IGNORED

Etiquette Violations (and Other Things) That Bug You

iacas

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:
  • Slow play that caused by people not being ready for their shot.
  • cart players who play one shot, then drive to the other ball.
  • players who wait for the green to clear on par 5s who no way in hell will ever reach the green on their next shot.
  • smoking materials and seeds on the green.
  • lastly, people who use “ass clown” and “ass hat” to describe stupid golfers when clearly “F**ktard” is the appropriate term.😉

Douche-poodle is another appropriate term for F***tards    

• Funny 2

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This one isn't so much of a dress code issue..   I mean obviously most guys wear a polo shirt.. heck i could care less if you are wearing a wife beater or tank top...     And it's not even the issue of wearing basketball shorts..   

But don't be playing the whole round with your ass showing...  literally i played a round a few weeks ago, and got paired up with 2 guys, and one guy literally had his basketball shorts hanging off his ass..   it was literally a full moon out on a sunny day 

It is what it is

People who don't help others look for their ball.  My rule of thumb is I will hit my ball and then go help a playing partner look for theirs.  This way I save time and can also help somebody potentially find their ball in the rough.

Slow play, especially when the group in front of you thinks they are all world number 1's, are hitting each shot for a million dollars and refuse to let quicker groups behind them through.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
5 hours ago, pganapathy said:

People who don't help others look for their ball.  My rule of thumb is I will hit my ball and then go help a playing partner look for theirs.  This way I save time and can also help somebody potentially find their ball in the rough.

By that time they’re already down to 90 seconds.

And there’s a limit. If I’m on my seventh ball search it may be my last. 😀

• Funny 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Agreed. 

Even for my own ball. If I'm hitting it sideways all day it's time to abandon the search more quickly and just take my medicine. I appreciate the help looking for my ball, But I wouldn't expect help looking for the 7th ball I lost that day. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 hours ago, iacas said:

By that time they’re already down to 90 seconds.

I get your point of the time lost, but overall we are slower if I go straight to help the person find the ball and then go back to hit my shot.  The overall time taken by our group comes first, which is determined by my aversion to slow play.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

45 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I get your point of the time lost, but overall we are slower if I go straight to help the person find the ball and then go back to hit my shot.  The overall time taken by our group comes first, which is determined by my aversion to slow play.

I believe @pganapathy’s approach of hitting first and then assisting in the search is a “recommended” practice to improve pace of play. Going to one’s ball and playing saves time since very often the other player finds his ball while the other player is hitting. 

I agree that it is irritating to help others search only to have no one bother when I occasionally need assistance. It doesn’t happen often but when someone does not assist, I may choose to not watch his/her ball very closely in the future or expend much energy assisting in a search.

Brian Kuehn

My absolute pet peeve is playing partners wandering off ahead, finding themselves in the way of my shot whilst maintaining that they’re in an ok place. No, you’re really not.  

It doesn’t happen often….but when it does… 😡

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrLeek said:

My absolute pet peeve is playing partners wandering off ahead, finding themselves in the way of my shot whilst maintaining that they’re in an ok place. No, you’re really not.  

It doesn’t happen often….but when it does… 😡

My major hate as well. They/many have this strange idea that if they aren't standing in a direct line between you and the flag then they are fine? and are doing so in the premise of playing ready golf.  Many of those I play with cant even bring themselves to stand still and turn around and see what happens to the ball I hit. 

If one does go ahead and hit it influences how one plays the shot, making sure that perhaps for example we dont turn the ball over and have it go hard left(if the person has advance on the left side), and a typical result of a miss to the right.

Net effect, I will wait until they are looking around to see why I are arent on the green yet(wait for them to get off the green) and then hit(Im not going to be the one standing in court pleading that i was justified in hitting my ball when they walked in range of my shot), possibly the message gets through that the round will take along time if they keep that up.

Edited by sac1
typo

• Administrator
On 7/1/2023 at 8:15 AM, colin007 said:

People who are sticklers for etiquette - specifically those who think they must wait for their "turn" or who won't advance to their ball because someone else on the other side of the fairway is "away". Basically anyone who is a detriment to ready golf.

8 hours ago, MrLeek said:

Fight!

P.S. I'm more on @colin007's side here. I walk ahead, to the side, and keep aware of the players behind me. I generally do this more with people that I know really well, though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have played with a few people where there was no way I would venture one foot past their ball. Their kill zone was a full 180 degrees. I like ready golf but I like living more. 😉

• Funny 4

Brian Kuehn

14 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I believe @pganapathy’s approach of hitting first and then assisting in the search is a “recommended” practice to improve pace of play. Going to one’s ball and playing saves time since very often the other player finds his ball while the other player is hitting. 

I agree that it is irritating to help others search only to have no one bother when I occasionally need assistance. It doesn’t happen often but when someone does not assist, I may choose to not watch his/her ball very closely in the future or expend much energy assisting in a search.

Only prob with that is now the rules(which apply at my club for all comps) give you 3 mins from the time the search is started, if you only have one person looking(the player) then chances of finding it within that time is 1/4 of having your playing partners also search, so the rules encourage people to not start looking for their ball until all players arrive at the spot and are able to search and hence slowing down play in general.  

20 minutes ago, sac1 said:

Only prob with that is now the rules(which apply at my club for all comps) give you 3 mins from the time the search is started, if you only have one person looking(the player) then chances of finding it within that time is 1/4 of having your playing partners also search, so the rules encourage people to not start looking for their ball until all players arrive at the spot and are able to search and hence slowing down play in general.  

This is possible but I had not witnessed anyone employing that strategy, they begin looking as soon as possible.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 6/30/2023 at 6:12 PM, iacas said:

For example:

• Your cart partner parks about five feet behind your golf ball, so you either swing while kinda worrying that you're going to hit the cart with your backswing or follow-through, or you have to move the cart.
  • Cart drivers who park beside the cart path instead of ON the cart path. Do those three feet really help you that much, buddy?
  • Players who are never ready to play when it's their turn.
  • Players who never get the flagstick (or even offer).

I'll stop at a par four there of my own and let you add some.

Yup! 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 7/1/2023 at 9:14 AM, iacas said:

I'm talking mostly about at the green. There's no need for another cart in your group to pass you there, so… just stay on the path. Otherwise you're just adding wear and tear to the grass. And the more people that do it, the more wear and tear it adds.

At the course I play most we have several less able cart players who have blue flags.  They will ride up to the edge of the green, and while I respect them as a transmet amputee.  What bugs me most are the ones who don’t have blue flags and they do it as well.  This course does not keep marshals on the course so carts go everywhere. If the sign says exit here, then exit! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

5 hours ago, sac1 said:

Reasonable point. If we start a discussion here, and this is worthy of some discussion, it will be off topic. I will respond elsewhere shortly.

Brian Kuehn

On 7/2/2023 at 7:11 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Agreed. 

Even for my own ball. If I'm hitting it sideways all day it's time to abandon the search more quickly and just take my medicine. I appreciate the help looking for my ball, But I wouldn't expect help looking for the 7th ball I lost that day. 

Can't imagine you hitting it sideways all day!

* Those golfers who look for balls in water holes and edges of the weeds when they haven't even lost their ball - slowing everyone down!

* Golfers who don't embrace the experience of golf experience in all of its joys (e.g. hitting it flush) and travails. (e.g. Golf = a good walk spoiled). What a great thing that we get to play a wonderfully challenging and complex game for multiple decades in a culture that celebrates amateur sports. 

* Golfers who do not fix their ball marks on the greens - or find one to fix!

• Thumbs Up 1

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Those that believe "Cart path only" is a suggestion.

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22