IGNORED

Being the Only Walker in the Group

boil3rmak3r

As I’ve gotten older, I have become the only walker in my group of guys (15 or so).  I don’t hold things up walking, but it’s just different than before.  It used to be chatting with a golf friend as we get to our balls, but now it’s just huffing it toward the two carts.  We always play in 3:45 or less and never lag behind the group in front. 

I don’t know…. I just miss the times when we all walked.  In a weird way, it makes me feel like the comradery isn’t there.  I know some of the guys have to ride for health reasons, but golf is not as enjoyable to me now.

Anyone else in my situation?  Or if you ride and have a single Walker, does that frustrate you?

Edited by boil3rmak3r

I understand what you mean. I ride more often than walk and I do see less interaction if I am the only walker on the group, but there is interaction.

we chat a little at the tee but once we’ve hit they are gone then we meet up again at the green, unless my ball happens to be near theirs. Thus a little less talk between tee & green.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Being the Only Walker in the Group

I like to walk for the most part. My wife and I and a friend rode a hilly course on the 4th and it felt like playing alone except on the tee. We usually walk but it was rainy and very humid.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I get paired up with Randos as a single almost all the time. 90-95% of the time, I am the walker. So it isn't like there is a bond or conversations I have to have. Chats are usually around the green or on the tee box. And maybe if one of their shots is near mine. 

I get to play more than my buddies, so when we play together, we ride- unless it's at the local 9 holer. I walk- they seem to have an aversion to wearing out their shoes... And they tend to be a bit wilder, so they will usually be near each other well on the right side, so riding is a better bet for them.

As an outsider to most of the groups, I don't usually have any problems with the groups I pair up with. BUT- every so often, They'll be a three that have no interest in interacting or will forget that I am there. They get so wrapped up in their own little world, I will be teeing off last (since they zip to the next tee and jump on), and while I'm putting my tee in, they're taking off after their drives. 

I can see how if it’s a regular group you’re used to playing with that being the sole walker is a change. But chatting at the tee and on the green is pretty good too. Plus this gives you more time to think about your next shot and keeps your body warmed up. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I enjoy the walk, everyone I play with walks. In my area its mostly flat anyways. Walking , in my  opinion, allows for more chit chat and BS'ing. I feel rushed in a cart, like in a tournament, hurry up and get to the ball.  It seems from a loose observation, that its just the younger people riding, say 25-35ish. Most all of the older guys walk and then the young kids. There's a foursome of 13 year old's that play almost every night that walk of course. Glad to see them on the course and not in front of a computer.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

The group I've been playing with all walks with one exception. A fella with some knee issues rides, but makes the effort to match our pace. We make good time and enjoy each other's company.

Sady, family circumstances are going to force me to move back south into the Dayton area. So a lot fewer rounds on my very walkable course and all the others will be on the unwalkable kind they got down there. Maybe just a lot fewer rounds in general.

5 hours ago, RayG said:

As an outsider to most of the groups, I don't usually have any problems with the groups I pair up with. BUT- every so often, They'll be a three that have no interest in interacting or will forget that I am there. They get so wrapped up in their own little world, I will be teeing off last (since they zip to the next tee and jump on), and while I'm putting my tee in, they're taking off after their drives. 

Those just rushing ahead are inconsiderate, plain & simple.  

3 hours ago, snapfade said:

I enjoy the walk, everyone I play with walks. In my area its mostly flat anyways. Walking , in my  opinion, allows for more chit chat and BS'ing. I feel rushed in a cart, like in a tournament, hurry up and get to the ball.  It seems from a loose observation, that its just the younger people riding, say 25-35ish. Most all of the older guys walk and then the young kids. There's a foursome of 13 year old's that play almost every night that walk of course. Glad to see them on the course and not in front of a computer.

I feel more rushed when I am the only walker, as a rider I feel less rushed since I am usually at my ball quickly and end up waiting on the group ahead.  When I walk I do like it most when there is at least one other walker because then we help pace each other and also can walk much of the hole together.

