IGNORED

Table Tennis (Ping Pong, the Sport Version)

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I was a senior in high school, we were allowed to leave in the middle of the day when he had free periods. A few friends who lived nearby the school had ping pong tables, so we used to go there and play. We all ended up getting pretty good. I'm was one of the worst, but I almost won this ping pong tournament I played when I was a freshman in college. (The guy who beat be brought ping pong-specific shoes, so I wasn't hugely upset that I lost.) I hadn't played for a few years until last summer when me and some friends got back into it again. Some of it came back quickly, some took a while.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use to play competitively in our local area.   In college, I thought I was pretty good until I won a tournament at University of Michigan and won a free trip to Cincinnati.   In that tournament, I found I didn't know anything about table tennis.   I gave up the game for many years until about 5 years ago.  The local chapter plays on Tuesday nights via a round robin and several previous state champions choose to play.  The games are competitive and fast paced.    I use to have the opportunity to play at work but the new managers frown on it now so the table sits in a dark room.

One of the local coaches is a former US Olympic coach (1996).  There is usually a USTT approved tournament each month where players can compete against nationally rated competitors.

I enjoy it but don't play enough any more to be competitive.   My USTT rating was 1500 + but that isn't current.

I'm still trying to figure out how my table tennis skills can relate to my golf swing.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I think I'm going to try to get into this a little bit. @david_wedzik and I bought some mid-level (or lower-mid-level) paddles recently and a few more competitive types have joined and play on our downstairs table at Golf Evolution.

http://www.eriettc.com is a few miles from my house and plays Thursday and Saturday evenings. I might check it out tomorrow.

What paddles did you end up with?  My current one is nothing special.... a Butterfly that ran around $80 the with zipper case from Dick's a few years ago.  It's at work cuz we have a table there. I'll find out the exact model Monday.  Just curious as to what spin/hardness you prefer and what's considered lower- mid level these days  :)

• Administrator
What paddles did you end up with?  My current one is nothing special.... a Butterfly that ran around $80 the with zipper case from Dick's a few years ago.  It's at work cuz we have a table there. I'll find out the exact model Monday.  Just curious as to what spin/hardness you prefer and what's considered lower- mid level these days  :)

I have no idea what I prefer. We got an ALL blade (a Tibhar Texo ALL) with 999 Elite 1.8 on both sides. Should be kind of a mid-level, all-around type thing.

Played a bit yesterday. Was incredible how much I have to turn down the blade in order to not sail a topspin over the end of the table. Other cheapo paddles we had been using are clearly not as grippy.

I wish I could find some instruction but it may not be easy.

I didn't end up going last night to the Erie TTC thing. Was feeling lazy. I'll go when I know someone else who is going soon, and maybe join the January-March league.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love table tennis, great way to work up a sweat too! I got my own table two years ago, and my brother father and I have played for years! Whenever we go on holiday we always enter the hotel comp, my brother always wins, I usually get to the semi's. Last time I was playing an 11 yr old kid and I was going easy on him and encouraging him, I made sure he scored a bunch of points before turning on the heat, but I had to beat him to reach my brother in the semi's. Well he burst into tears and ran to a sun lounger and covered himself with a towel, he was inconsolable! If I'd known he'd take it so badly I would have let him win...... Maybe!

Gaz Lee

I have no idea what I prefer. We got an ALL blade (a Tibhar Texo ALL) with 999 Elite 1.8 on both sides. Should be kind of a mid-level, all-around type thing.

Played a bit yesterday. Was incredible how much I have to turn down the blade in order to not sail a topspin over the end of the table. Other cheapo paddles we had been using are clearly not as grippy.

I wish I could find some instruction but it may not be easy.

I didn't end up going last night to the Erie TTC thing. Was feeling lazy. I'll go when I know someone else who is going soon, and maybe join the January-March league.

