IGNORED

Shut up shut up shutupshutupshutup!

Sherpat
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rant of the day!

I'm with the group suggesting that, in the future, you decline, saying you prefer to work on it on your own, and you'll seek advice when you want it. I have friends tell me after a bad shot to work on my release/takeaway/etc on the next swing. Umm... Tiger can't fix his faults on the course. Why should I be able to?

Anyway, yeah, you found the quack who offered free advice that wasn't worth what you paid. Glad he didn't send you a bill.

My first set of lessons were group lessons at school. Two of my friends from that and I went to play a par-3 course. We got paired with someone who, from my first practice swing, told me what I was doing wrong (i.e., it didn't look like Tiger's swing, which this short, overweight guy was so obviously capable of). So my buddies distracted him, I hit my shot to the green (it was a PW shot), then my buddy sets up for his practice swing, gets interrupted, so we distract the guy, my buddy hits, and repeat for other buddy. He gets up, we're silent, he tops it. Mulligan, tops that. Mulligan, bad slice.

As to how to ditch the partner, after you said OK, I can't really think of a polite way to do it. Maybe you could say it contradicts the lessons from well-regarded academy and you'd like to focus on that, and when you've got that down and need more help, you can go for it.

If he goes to the "Well, I can tell you what you're doing wrong," you need to counter with Bill Engval's retort: "Yeah, I'm playing with you!" Not polite, but gets the point across.

And don't be mad for your next shot. Just feel sorry for him and his golf confusion, and go on.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rant of the day!

Actually, he's one of the best at that.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Actually, he's one of the best at that.

Sorry. I've been making a ton of mis-speaks here lately. I should have said that Tiger can't make a swing change on the course, not that he can't fix his faults. Thanks for pointing this out.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Any of you guys/gals had similar experiences? Got tips about how to ditch an undesirable partner without seeming like an ungrateful prick? I really don't want to go through a round like that ever again....

Hehehe, great rant!

On the practice putting green. Total stranger, no clue who he was, just minding my own biz..... Him: Ya know, I have a David Ledbetter's DVD that has great tips for putting. For instance, for what you're doing.... Me interrupting: I'm currently taking lessons from the head pro here. Him: But its David Ledbetter... Me interrupting again: Well then, I hope you do well. Being a woman I get alot of advice offered when I'm on the course from total strangers. I just tell them, "yep I'm already taking lessons from the head pro here", and that always shuts them up.

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

• Administrator
Don't worry. No normal jury would have convicted you of double manslaughter. You'd have gotten off on either "justifiable homicide" or "self defense."

BTW, Sherpat, if you don't already have a Scorecard license, email me your name and I'll send a free one to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Being a woman I get alot of advice offered when I'm on the course from total strangers. I just tell them, "yep I'm already taking lessons from the head pro here", and that always shuts them up.

That has to be very, very annoying, having to deal with hackers assuming they know more than you and taking it upon themselves to instruct you everytime you hit the course or range. I'm sure Lorena Ochoa could show up at a muny and get the same treatment.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Good read.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that sh*t, because normally Black bear is the most enjoyable course around, although I kind of prefer Great Gorge.

What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

That has to be very, very annoying, having to deal with hackers assuming they know more than you and taking it upon themselves to instruct you everytime you hit the course or range. I'm sure Lorena Ochoa could show up at a muny and get the same treatment.

yep, its annoying but I just smile tell them politely and they leave me alone.

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

that is the longest post i have ever seen. i would've been writing that for an hour. and yes it does annoy the sh!t out of me when people give you advice when they are playing worse than you

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Great posting. I so do NOT want to be the advice guy, ever. Not that I should be given my skill, but my regular partner tees off all the time with a 3 wood, and a ball teed WAY too high. He occasionally makes solid contact, but usually pops it up about 90-110 yards, can't figure out why he did it, then proceeds to do the same thing the next hole. Even I can figure out he needs to tee it lower to start with, but I will NOT give unsolicited advice.

Ever.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Great posting. I so do NOT want to be the advice guy, ever. Not that I should be given my skill, but my regular partner tees off all the time with a 3 wood, and a ball teed WAY too high. He occasionally makes solid contact, but usually pops it up about 90-110 yards, can't figure out why he did it, then proceeds to do the same thing the next hole. Even

I will give advice if asked, but it's usually course management when I'm asked. A buddy of mine consistently underclubs and tries hero shots. I told him a few weeks ago that if he wants, I can caddy for him (give him lines and clubs to hit) to help him break 100 for the first time (he's yet to break 110, but I feel he has the shots to do it if he's smart about it).

-- Michael | My swing! 

I will give advice if asked, but it's usually course management when I'm asked. A buddy of mine consistently underclubs and tries hero shots. I told him a few weeks ago that if he wants, I can caddy for him (give him lines and clubs to hit) to help him break 100 for the first time (he's yet to break 110, but I feel he has the shots to do it if he's smart about it).

I've read a lot of your posts on course management. If I lived in Southern Cal. I'd pay you to caddy for me lol.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I've read a lot of your posts on course management. If I lived in Southern Cal. I'd pay you to caddy for me lol.

Thank you; I appreciate it. My entire goal in this would be to get him to the point where he can compete with me (with a handicap). And really, course management is about all the on-course advice that would really be useful. Unlike the OP's companions who tried to change his swing and have him thinking of swing mechanics off the practice tee.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...
There are a lot of golfers that think they have the answer to your problem - whatever it may be. if you haven't asked for advice just tell em you took a lesson and are working on whatever the pro told you about. I rarely give advice to anyone even friends because there are so many "tips" and just as many giving them that what they say probably won't fit you. There are a lot of different swings so don't let them get you down or make you feel inadequate in your abilities. Enjoy what you're attempting to do.

Great story man, but it's only one night of playing. Just be thankful that either or both those guys didn't try to set up another time to play or something.

I have a friend who is exactly like that. We have never played golf together, but whatever we are talking about or whatever we are working on, it's like he is just waiting for you to make one small mistake or error so he can correct you. It drives me up a wall, but he's still a good guy.

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!