably being taxed right now with problems but that is only my opinion.  At the end of the day, I have a new, in the box, MGI Navigator cart.  This is the warranty of the warranty cart that I received in June.  The warranty I received in December  had a total of 27 holes on it and it is May.  I am going to sell it for $1000.00 and per Shana it can be registered and is still under warranty.  The whole ordeal was just too much.  I bought a bat caddy and while it has worked fine, I'm not thrilled about it either as it needs constant attention, like a bad dog.  In the end, my opinion of self propelled carts is not great but on the other hand I am unable to push a cart for 18 holes so I will be satisfied with what I have.  If the day ever comes that I go postal, it will probably be on some engineer...sarcasm.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, Iwoodhitit said:

April 24, 2023

I purchased my first MGI navigator in June of 2022.  Initially I had problem with the cart stopping without receiving a command.  I was told I would need to send it in for repair.  Well I had just received my new cart and decided to live with this inconvenience until a later date...........

..........I just hope I can make a difference in someone’s decision to purchase from this terrible company, Don’t do it.

Everything I have stated is accurate.  I have emails and phone records to back it all up.  I have probably called MGI USA 60  times since my original purchase less than a year ago.  I just want to go out and play golf while walking.  I’m 69 and try to stay in shape and this has really been stressful on me.  Shame on MGI.

`

This narrative is EXACTLY why I bought a Bat Caddy. I absolutely KNEW there could be problems, and I didn't want to deal with shipping back and forth to wherever the importer had a facility.  Bat Caddy's are made in China but service is local (local to me - I'm in NJ) with a service center in the Allentown/Bethlehem, PA area. FYI - MGI's are sold by Golf Galaxy. You would probably get better customer service, or at least an easier refund if it craps out, if you bought from there.

In response to the O.P.'s original question about a trolly that automatically follows, I would seriously reconsider such a purchase since #1, I doubt it would work perfectly and #2, these things are NOT 100% stable on uneven ground. Side-hill lies, depressions in fairways from underground drainage, transistions from cart path to grass...ALL of these conditions could cause the trolly to tip over. And specifically, for those with the "automatic follow" feature? What happens when you're ahead of the trolly, it's going over a footbridge over a creek behind you and you've veered off in a different direction for your ball? I'll answer that. Your clubs, bag and trolly are getting wet.

These things are great, but not yet perfected. I'm happy with mine and it has a remote that quickly becomes intuitive to handle. But even so, when I'm on bumpy ground or going over a bridge, I'm right there hanging on to the trolly, just in case. I do NOT want it following behind me. I want it in sight at all times.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

1 hour ago, xrayvizhen said:

for those with the "automatic follow" feature? What happens when you're ahead of the trolly, it's going over a footbridge over a creek behind you and you've veered off in a different direction for your ball? I'll answer that. Your clubs, bag and trolly are getting wet.

I hadn't thought of that

Colin P.

• Administrator
On 5/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, xrayvizhen said:

And specifically, for those with the "automatic follow" feature? What happens when you're ahead of the trolly, it's going over a footbridge over a creek behind you and you've veered off in a different direction for your ball? I'll answer that. Your clubs, bag and trolly are getting wet.

These kinds of carts exist in the world, and I don't see a bunch of posts from people claiming they lost their cart and club in creeks across the land.

So, they may have some smarts to them (i.e. it traces your path rather than constantly just trying to travel directly to you), or the operator just pays attention when they're going over a bridge and either manually controls it or brings the cart in closer to them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets