IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I say.. who cares.. Why worry about what mid or low or high handicappers are playing.

Exactly. This is really a silly, no, stupid debate.

I work with kids in the First Tee program and the clubs are donated. You don't hear these kids whining about what kind of clubs to swing. If folks spent the time that they spend looking at new equipment (cavity back, muscleback, drivers, etc) and half the money they spend on new equipment on lessons instead, they would make a much more measurable improvement in their games than any club could make.

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

• 2 weeks later...
I have been playing seriously for about a year and ballstriking is my strength.I am lucky that I can pure my 3-iron all day long and was looking at getting a 2 or 1 iron and losing my 3-wood (heck even my driver).

I have a set of Tommy Armour 845s knock-offs and a recent 3-iron breakage (shaft in the hosle) prompted me to investigate new irons.

I impulsively bought a set of mizuno mp-14 irons (forged blades) and have a few rounds under my belt.

With the cavity backs, I felt like the ball smooshed and almost stuck on the face of the club. I have heard people describe it as hitting a marshmallow.

With the mp-14s, when I pure it, i can't actually feel the face strike the ball at all. Is this the "buttery" feeling that people talk about?

I can work a draw or fade with either club, and it almost seems like more "feel" with the cavity backs due to the marshmallow feeling. Am I alone on this?

Also, I seem to have lost yardage with the forged. Is this typical?

My scoring seems similar (most of my strokes are gained chipping, putting or using that big ugly club (nike saquatch) but I wondered if others had similar experiences.

adam

• Administrator
With the cavity backs, I felt like the ball smooshed and almost stuck on the face of the club. I have heard people describe it as hitting a marshmallow.

The "marshmallow" feeling is generally more assigned to the muscleback variety of club, not the cavity back. It's very, very close to the "can't feel it at all" feeling.

Some people lose yardage, yes, particularly if their swing speed isn't higher. Cavity backs tend to get the ball up a bit more quickly and that results in longer distances for slower swing speeds.

Finally, let me say this once and for all: you cannot tell the difference between a forged club and a cast club. The only reason you think you might is because they're available in different form factors - cavity back versus muscleback. If you were to create the same exact club via the two different processes, you wouldn't tell the difference.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some people lose yardage, yes, particularly if their swing speed isn't higher. Cavity backs tend to get the ball up a bit more quickly and that results in longer distances for slower swing speeds.

Thanks. Good point, I should have really said that I lost yardage with the blades. I have a pretty high swingspeed according to vector pro and the bridgestone guys (100-120mph, 115 avg.) FWIW.

I did notice that the lofts are different than my other clubs cavity back 3 iron 21 degrees vs. blade 3 iron 23 degrees.

I'd say otherwise when considering the differences between cast and forged. Truthfully, you can tell the difference in the clubhead just by bouncing a ball on the face or feeling the weight difference. Cast metal is also feels harder and a bit lighter than forged. The differences are extremely subtle when swinging a club and pretty hard to decipher between the two. Think about it, it's a piece of metal on a stick over 3 feet away from your hands, but there is a difference

That'll be due to the MP-14s having more 'traditional' lofts than your 845s.

Mizuno MP-14 (3-PW): 23°, 26°, 29°, 32°, 36°, 40°, 45°, 50° Tommy Armour 845 (3-PW): 20.5°, 23.5°, 27°, 31°, 35°, 39°, 43°, 47° That's a huge difference...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

That IS the feeling, almost like nothing and the results are what you envisioned before you hit the ball. Welcome to the wonderful world of forged blades.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

Got some more holes in today and I will say that it is a little sweeter to hit the blades.

Ultimately I think that I will probably carry 3 and 4 irons (maybe a 2 if I can find one cheap) from the 845s and 5-PW from the MP-14s.

It will be "ugly" in the bag, but pretty to watch the balls go where I aim them.

I am not that mental over my irons that having different clubs will mess with my game I suspect.

Even if you are a good ball striker it is better to play shallow cavity backs like mizuno mp-60s or taylormade r7 tps. They can work the ball like a blade, but are much more forgiving on slight mishits. This is why many tour pros use this style of iron as opposed to muscleback blades. If you hit the sweet spot on a blade it will travel a bit further, but i don't think its worth it.

905R 9.5 degree w/ Graphite Design YS-6+ reg.
906F4 15.5 degree w/ Graphite Design YS-6+ reg.
G10 hybrid 18 degree w/ V2 reg.
MP-30 3-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Vokey Tour Chrome 56* and 60* Yes Callie Forged 34â TP Red Hoofer Vantage Team Bag

• 2 weeks later...
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that forged irons are more consistent on center shots. What do you think?

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

i think forged just feels softer. also i believe you are right because on center shots dont feel like you have hit a ball versus cast which can still be soft, but not as soft as forged. the best irons that i have ever hit are the callaway x protos because they felt like butter and they were somewhat forgiving for a blade. if it wasnt for the 1600 dollar price tag, those are the irons i would be playing

In my Hoofer Vantage

Driver: 907D2 9.5*
Wood: 906F4 15.5* 3 wood
Hybrid: 585H 19*Irons: i10 3-pwWedges: tp black z 52* & 58*Putter: tracy II

Forged, but I'm biased.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that forged irons are more consistent on center shots. What do you think?

So I've heard but I think most people would struggle to notice any difference. For me it's feel. I just switched from Ping S59s which were nice but have gone (back to) some forged blades - Macgregor 1025M - and they're very nice. Hit several flushed long (3 & 4) irons yesterday which were noticeably nicer feel than the S59s hit the same. I also seem to get more spin with the 1025Ms (softer steel gives fractionally more contact time for the ball?) but that could be down to several things.

Bottom line? I'm staying with forged irons from here on in .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Did you try searching the forum? This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. I just did a search for forged vs cast and it came back with 108 threads (including one you started last month).
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

• 2 weeks later...
Go get fit for your irons from a club maker. You will not regret it. Your iron play will improve.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

Note: This thread is 1405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!