IGNORED

Golfing for Weight Loss and Improvement

chigolf07
Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I justed joined a club in my area (see sig) and as a beginner I want to incorporate 2 things into my practice, weight loss and, of course, game improvement. As a 25+ handicap, I plan to really work on my game by going nearly every day (as my work and condition allows) and walking the course (18 holes).

Other than basic stretching techniques, what else does everyone recommend to lose weight (incorporated with golf) and for game improvement. Obviously be losing some weight (I'm 6'2" and about 235~), I can improve my game.

Thanks in advance!

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff
1, 2, 3 Hibore Hybird (Regular Steel)
Big Bertha 4-PW Regular TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Shafts 54* and 60* CG12 Wedges Piper Putter Tour i Balls Stand BagMy Home Course: Oak Brook Golf ClubMy Stats for This Season

Im sure you'll shed a few pounds walking 18 holes with the bag on your back. If oyu do that enough you'll see some improvement. Good luck man!
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

The biggest thing about weight loss is watching what you eat. If you try to limit the junk food (Im not saying you cant have a beer and a cheeseburger and fries, just eat those things in moderation), you will lose weight.
Beyond that, some mild weight training would be good. Make sure you go with less weight but more reps. That will give you more lean muscle mass so that you wont look like a body builder.
Also, Id start doing pushups and situps.
Then, Id do something for your cardiovascular endurance. Me personally, I ride my bicycle at least 30 minutes a day.
Beyond that, just play golf. IMO, the best way to build the muscles that you use while playing golf is to play golf.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Like what was some what said above, you need to diet. Golfing alone is not enough physical exercise to lose any significant weight. Sure you might shed a few pounds but you will plateau fairly fast.

Thanks for the tips so far. I agree with dieting as well. I have been on a reduced-calorie and fat diet since the beginning of the year and have shaved off about 10 or so pounds, which isn't that bad for what I've been doing moderately. I would like to incorporate golf, and like someone said some weight training, to get near or under 200 by the end of the year.

Thanks!

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff
Big Bertha 4-PW Regular TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Shafts 54* and 60* CG12 Wedges Piper Putter Tour i Balls Stand BagMy Home Course: Oak Brook Golf ClubMy Stats for This Season

I have been on a reduced-calorie and fat diet since the beginning of the year and have shaved off about 10 or so pounds, which isn't that bad for what I've been doing moderately.

Great job! Keep it up and I am sure you will hit your goal

If you have access to a pool, it can be a great combination with your golf for muscle strength, metabolism increase, and weight lose combined with a balances high-protein diet.

If you want to have some specific advice you can PM me. I'm a doctor and might be able to help if you're experiencing any problem

Cheers,

I am also a high handicapper in the Chicago suburbs who is in the middle of trying to both improve his game and lose weight so I suppose I should also chime in. I certainly wish I had the time and money to join a club and play every day, though!

Anyway, definitely change your eating habits. I started just doing portion control and trying to make smarter food choices about 2 weeks ago and there has already been some noticeable loss and I feel better. When you start off, I found it best to eat many small meals throughout the day. I would wake up and have one egg with plain wheat toast. 2 hours later I would have a small snack like cereal or yogurt. 2 hours later I would have a salad or small sandwich. 2 hours later I would have another small snack...and so forth. Just make sure to make your dinner your smallest meal and don't do any snacking after that. Go to bed on an empty stomach. Cut out as much Coke and beer as you possibly can (I allow myself 1 of each a day).

As far as fitness, you are definitely going to see those pounds come off if you are walking 18 every single day, but make sure to stretch out before start your round (particularly now before your body is slimmed down and used to that much walking) and stay hydrated on the course. Stick a couple bottles of water in your bag and make an effort to drink both of them before your round is over. Bring double that once we start getting are real summer temperatures around these parts. Not enough people are cognizant of how quickly your body tires when you are not replenishing lost sweat.

The other bit of advice I have for you would be to sign up for the Titleist Performance Institute . It is a free site that offers a bevy of workouts and drills for golfers looking to shape up both their bodies and their games. Every workout has a video with an instructor detailing the muscle groups being worked and the reason for working them. I have been doing the mobility A workout plan for a week now and I already feel more confident and my swing feels more effortless. A very cool site.

Just keep at it and you'll see results!

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Congrats on your decision.