I see riders v drivers a little differnt from you.  I see a lot of younger golfers walking, likly because it saves them a few dollars, and more older players walking due to the "Joys" (aka Aches & Pains) of getting old.  

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

5 hours ago, RayG said:

and while I'm putting my tee in, they're taking off after their drives. 

They're taking off before you've hit???

Colin P.

I still walk, but my brother rides now so when we get together I pay for 1/2 cart and we ride together.

It's just a good time to hang out and talk about guy stuff.

I always walk.  I don't understand the lazy fat bodies who take carts and drive around in circles looking for their ball.  Using a golf cart slows the game down, no question.  

When I'm walking and others are taking golf carts, I find that I always get to my ball first and that I'm always the first person on the green.   Most of the people who take golf carts are probably lazy in everything else they do and generally out of shape.  

If it were up to me there would be no golf carts and no golf cart paths.   If you have a handicap that prevents you from walking then take up lawn jarts.  

• Booooooooo 1

1 hour ago, famousdavis said:

I always walk.  I don't understand the lazy fat bodies who take carts and drive around in circles looking for their ball.  Using a golf cart slows the game down, no question.  

When I'm walking and others are taking golf carts, I find that I always get to my ball first and that I'm always the first person on the green.   Most of the people who take golf carts are probably lazy in everything else they do and generally out of shape.  

If it were up to me there would be no golf carts and no golf cart paths.   If you have a handicap that prevents you from walking then take up lawn jarts.  

Tell them how you really feel. 

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

I'm in great shape for my age so I have no problem walking 18 or even 36 if it isn't too hot out.  I often get looks by the cart babe, checking me out.   Unfortunately for her I don't date the help.  I just go out, walk 18 and shoot a smooth 73 or 72.  I walk into the snack shack and my BLT is ready for me.  That's just the way I roll.  

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, famousdavis said:

I think this is a little too much of a generalization and I do not agree with all of your points.

1) Not all who ride a cart are “lazy fat bodies”.  Some have medical issues you have no clue about.  I know many in good shape that ride just to be with the companion who rides or maybe they just do not want to be sweaty at dinner after.  Myself, I have a ruptured tendon and without a cart my golf season would be destroyed.  Please do not generalize.

2) using a cart properly will not slow down a round.  It should speed it up.  I will concede there are golfers that simply do not know how to use a cart.  Assuming you watch your ball and do not sit at 1 ball waiting for your companion to hit before driving to the next one 5 yards away it should get you to the ball quicker.  The cart is not the problem, it is the golfer that slows things down.

3) I hope you never have an injury or disability and never learn how bad your opinion is on that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

32 minutes ago, StuM said:

I think this is a little too much of a generalization and I do not agree with all of your points.

1) Not all who ride a cart are “lazy fat bodies”.  Some have medical issues you have no clue about.  I know many in good shape that ride just to be with the companion who rides or maybe they just do not want to be sweaty at dinner after.  Myself, I have a ruptured tendon and without a cart my golf season would be destroyed.  Please do not generalize.   

Walk it off

2) using a cart properly will not slow down a round.  It should speed it up.  I will concede there are golfers that simply do not know how to use a cart.  Assuming you watch your ball and do not sit at 1 ball waiting for your companion to hit before driving to the next one 5 yards away it should get you to the ball quicker.  The cart is not the problem, it is the golfer that slows things down.

It's the cart and the cart rider that are the problem.  Both need to go. 

3) I hope you never have an injury or disability and never learn how bad your opinion is on that point.

I hope you start walking and stop being part of the problem with laziness in our society.  Time to step it up.  

23 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

Walk it off

I hope you start walking and stop being part of the problem with laziness in our society.  Time to step it up.  

You can have your opinion

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, famousdavis said:

Walk it off

I suggest you back off a bit. Golf needs to be accessible to continue to grow. I walk almost always but your position is pretty dismissive. Teaching cart etiquette is a better option.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Countdown clock has started.