IGNORED

2023 FedEx Cup Playoffs

jxdama

(edited)
45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Not sure about  your obsessive dislike for LCP as it’s quite rare really. Regardless, your statement didn’t address anything. I wasn’t referring to courses that were muddy, sloppy. The simple point is having to hit a ball covered in mud is not a skill. It adds to the randomness which is unfavorable in a competition. 
I’d much rather watch two pros compete from an approach shot from 190yds based on their ball striking skill …not who got luckier.

Randomness  happens all the time. Its  up the  player to overcome  it. One  player hits shit shot  in calm conditions and the  next  guy gets hit with a wind gust. One guy hits a duck hook out  of  bounds and the  next  guy duck hooks  it out  of  bounds but low and   behold  it  hits a tree and  bounces  into the fairway.

Edited by jxdama

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, jxdama said:

Thats a real playoff with real pressure. I  know the  pampered  players wouldnt  like it because its direct  one  on one competition.

No, it's a lot easier for a fluke winner to win a match than it is for him to win over 72 holes. Once again, your facts and understanding of the entire situation are off-base. They don't like stroke play because it's "pampered" - they like it because they feel it's the fairest way to determine a champion after a season of 72-hole stroke-play events.

It'd arguably be more "pampered" for half the field to play only 18 (or fewer) holes, and half of those remaining to play 36 or fewer holes, and half of those remaining to play only 54 or fewer holes…

In my world you  have to go out  out  in a  pressure situation and  beat  your  opponent to advance.

You… still have to do that in 72-hole stroke play events.

There  is a simple  solution to that. There  is  no lift  clean and  cheat. Replace it with giving the  player the  option of dropping the  ball say within a  3 foot radius  if  he feels the  lie  is  unfair( only  once  dropping  in the fairway has  been declared). Clean the  ball if you want then drop it. That  first drop counts no matter  if the  ball ends  up an inch closer to the hole. If the  ball ends  up in a worse  place that  the  chance you take  by dropping. No placing, no tee-ups.

Excuse Me What GIF by BounceJeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

57 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Randomness  happens all the time.

And yet, for this particular thing, you can make a simple thing to NOT have it be so random. Players like it, spectators like reductions in randomness… win-win. If you want high randomness, go watch Plinko tournaments or something.

One  player hits shit shot  in calm conditions and the  next  guy gets hit with a wind gust.

You can't legislate that. You can minimize the effects of mud balls through rules.

One guy hits a duck hook out  of  bounds and the  next  guy duck hooks  it out  of  bounds but low and   behold  it  hits a tree and  bounces  into the fairway.

You can't legislate that. You can minimize the effects of mud balls through rules.

Get a new schtick.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Narrator: jxdama would not, in fact, get a new schtick.

• Funny 4

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

7 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Narrator: jxdama would not, in fact, get a new schtick.

In Morgan Freeman’s voice!
morgan freeman GIF

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, iacas said:

No, it's a lot easier for a fluke winner to win a match than it is for him to win over 72 holes. Once again, your facts and understanding of the entire situation are off-base. They don't like stroke play because it's "pampered" - they like it because they feel it's the fairest way to determine a champion after a season of 72-hole stroke-play events.

It'd arguably be more "pampered" for half the field to play only 18 (or fewer) holes, and half of those remaining to play 36 or fewer holes, and half of those remaining to play only 54 or fewer holes…

You… still have to do that in 72-hole stroke play events.

Excuse Me What GIF by BounceJeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

And yet, for this particular thing, you can make a simple thing to NOT have it be so random. Players like it, spectators like reductions in randomness… win-win. If you want high randomness, go watch Plinko tournaments or something.

Get a new schtick.

Yes, and the rule should  be  lift  clean and drop, not  lift  clean and cheat

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jxdama said:

Yes, and the rule should  be  lift  clean and drop, not  lift  clean and cheat

So, screw the rules of golf, where the difference between placing and dropping carries throughout many of the rules… because you think one of the best players in the world is getting an advantage being able to "prop" their ball up an extra sixteenth of an inch? And if they dropped and the ball plugged or got mud on it, then… what purpose would that serve? And you want them to play the drop even if it's closer to the hole than their ball was originally?

