IGNORED

2023 Shriners Children's Open

StuM

I did not know until just now that Lexi Thompson is playing in the Shriner PGA Tour event today.  Currently she is showing T83 and is 2 over the projected cut line.  I would like to see her make the cut.  I doubt she has the distance to challenge any of the top positions but I think it would be good for the LPGA if she could at least make the cut.  It would show how much talent is on the LPGA.  

Here's what several PGA Tour players have said about the 11-time LPGA winner teeing it up this week with the men.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another birdie! Projected to be the second woman ever to make the cut on the PGA Tour, and the first since 1945 (Babe Didrikson Zaharias).

image.png

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

• Administrator
2 hours ago, StuM said:

I doubt she has the distance to challenge any of the top positions but I think it would be good for the LPGA if she could at least make the cut.  It would show how much talent is on the LPGA.

It's a firm course and she averaged over 300 yards in her first round.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Damn... Even par for the tourney, 2-under 69 today. One off the projected cut line as of this writing though it looks like it'll be 2-under. What an effort. That strokes gained approach is pretty incredible. 

Constantine

Impressive. She can hold her head high. 

Edited by MSDOGS1976

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

7 hours ago, iacas said:

It's a firm course and she averaged over 300 yards in her first round.

Yes, averaged over 300 but that was only enough for 114th in distance.  Still, she played well, maybe she makes the cut in a future tournament.

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 over and then 2 under.  Not bad at all.  Given the number of birdies she played, inconsistency hurt her more than anything, something seen in her recent play in the Solheim cup and LPGA.  Impressed with her length where she was averaging 300 yards off the tee.  But overall I get the impression she was focusing too much on length and competing with the men, rather than ignoring that and playing to her strengths.  If she had she might have been able to reduce the errors and actually make the cut

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Meh. I don’t think it really does anything for the LPGA. They’re talented golfers and most people don’t argue that reasonably. It’s only when people, Rankin and  Inkster for example, try to equate them with the men that feathers get unnecessarily ruffled. They have their league and it’s appropriately fitting for them. Enjoy it or not, but just leave it be.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Lexi Thompson's performance at the Shriner's Children's Open certainly made headlines. She became only the second woman to record a sub-70 round in a PGA Tour event when she carded a 2-under 69. Although she missed the cut by two shots, her performance was remarkable and inspiring.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, Vinsk said:

Meh. I don’t think it really does anything for the LPGA. They’re talented golfers and most people don’t argue that reasonably. It’s only when people, Rankin and  Inkster for example, try to equate them with the men that feathers get unnecessarily ruffled. They have their league and it’s appropriately fitting for them. Enjoy it or not, but just leave it be.

I'm not thinking changes need to be made to the LPGA just that maybe Lexi's performance on the PGA Tour may get more viewers/spectators to watch/follow the LGPA.  

Stuart M.

Im sort of half and half on Lexi being in the comp. I liked the fact she was there and gave it a bloody good go BUUUUUUUT she also kept another male pro out of the competition who otherwise would have been there if not for her.

Probably a touchy subject but the ladies have their tour and the men have there's and that is probably how it should be.

Other than that I would LOVE to see the LPGA and PGA have mixed comps through the year!

Mailman

2 hours ago, mailman said:

BUUUUUUUT she also kept another male pro out of the competition who otherwise would have been there if not for her.

If you're going to direct scorn for that, the 2 players who played the first round and withdrew are probably better candidates.

Also, just generally, the field here is not great, and I don't really care that Lexi got in over the 300 ranked player in the world, especially when Lexi beat around 50 male pros. Lexi as a sponsor's exemption did her job, too. She drove eyeballs, hype, and probably some ticket sales, too.

Without looking it up, do you know the other unlimited sponsor's exemptions?

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I enjoyed seeing Lexi Thompson play on the same level as the men and doing really well. She didn’t embarrass herself, and if anything showed that men and women could compete on equal footing. Hopefully this raises awareness of golf for everyone, and also dispels the myth that men are better golfers.  I’ve met a handful of guys who think they could beat LPGA players. Doubtful. 

As to the women have their own Association, I think it would be great if they invited a PGA player to play in a women’s tournament. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

dispels the myth that men are better golfers

In average men are better than woman in golf (or every sport that having a better physic is an advantage) . Is just a fact of biology, is dilutional to think otherwise.
But as you said, there are man that think that they can beat an LPGA player just because they are woman. LPGA players are really good golfers in general that can beat 99.9% of man that play golf. 
Only guys on the PGA or other elite tours can beat them.      

3 hours ago, ChiTown said:

Hopefully this raises awareness of golf for everyone, and also dispels the myth that men are better golfers.

As I said, nobody reasonably argues that LPGA players aren’t amazingly talented. However, this does nothing to dispel the fact that the men are better. And I’m talking about pro to pro. She missed the cut on a very weak field of male pros. Lexi would struggle greatly to even keep her card if she played regularly on the PGA TOUR. That’s not a derogatory statement. Just like Erik or Mike, and many others on this site could beat me if they played the back tees with a store bought box set of beginner clubs. It’s not derogatory or demeaning, it’s just fact.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, mailman said:

BUUUUUUUT she also kept another male pro out of the competition who otherwise would have been there if not for her.

BUUUUUUUUT having her in the tournament without a doubt brought more eyeballs to the event than the guy's spot she allegedly took. And at the end of the day the sponsor wants as many eyeballs on the tournament as possible so it seems perfectly logical to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV