IGNORED

Is it Time to Buy a Pull/Push Cart?

I am on the bubble about buying a trolley as they say across the pond. The main reason is carrying my bag is ruining the side and back of my shirts. Ive only been back in the game for a few months and its bugging me. I never considered one. I thought they were for old guys or something like that. Like whats next, Velcro shoes and denim shorts, the early bird special? I am eligible for an AARP membership, so maybe that's my buy signal. Debt ceiling crisis, recession, inflation, who cares? Buying a cart is way more important. In all seriousness, does anyone use one and have a recommendation? Thanks guys.

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you ever watch NCAA golf, men and women, they use carts. It saves your back and a lot of energy. There are already a bunch of threads about carts, but I feel the Clic Gear 3.5 and 4.0 are the best I’ve used. The three wheels make it easy to maneuver. If you have a carry bag now with a wider 14 slot top, the 3.5 may be a better option because of the bungee belts. You can find them used on eBay. I just got a black 3.5 for a friend of mine for her birthday. It folds up small and fits in the trunk of her BMW with her bag and a bunch of beach stuff.

The 4.0 has a couple of improvements including better bag clearance from the wheel at the base and rubber bag belts instead of bungee. They are both great carts and will last a long time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Is it Time to Buy a Pull/Push Cart?
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If you have a carry bag now with a wider 14 slot top, the 3.5 may be a better option because of the bungee belts.

You said that when you were here, and I didn't mention it at the time, but I disagree. The silicone straps on the 4.0 are better, and they elevate the bag above the front wheel better, too. The adjustable height harness is nice as well.

That said, if you can get a 3.5 on a special price (used, even), go for it.

That has one of my favorite posts:

It's not as good as I remembered, but in a nutshell, it tells you a lot about ClicGear.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

You said that when you were here, and I didn't mention it at the time, but I disagree. The silicone straps on the 4.0 are better, and they elevate the bag above the front wheel better, too. The adjustable height harness is nice as well.

They are better straps but are barely long enough for the top of my bag. They need to be 3-4 inches longer.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

They are better straps but are barely long enough for the top of my bag. They need to be 3-4 inches longer.

It only needs to click in to the last "click" point. Plus, your bag is a cart bag with legs. 😉

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks guys. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

On 5/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, iacas said:

It's not as good as I remembered

I have that impression on a lot of people. 👍🤪👍

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have a ClicGear 3.5+, which I like. However, it has had these issues:

• The main tube snapped in half. 
  • The two tubes that lead to the handle both snapped.
  • One of the side wheel struts snapped. 
  • The brake works by holding plastic fins that protrude from the side of the front wheel. If you leave the brake on accidentally and push the cart the fins snap and the brake no longer works. You would have to replace the front wheel to fix. I fixed it, but it just broke again. Eventually gave up and removed the brake completely. 

That being said, ClicGear makes it easy to keep the cart working with excellent customer service, inexpensive replacement parts, and repair videos. It could be that other brands of similar age to mine have the same kinds of issues. 

Inconvenient when a tube snaps in the middle of a round, as I end up carrying my bag AND the cart! 

I picked up a two wheeled pull cart type trolley from Decathlon for under 50 dollars.  Two reasons for doing so.  No need to pay caddie fees and that has paid for itself.  Secondly, I get a bit more exercise with the walking and pulling of the cart.

I have honestly never carried because until recently I always used the tour type bag with a single strap and never the double type strap which you wear over your shoulders.  So I couldn't recommend the pull cart from experience against the carry bag, but I find the pull cart easy.  Only pulling uphill and through thick grass is a bit of a pain but I would suggest the cart over carrying on your back

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 5/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, boogielicious said:

It saves your back and a lot of energy.

This.

Just borrow the chepeast/worst 2 wheeled push-cart you can get and play 18 holes. The difference is HUGE. 

Last year (after a couple decades using push carts, Im' 39) I was forced to play without a cart on the practice round of an am competition. I carried a Ping Hoofer with a double strap and I was really tired and with back pain at the end, while I usually play/walk 54 holes each weekend with ease.    

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

This.

Just borrow the chepeast/worst 2 wheeled push-cart you can get and play 18 holes. The difference is HUGE. 

Last year (after a couple decades using push carts, Im' 39) I was forced to play without a cart on the practice round of an am competition. I carried a Ping Hoofer with a double strap and I was really tired and with back pain at the end, while I usually play/walk 54 holes each weekend with ease.    

I have the back of a pack mule, I'm more concerned with ruining my 20 dollar Greg Norman shirts I get at TJ Maxx. You are in Argentina? Reminded me of an old Top Gear episode.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, reidsou said:

• The brake works by holding plastic fins that protrude from the side of the front wheel. If you leave the brake on accidentally and push the cart the fins snap and the brake no longer works. You would have to replace the front wheel to fix. I fixed it, but it just broke again. Eventually gave up and removed the brake completely.

I've never heard of those parts snapping (the first three bullet points), and… you'd have to push the bottom part PRETTY hard (while the wheel also doesn't slide at all, which is what would most often happen). Plus, you don't need to replace the whole wheel - you can replace the little notched/gear type part. It's $7.

I've heard of the spring wearing out (the one that pulls the brake hammer back), and I've replaced those (they're $3) on my daughter's push cart, because she'd often flip the brake while the cart was still rolling and eventually (years of playing a lot of golf), it'd stretch out and get loose.

I have to wonder what the heck you were doing to your push cart to snap those tubes, though. Something seems to have happened to it to weaken it. Those things are solid. It's partly why they're a bit heavier than other push carts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, reidsou said:

That being said, ClicGear makes it easy to keep the cart working with excellent customer service, inexpensive replacement parts, and repair videos. It could be that other brands of similar age to mine have the same kinds of issues. 

Inconvenient when a tube snaps in the middle of a round, as I end up carrying my bag AND the cart! 

You’re not supposed to ride ON the cart ya know!😜

Ive had none of these issues on any of my carts, Clic Gear or Sun Mountain.

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I had a Clic Gear (lolder version, maybe 3.x) and the only issue I had was a damaged brake cable sheath from it getting caught on something and kinking. I used to fix bikes as a hobby, so it was a familiar repair, but I can see it being tricky to thread the cable sheath through the frame for someone who hasn't done something similar before.

I gifted the Clic Gear to a friend (who is still using it) and replaced it with a Bag Boy Tri-swivel which was lighter and folded smaller. It felt a little flimsier than the Clic Gear, but worked equally well, and nothing ever went wrong with it, and it was also gifted to a different friend (who is still using it).

Now I have an MGI motorized push cart, which I also endorse, although it is a bit large for my preference. I think I would have preferred something with a smaller folded size like the QOD.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I've never heard of those parts snapping (the first three bullet points), and… you'd have to push the bottom part PRETTY hard (while the wheel also doesn't slide at all, which is what would most often happen). Plus, you don't need to replace the whole wheel - you can replace the little notched/gear type part. It's $7.

I have to wonder what the heck you were doing to your push cart to snap those tubes, though. Something seems to have happened to it to weaken it. Those things are solid. It's partly why they're a bit heavier than other push carts.

It is mysterious, I agree. The tubes are aluminum. Maybe because the cart is year round in the trunk of my car and it has something to do with temperature changes? Though it doesn't get that cold in Seattle. 

They do sell replacement tubes on ClicGear's website. And video demonstrations of how to replace. Leading me to believe others have also experienced these types of failures. 

Yes, thanks for the reminder, don't have to replace the whole wheel. The labor to replace the notched part is time consuming though. (At least for me it was.)