I found myself in a simular fix a few months ago.

I shopped around and found a push cart that works wonderfully for me. Walking 18 is a nice physical workout as well as working on my game at the same time.

It's a great way to spend some quiet solo time as well. Where else can you be alone and not bothered with noise for 4 hours at a time.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Here's the best thing to do:

take your bodyweight and multiply that number by 18. This is the amount of calories you should eat every day. So if you are 200 lbs you will eat 3600 calories every day.

Do strength training. Don't train with low weight and high reps because it doesn't do anything for you. Train heavy, 5 reps or less.

Strength training will convert your fat to muscle, which will help your golf swing and health. More muscle means more calories burned, which will mean more fat loss. Look to lose fat, not weight.

Aim to get at least 1 gram of protein per lb bodyweight. So if you are 200 lbs, get 200 g of protein per day. That isn't too hard, thats just three medium sized chicken breasts. Eat healthy carbs. Whole grain and wheat only. Don't eat any carbs that are white or can be cooked white. Get fish oil tablets and take 5-6 a day. Eat beef because it's high in saturated fat. This increases testosterone which will burn even more fat and build more muscle.

Note that eating maintainance calories (like above) will not put on bulk. You will maintain your weight while losing fat.

so the best solution is strength training. You don't benefit golf by doing cardio only, same with just dieting. Strength train and you'll see improvements in golf and your body.

take your bodyweight and multiply that number by 18. This is the amount of calories you should eat every day. So if you are 200 lbs you will eat 3600 calories every day.

That is not a very precise way to measure calorie intake. The more muscle you have, the more consumption you have. It’s a way, but if you really want to loose fat this can become a bias for the measurement. As well, its way different to have a calorie coming from tuna’s protein than it is one coming from fat in a Big Mac.

Strength training will convert your fat to muscle, which will help your golf swing and health. More muscle means more calories burned, which will mean more fat loss. Look to lose fat, not weight.

I'm sorry mate, but you don't convert fatty tissue into muscle. THat's like changing a kidney for a lung. With training you get muscle and most probably loose fat, but you are not converting one tissue into the other.

Aim to get at least 1 gram of protein per lb bodyweight. So if you are 200 lbs, get 200 g of protein per day. That isn't too hard, thats just three medium sized chicken breasts.

An increase in protein intake can help with a lot of stuff if you don't have any kidney problems. Getting 200grs is quite difficult. 100grs of chicken breasts will give you about 28grs of protein, and having 8 chicken breasts a day is a little bit difficult.

Eat beef because it's high in saturated fat. This increases testosterone which will burn even more fat and build more muscle.

Oh God! What is this? Mate, saturated fat is one of the most harmful things in a diet due to problems regarding your cardiovascular system, you liver, etc, but it has nothing to do with testosterone levels. On the contrary, studies have demonstrated there are huge problems regarding hormone secretion and saturated fat consumption.

Cheers

here's your caloric usage. use the calculator...then find out how much you're burning playing golf...and if you need to burn more, RUN
remember in losing weight the PROPER way, stagger your caloric intake.
you have to keep your metabolism guessing. so sometimes it's better to eat more calories than your body requires that day. trust me. there's days I eat a 24 oz. 3 protein shakes, 8 egg whites, 2 salads, a baked potato and a bag of chips..and i managed to lose 60 lbs in 7 months.
http://www.annecollins.com/calories/index.htm
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Calories are like your bodies fuel. If you have a heavy workout routine, eat more calories. IF you don't work out much, eat less calories. Cut out the empty calories (sodas, junk food, candy) and only take in necessary calories (healthy foods) and you will see results.

Ignore the statement about beef is good because of saturated fat. Stay away from saturated fats. That's the stuff that will give you a heart attack. Beef is a great source of protein, but it also high in fat. That's the downfall of beef. It has great amounts of protein and vitamins, but a lot of fat comes with it. Eat lean beef if you do.

Chicken (baked or grilled) is good because it is relatively low in calories and fat and medium in protein and vitamins. It is also filling, which can be a huge plus if you are trying to lose weight. Less calories with same fullness is a good thing. Chicken can be as healthy as you make. If you load if full of cheese and other crap, it's not going to be any good for you.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I really have been eating better than last year and really hope to continue to do so. Things are always tempting, but you just have to have the strength to not go to them.

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff

Note: This thread is 5805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!