IGNORED

Tiger's World Ranking?

BSweet
Note:Β This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Those are European Tour events which don't generate good (by good I mean high ranking players) fields like the PGA Tour does, which is why Europen victories are not worth as much in boosting up the world rankings. The top-12 in every major in '07 was very impressive, but this is '08.

NFL, MLB,NBA, NHL 4 major domestic sporting organisations! how you can describe them as THE 4 major sports organisations just demonstrates your polarised view of the world - premiership in england - not to mention leagues in other spain, italy, germany, south america etc super 14 in australasia formula 1 (european organisation) etc i think fifa uefa sumo in japan table tennis china etc etc etc how do they compare? the difference is you seem to think we care about your domestic competitions, - I think you may be surprised how little 95% of the worlds population cares! ever been abroad? thank you for emphasising my point. yes top 12 in all 4 majors and they way the rankings work those points still count - but congratulations on identifying the year correctly - why not suggest a better system i think the current rankings accurately reflect players' abilities. i suppose you reckon mcdonalds is the world greatest restaurant

Originaly posted by BSweet America may not be "the world" but it definitely is the sporting world in my eyes. It is home of the four major sport organizations (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) and home of the PGA Tour which is the top golf tour, along with many other major sporting organizations.

You cant say that the USA is the sporting world because of the NFL and the NHL because american football is only played in america and hockey is only played in a handful of countries. Baseball is also a sport that is only really popular in the US.

There are plenty of other countries that have their own major sport organisations such as the AFL( Australian Football League) in Australian and the only reason you have not heard of major organisations like this is beacause Americans don't play the same sports. The sports that are popular in America are not necessarily the sports that are popular in the rest of the world. I don't even like any of the four sports that you just mentioned. Saying what you just did just backs up what extremeld said about Americans thinking the the US is the world.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5ΒΊ
3-wood 906F4 15.5ΒΊ
hybrid rescue mid 19ΒΊirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54ΒΊ and 60ΒΊputter tracy IIball Pro V1

I wouldn't count on it

Your signature pretty much says what I think: In nine months, Tiger will still be far ahead.

1 Tiger Woods 40 21.54 2 Phil Mickelson 44 10.21 ... 998 Lin Wen-Hong 40 .04 The gap from 1 to 2 is bigger than the gap from 2 to the last guy on the planet receiving points for world golf ranking.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

• Administrator
Okay. Maybe it's not rigged.

It's not.

However when you get past these two it seems like the spots between 3-1415 is just a huge jam. I mean the numbers are so close that a single mistake on the calculator could be the difference between playing in the Masters and watching it home on T.V.

I'm fairly confident they don't make those mistakes. They're not exactly computed by hand...

Those are European Tour events which don't generate good (by good I mean high ranking players) fields like the PGA Tour does, which is why Europen victories are not worth as much in boosting up the world rankings. The top-12 in every major in '07 was very impressive, but this is '08.

Uhm, why should someone earn a lot of points for placing highly (or winning) an event with a lame field? If that were the case, some guy from the Nationwide Tour might crack the top five in the world.

You still don't quite seem to understand how it works, or if you do, you've certainly not proposed a possible alternative. All you continue to say is that the current system "stinks" (or is unfair, or is biased, or whatever).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah the Justin Rose thing has perplexed me a little since lately he really hasn't played all that well and yet he still stays up there. A little the same wth stricker with his run of missed cuts (although before then he had good placings). Ha it's funy to see that Rocco mediate is now ranked 47.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19Β° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
yeah the Justin Rose thing has perplexed me a little since lately he really hasn't played all that well and yet he still stays up there. A little the same wth stricker with his run of missed cuts (although before then he had good placings). Ha it's funy to see that Rocco mediate is now ranked 47.

Yeah, that darn Steve Stricker, winning a FedEx Cup playoff with many of the top golfers in the world playing, and the Comeback Player of the Year (x2)!

Justin also had a pretty good year last year. Just as two bad rounds does not make you a bad golfer, two bad months doesn't make Justin Rose or whomever else a bad golfer. They're sliding, though, so they're getting what they deserve.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Phil would pretty much have to win every event this year, and at least challenge tiger when he comes back to even come close to taking over #1. Tiger is so much better then everybody else is, somebody would have to distance themselves from the pack.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I'm trying to not let my fanhood of Tiger cloud my judgment here...

Him missing half the season and staying #1, imo, would be simply a dumb thing to occur. It's just stupid that he could stay #1 without playing.

But on the other hand - he proved no one is better than him - in fact he proved there's no one CLOSE to him right now. He played in a tournament with all the best players in the world and was grouped with the top 2 contenders - and he won it - with a torn ACL and two stress fractures. With that performance, no one is close to him.

So, because he won that tournament in that fashion with that in injury - I do think he should stay #1 through next year when he returns. And it's for the simple fact that anyone who were to take the #1 spot, would KNOW for a fact that he hasn't played better golf than Tiger.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Okay here is my alternative...

I think the point distribution should be something similar to the way they give out fed-ex cup points every week. None of this "average" points BS. That way you pay the price if you take many weeks off like Tiger, and if you play many weeks consistently you are rewarded.

ALSO, depending on how much you miss a cut by you lose points. This will keep players from withdrawing from events after an opening 80.

Here is an example..
Let's say Tiger wins, Vijay comes in 2nd, Phil comes in 3rd, Justin Rose misses a cut.

The World Ranking would look something like this...

Tiger Woods 1000 pts
Vijay Singh 700 pts
Phil Mickelson 400 pts
Justin Rose -100 pts

Points just keep adding up and up throughout the year. No reset like the Fed-ex cup. This is just off the top of my head, but consider it like a blueprint or rough draft.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

The top-12 in every major in '07 was very impressive, but this is '08.

