IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

This is slightly off topic but it does concern the way Adam Scott dresses. He's wearing this sweater (in the link below) does anyone know what company it is produced by? Thanks

Actually way off topic but I'll answer you anyway.

Adam Scott is sponsored by Burberry so it is most likely made by them.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...
The comments to the Crocs Golf Shoe Review on the front page of The Sand Trap made me think about this old thread. Maybe some of the newbies can comment on their beliefs.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

i support the dress code ..
after all.. GOLF stands for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden...

i always wear a polo shirt and khackis even when theres no posted dress code... it wouldnt feel right if i wore anything else.

but if there isnt a code, i dont give a crap what anybody else is wearing... i expect that when i play at the cheaper golf courses...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

I happen to be in the "reasonable dress code" faction. I see nothing wrong with jeans during colder weather, but I live in Colorado where jeans are the garment of choice for at least 50% of all casual wear. I also own and wear several pairs of what are sometimes referred to as "cargo " shorts. Mine are nothing more than nice Bermuda shorts with a couple of extra pockets. They were bought originally for a summer trip to Italy, and were worn for 3 weeks over there, including to some nice restaurants, without comment. They are not wrinkled, baggy, sloppy looking, yet there are golf courses with ridiculously strict codes where I might be denied access for wearing them, and that just isn't right.

I dress neatly at all times when I play, but many of you here would have me drawn and quartered for wearing what I see as neat and proper. BTW, to the above poster, I wear a Tilley hat with my "sort of cargo" shorts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The comments to the

good thread, thanks for resurrecting it. Dress codes are good for the game, I can't stand jeans on the course. However, I never tuck my shirt in because I'm tall and it's hard to find shirts long enough where they don't come untucked when I swing.

I'm for dress codes to an extent because it does look better. Our course has the "no cutoff, no plain white t shirt, tank top code." Personally, unless it is cold, I prefer to play in khaki cargo shorts, but not the ones that hang down way past the knee. I wear either a polo or dri fit mock turtleneck, which keeps me very comfortable and unrestricted during swinging. I always wear a belt and have my shirt tucked in. If it is cold, I wear slacks. When I first started out, I did wear jeans, only because I didn't own alot of slacks. Now, I don't wear jeans period on the course. Just my preference. People getting bent out of shape because of someone else's dress probably complain about alot of other stuff too. I don't feel it would be my place to complain. If the course allows it, then it is the managements decision, and ultimately their image that is at stake.

My bag:

Bag: TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

Good for the game for sure, I play alot of club golf and I am tired of the punters who come along during a pratice round and ruin your game because the dont have the sence to relise there are other people on course...Due to this the course had a full review of what is happening.

This was a semi-private course and on the weekends opened up for the general public with booking only. So there was a dress code inplace except for the general public tee times, which made no sence.

As there was alot of debate about when the general public played effecting the Members and in particular the clubs Pennate Members the decided as from the 25th of December 2008 the course has gone Private Members Only so there wont be any general public on our course causing trouble.

I only feel this strongly due to the amount Members Pay in joining fees and Yearly Green fees. It cost around $25,ooo Aus to join after being accepted into the course and $4000 Aus Per year for green fees. It just gets to me when a guy who pays $40 Aus wearing a tracksuit or boardshorts and a singlet for a round comes along and ruins my game...

Anyone else get this problem??
My Equipment:
Sumo2 5900 8.5 Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Wood Stiff Flex
Sumo2 3 Hybrid Stiff Flex
cci Cast Irons 4-PW Dynamic Light Stiff ShaftsSV Wedge's 56 & 60 Dynamic Gold ShaftsWhite Hot Sabertooth PutterOne Platinum Golf Balls #3'sSQ Tour 10.5 Inch Staff BagTW SP-8 Shoes

Good for the game. I wouldn't want an overly strict policy, and in fact my club is very very lax on dress code. You can wear what you want, but the overwhelming majority always wear a collared shirt, no denim. To me, wearing a collared shirt and nice khaki shorts or pants is part of the game.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

It just gets to me when a guy who pays $40 Aus wearing a tracksuit or boardshorts and a singlet for a round comes along and ruins my game...

