IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried my friend's forged iron, and it felt so sweet and pure. But, most forged are very difficult and unforgiving to hit, is there a forgiving forged iron? or is there a cast iron that feels as sweet as forged?

Check out the Mizuno MX-200s or MX-950s, they are forged game improvement irons.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I've also tried the Bridgestone Pocket Cavity irons......forgiving forged irons that look great.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

the MX-950's are cast but check out the MX-200, MX-25, MX-23

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another vote for MP-57's here...

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

the MX-950's are cast but check out the MX-200, MX-25, MX-23

The MX-950 ARE indeed forged. The only cast Mizunos I know of are the MX-17, the MX-19 and the MX-100.

My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I suggest trying the Nike Slingshot irons for any handicap level.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Try the Titleist 755's. They can be had dirt cheap…and they are solid clubs (minus the tri-spec shafts).

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Try the MP-62'. I liked them best of the MP line.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

If you haven't hit mizuno, then you haven't felt an awesome forged club. For your handicap, I would recommend the MX series. The MP 57's are super sweet though.

Bridgestone GC.Mid's. Got mine for $200 on ebay. http://www.golfgearreview.com/article-display/1944.html

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

The AP2's are suppose to be very forgiving

Not as much as you would think. They are definitely more forgiving than blades (obviously) but I would not classify them as game improvement irons. Hit it wrong and you still feel it (and see it-- believe me, I do it too much).

And for the OP, forged irons are not less forgiving because they are forged, it's because "player irons" are forged more often than GI sets. Some prefer the feel of forged vs. cast, but it has nothing to do with forgiveness.

Why does there seem to be this myth/stigma floating around that forged clubs are hard to hit?

I mean, I guess if you took the vast majority of clubs that are forged vs. the majority of clubs that are cast, you could conclude that... but by no means is it the fact that they are forged that makes them harder to hit.

Cast blades would be just as unforgiving as forged blades. I switched from cast (Titleist DCI 990) to forged, and my new forged clubs are actually more forgiving.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Playing forged irons simply sound better, literally.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Question to OP: I can see you game the Honma Beres irons. These are the Japanese sought-after irons right?
Are they forged? And how good are they? Deserve the hype? (There just seems to be a lot of hype for products made in Japan)
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

• 3 weeks later...
What is the difference between Cast irons and Forged irons? I realize that forged irons can be bent easier vs cast and 'supposedly' feel is improved with forged irons. I am looking for an honest to goodness answer! What is the reason some manufactures use fogred vs cast and visa versa? Is feel better? Which lasts longer? I'm expecting Titleist and Mizuno guys to dominate the thread but lets hear from the outnumbered Ping guys too.

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Note: This thread is 1427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!