Two of those are still the most recent incarnation of that major.

America may not be "the world" but it definitely is the sporting world in my eyes.

The OWGR isn't for your eyes or just for America. If you want to ask about an OAGR (Official American Golf Ranking), ... I don't know.

It is home of the four major sport organizations (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) and home of the PGA Tour which is the top golf tour, along with many other major sporting organizations.

So, if the top four sports were Cricket, Soccer, Aussie Rules, and Formula 1, should we be giving more points for European Events instead?

Points are based, in part, on the quality and rankings of the field.
I'm not dissing the European Tour. Europe is a good place to go for an easy paycheck.

Oh yeah, Vijay Singh, Ernie Els, Harrington, Poulter, Jimenez, Karlsson, Garcia, Stenson, ... pushovers. Man, if I could just gain ten yards on my driver, I could take them, but if I did take them, I shouldn't expect a big gain in my world ranking for it.

The current system already rewards many weeks of consistently good play.

ALSO, depending on how much you miss a cut by you lose points. This will keep players from withdrawing from events after an opening 80.

So, what happens in January? If we did this this year, Daniel Chopra would've been world #1 for at least a short while.

OWGR's been around for over 20 years.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

• Administrator

Too many flaws to get into here. Tiger doesn't play in January - does that mean he's not the best golfer in the world until late February? No.

OWGR is fine.

Tiger's Ranking is Safe... Let me tell you why...

The World Ranking is Weighted... it is a what have you done for me lately deal...

It is based on the last 104 weeks broken down into 26 week periods with the most recent 26 week period weighing the most...

Some European Tour Events are big money events like the Volvo Masters and The Volvo PGA at Wentworth... that carry a lot of weight over there...

The Four Majors carry the Most weight... If you won a major in either of the two years (any of the last eight) your in good shape... Tiger has a huge lead because hes won four of them ('06 Open Championship, '06 & '07 PGA, '08 U.S. Open)

and that's half of the last 8 majors played, The Players Championship holds a lot of weight but not quite as much as the four majors

Oh and Tiger also won the FedEx Cup last year? That does weigh high as well, just like the European Order Of Merit does...

So in Conclusion, even if we don't see Tiger until the 2009 Tiger Woods Invitational (The Buick Invitational).. Tiger will still have two majors in that two year period... Phil would probably forseeably have to win both majors, and the FedEx Cup to take over number one... Rumor has it... if the Doctors clear him in the six or seven month window he may come back earlier in the schedule.

So Tiger will still be number one when he comes back... if he is healthy out of this he may tie Jack next year...

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Too many flaws to get into here. Tiger doesn't play in January - does that mean he's not the best golfer in the world until late February? No.

It will make Tiger have to play in January. Initially, yes Tiger would not be #1 if he chose not to, but eventually he would gain his #1 spot. Also, like I said, the points would never reset. It would carry over year-to-year. If Tiger gained lets say 10000 points in '09....in '10 he would start the year with 10000 points at the Mercedes (which he doesn't play). It would add up and up and up over the course of his career.

What are the other flaws exactly? It beats the huge traffic jam between 3-1500 in the world.
The World Ranking is Weighted... it is a what have you done for me lately deal...

Justin Rose and Steve Stiicker are proof that it isn't.

Brandon Sweet

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

I think the current system does the job pretty well and there are soo many other systems which people can propose, but they all have their flaws and wouldn't prove to be any better than the current system. I think it also is correct in that tiger is soo far in front of everyone else and he must be special to win a us open with a torn ligament and stress fractures in his leg. thats my 2 cents anyway

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19Β° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

the pga tour gives exemptions to injuries so tiger may benefit from that

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

• Administrator
It will make Tiger have to play in January.

Yeah, right.

Initially, yes Tiger would not be #1 if he chose not to, but eventually he would gain his #1 spot. Also, like I said, the points would never reset. It would carry over year-to-year. If Tiger gained lets say 10000 points in '09....in '10 he would start the year with 10000 points at the Mercedes (which he doesn't play). It would add up and up and up over the course of his career.

Yet another reason why this idea is a bad, bad, bad, bad one. You think it's dumb now - just wait until Tiger is retired for 10 years and is STILL the #1 ranked golfer in the world.

Yet another reason why this idea is a bad, bad, bad, bad one. You think it's dumb now - just wait until Tiger is retired for 10 years and is STILL the #1 ranked golfer in the world.

Once you retire or go inactive for a long period of time on one of the major tours you would be instantly removed from TOWGR. They do this in tennis I think. Some big time tennis star retired and she got removed before the season even ended.

Brandon Sweet

It will make Tiger have to play in January. Initially, yes Tiger would not be #1 if he chose not to, but eventually he would gain his #1 spot. Also, like I said, the points would never reset. It would carry over year-to-year. If Tiger gained lets say 10000 points in '09....in '10 he would start the year with 10000 points at the Mercedes (which he doesn't play). It would add up and up and up over the course of his career.

You want flaw with your system?

Under your system Tiger ranks up X amount of points in your system year after year. Then a few years later some rookie coming onto the PGA tour who is said to be as good, if not better than Tiger starts, lets say 5 years since the inception of your system, with 0 points. In these 5 years, Tiger has won at least 3 events each year, plus all of his top 10s and 25s. So he got say 10,000 points, meanwhile this rookie who, for the sake of making my point clear, IS in fact better than Tiger, wins 5 or 6 events in one year, with Tiger still ranking high, is he then #1 in the world? No, because it takes too long to accumulate points and pass up Tiger. And this would be even worse if its 10, or 15 years later. NO ONE would be able to get number 1 in the world wether Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Adam, or an one has it. It would just take WAY to long to catch up and surpass the #1.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note:Β This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!