No, I don't get it. I probably shouldn't get back into this debate, but I still don't understand how the dress code prevents rude behavior. Either that, or I don't understand how a tracksuit or boardshorts ruin your game in the absence of rude behavior.

I still firmly believe one should wear whatever they're most comfortable playing. I'm on the course to golf, not for a fashion show.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Dress codes are great and show repect for the game. My son is on the High School basketball team and the day of each game they are required to wear white shirts with ties, dress slacks and dress shoes or they will not play.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

The comments to the

Sniff sniff. Good to see you again thread.

You'd probably get a chuckle out of me if I saw you playing in those, but I wouldn't care. As long as its not in my peripheral vision, its alright with me. Never really liked those things anyway - golf shoes or on my way to the laundromat shoes.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

One of the problems with a dress code is you can be compliant and still look like crap IE plaid pants and stripped shirts as opposed to really nice in a mock and black jeans. Style changes or we would all have to wear knickers and long socks. If we are allowed to police ourselves over the rules of the game why not on our dress and dont even get me started on the double standard of what is ok for women to wear on the coarse. How you choose to dress doesn't always reflect on your how you behave.

One of the problems with a dress code is you can be compliant and still look like crap IE plaid pants and stripped shirts as opposed to really nice in a mock and black jeans.

You forgot IYHO.........plaid pants and striped shirt looks WAY better than one of those dumb-arse mocks.........IMHO. :D

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Good for the game? Yes
Mandatory? No. They have their place.
My preference is cargo khacki shorts and a polo shirt or khacki pants ands polo. Depending on the weather. However, not a round goes by at my course where I don't see at least one person with cut off jean shorts and a Dale E. muscle shirt on. If these people didn't play at that course it would likely be closed...that's just the area that I live in.

good for the game, but i'm irritated by it at times.

i don't agree with "shirts HAVE to have a collar" or "no blue jeans." if i've got a decent short sleeve (or long sleeve) shirt and my jeans aren't torn and tattered - if i'm presentable in other words - then i'm good to go. but that being said... i'd rather have to wear a collar than see a bunch of shirtless holligans running around.

i was actually turned away at a local course once because i didn't have a collar. i had a perfectly fine short sleeve shirt on, it just didn't have a collar, and the guy was telling me no dice. i was like, seriously, you're going to refuse my $50 because of my otherwise perfectly acceptable shirt?

whatever, took my business to the course across the way.

One of the problems with a dress code is you can be compliant and still look like crap IE plaid pants and stripped shirts as opposed to really nice in a mock and black jeans. Style changes or we would all have to wear knickers and long socks.

Here is the problem with that, I would rather see someone dressed in plaid pants and a striped shirt than in cut-off jeans and an Alan Iverson jersey.

You forgot IYHO.........plaid pants and striped shirt looks WAY better than one of those dumb-arse mocks.........IMHO. :D

No Mocks!

I love the mock, especially in the winter time. My long sleeve mocks are the best things ever made for cold weather golf.

It is funny to see that, most of the people who voted on "Bad for the game" are the highest handicapers. At least that is what I saw after reading almost every reply...

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

great for the game, and the history that is involved and ingrained within the sport. While these are all our personal opinions, I like the fact that the game still captures traditions that were instilled within the game when it first started. Yes I agree that some courses are a bit out of hand with their policies, but each course/club is trying to establish its own reputation and credibility in the golfing community. As far as I know it seems like the dress code has been fairly consistent throughout the years golf has been around (minus the knickers and what not), but figure it is an individual sport and allows everyone to express their own style and preferences while still imposing restrictions on how you are presenting yourself on the course and in front of others.

Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

taylor made R9 460 - 10.5 | taylor made Burner Wood - 15 | callaway BB Heavenwood 3 Hybrid - 20 | nickent 3dx RC 4 Hybrid - 23 |mizuno MX300 5-PW | titleist SM Vokey - 50/54/58 | scotty cameron Fastback - 33'' | titleist NXT Tourhttp://www...

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!