Yep, anything with a pad is way different than playing with the paddles that come in the generic sets.  One thing, I prefer to play on pool table tops instead of stand-alone tables even though they should only be about an inch or two higher, that's what I grew up with and used to.  Doesn't sound like a big difference, but every time I play on a regular table, it just feels too low.  The other, I've never been a "smasher" one of those who just loads up and tries to slam every forehand they can.  Probably 80% of my returns are backhand....  It's way easier imo to deaden and return a smash backhand and you can go at either side of the table with top/back/side spin.  More of a finesse and serve & volley game for me, but it's what works.  We have some pretty decent players at work and it can get pretty competitive.  I can at least hold my own that way.

• Administrator

Yep, anything with a pad is way different than playing with the paddles that come in the generic sets.

Our paddles are some decent Stiga ones. We didn't just keep the ones that came with the set. Got some good Butterfly balls, too. They just weren't super grippy rubber after three years. I'm not sure they were every very sticky, though.

One thing, I prefer to play on pool table tops instead of stand-alone tables even though they should only be about an inch or two higher, that's what I grew up with and used to.  Doesn't sound like a big difference, but every time I play on a regular table, it just feels too low.  The other, I've never been a "smasher" one of those who just loads up and tries to slam every forehand they can.  Probably 80% of my returns are backhand....  It's way easier imo to deaden and return a smash backhand and you can go at either side of the table with top/back/side spin.  More of a finesse and serve & volley game for me, but it's what works.  We have some pretty decent players at work and it can get pretty competitive.  I can at least hold my own that way.

Do you get into a league at all? I see ratings in TT go from about the 800s (beginners) to 2800-3000 for the best. It looks like 1400-1500 is typical recreational player (but serious recreation, not basement style).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Our paddles are some decent Stiga ones. We didn't just keep the ones that came with the set. Got some good Butterfly balls, too. They just weren't super grippy rubber after three years. I'm not sure they were every very sticky, though.

Do you get into a league at all? I see ratings in TT go from about the 800s (beginners) to 2800-3000 for the best. It looks like 1400-1500 is typical recreational player (but serious recreation, not basement style).

Nope, never even thought about getting into a league until you just mentioned it.  Might have to look into that.  Funny thing is, I never really struggled playing against anyone until this job.  We have two or so tournaments each year that anyone can sign up for and you win a silly trophy and random restaurant gc or something... not really high stakes.  There's about 6 or so of us that typically just beat each other up in the tourneys and in side games... a few Asian and Indian guys (no racist) and a couple that played high level baseball.  Depends on the draw but we usually end up knocking each other off and being done in the early rounds of the tourneys and other people with no coordination make it through on the other side of the bracket.  That's what makes it fun though.

I have a top that goes on top of my pool table. It seems a shame to cover a $5k pool table with a $200 table tennis top, so usually the top (in two parts) sits against a wall.

Same here.  The top goes up on the pool table when I host a large family dinner (Thanksgiving, e.g).

I get a good work out when I used to play TT.   I am one of those who moves around quite a bit, playing sometimes 10 feet off table to return shots.   Not good on my knees.   Just focusing one sports (golf) now.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Nice. I've had a chance to practice with something like this.   It doesn't take long to open your eyes to your level of play and conditioning.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Outstanding!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That is pretty neat.  I am not sure of the cost, but it seems like a must have for somebody serious about playing.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator

That is pretty neat.  I am not sure of the cost, but it seems like a must have for somebody serious about playing.

$1299 to $1999. Minus any 5% discounts for the holidays. :)

• Administrator
Is this something you are going to put in the man cave?

Not here (my house), but downtown (in a hidden room) at Golf Evolution.

Picked up:

Not here (my house), but downtown (in a hidden room) at Golf Evolution.

Picked up:

Nittaku 3-star Premium 40mm - BULK PACK 10 dozen (shipped)

Butterfly Amicus Professional (ships in late February)

JOOLA Tour 2500 (ships in a few days)

Free t-shirt too! Nice score! :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Free t-shirt too! Nice score!

Huh?

Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!