Dude, enough. Seriously. This whole act (I'm choosing to believe it's a bit and not how you truly actually feel) is just so mind-numbingly stupid. You don't get the basic facts right, and it's not even funny.

You could step on a Tour player's ball a little and they'd still kick your ass. My recommendation: stop watching the PGA Tour. You think they're all "pampered" anyway. Go watch real golf… which I highly doubt you play, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, I'm thinking that @jxdama just might be Patrick Reed. He comes on here disguised as a regular Joe and complains about lift, clean and cheat or whatever as a way to clear his conscience of his past transgressions.  Stranger things have happened. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

5 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Ok, I'm thinking that @jxdama just might be Patrick Reed. He comes on here disguised as a regular Joe and complains about lift, clean and cheat or whatever as a way to clear his conscience of his past transgressions.  Stranger things have happened. 

Pga Tour Golf GIF by Travelers Championship

• Funny 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If it was lift, clean and drop, they would do like they do with dropping now and try to drop in a manner which propels the ball closer to the hole a few times and then they have to place it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just my 2 cents....I think we've beaten the "Lift, Clean & Place" vs. "Lift, Clean & Cheat" horse to death. Can we move on?

Or at least move it to its own thread and get it out of the FedEx Cup Payoff discussion?

Edited by StuM
Added the last "question"
  • Thumbs Up 4

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, StuM said:

Just my 2 cents....I think we've beaten the "Lift, Clean & Place" vs. "Lift, Clean & Cheat" horse to death. Can we move on?

Or at least move it to its own thread and get it out of the FedEx Cup Payoff discussion?

I purpose we change the rule to "lift, clean and kick"

Tour Championship winner goes to.....anyone starting at -4 or better I think has a reasonable chance to win. The armchair Chamblee's might disagree, but bottom line is Tommy Fleetwood will not win the Tour Championship. Hopefully they don't utilize the lift, clean and cheat rule. Sorry, I had to do it, its the law. 

Edited by snapfade

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Zeph said:

If it was lift, clean and drop, they would do like they do with dropping now and try to drop in a manner which propels the ball closer to the hole a few times and then they have to place it.

@jxdama has said that he's okay with that. Which is stupid.

6 hours ago, StuM said:

Yes. By rule, now. No more. This is the topic for the playoffs, not @jxdama's tired old un-funny bit/schtick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I’ve watched the FedEx in years past but watching a little closer this year.  Here is a question.  How far back from the leader’s -10 is a reasonable chance of claiming the cup?

Ie.: Rickie is starting 7 back.  Naturally Scheffler could stumble & Rickie could pass him but to win he would need to pass not just Scottie but a lot of other capable players and the odds of all of them stumbling is slim.  Does Rickie at -3 have a realistic chance?

How far back is too far back?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, StuM said:

Ok, I’ve watched the FedEx in years past but watching a little closer this year.  Here is a question.  How far back from the leader’s -10 is a reasonable chance of claiming the cup?

Ie.: Rickie is starting 7 back.  Naturally Scheffler could stumble & Rickie could pass him but to win he would need to pass not just Scottie but a lot of other capable players and the odds of all of them stumbling is slim.  Does Rickie at -3 have a realistic chance?

How far back is too far back?

I just realized Sheffler is 27 years old. I’ve always thought he was 40+.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On 8/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, snapfade said:

No, im Tige, never  mind. Match play would  make this so much better. They must  have  picked the  3 easiest  kiddie  courses they could find  for this  joke. Playoffs should  be harder than the reg season and force  players to make  difficult  shots.

1 hour ago, jxdama said:

They must  have  picked the  3 easiest  kiddie  courses they could find  for this  joke. Playoffs should  be harder than the reg season and force  players to make  difficult  shots.

It could also just be that PGA Tour players are really, really, really good. I am pretty sure I would struggle to break 100 at any of the Fedex Cup Playoff courses.

Sure there were a few low scores, but #1 player was +1, so how easy could it be?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Hoping Rory is ok tbh but im wanting Fitzpatrick to take this. Hes not had an amazing year but hes quickly becoming one of my favorites. 

I know most dont seem keen on the starting offset but considering Rory and Scottie didnt have a great round one I think it could make for an interesting weekend.

Not going to comment on easy/hard i could have a tube straight to the hole and still shoot +50

Mike in Scotland - Discovering golf one divot at a time

(Swing Thread)