IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note:Β This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Contrary to an earlier opinion, there is no "uniform" for golf, except for maybe the shoes and glove, and they aren't really necessary. I almost always wear a golf polo, but I don't require the next guy to. I only ask that what he wears be clean and presentable. In that small respect, I guess I support a dress code too, but it's just a common sense code for anyone going out in public.

I think you're missing a big point... there may be no uniform, but there is an expected "golf dress" ... and at many courses that would be no denim, hemmed bermuda length shorts or pants, and a collared shirt. The "golf dress" is somewhat compatible with business casual. Just because we are not wearing what we did back in the day doesn't mean there should be no dress code. Back in the day attorneys wore whigs and robes in court, today we wear suits... it has evolved, but there is still an appropriate dress for court.

I think NM and spackler have hit a lot of the good points... let me just add... The vast majority of people think dress codes are good for golf, look at the poll results. I have tattoos and like wearing t-shirts in many occaisions. I also ride a motorcycle, wear jeans a lot, and generally dress pretty casual much of the time. Just because I think people should wear more business like clothes to golf in does not mean I am "judging" them or anything else. It means that I feel that there is appropriate golf attire and inappropriate golf attire. T-shirts, jeans, cargos, and other such clothes don't belong on a golf course. I have a right to have this opinion, and I will not have people telling me I am a biggot or facist just because I think it is OK to have a dress code for certain activities in life. We have dress codes at many of our jobs, and thankfully we still have them at some social/entertainment events, so why not have one in golf. I cannot figure out for the life of me why some people feel so persecuted by someone else saying they dopn't agree with the clothes they wear on a golf course. As long as courses will listen to me I will always vote and voice my opinion that I want a dress code enforced... if the course doesn't have one, fine... but I will still think you guys look like slobs, and I'm entitled to that opinion.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

Rocktimus, I think, amazingly, we have more in common than not.

lol you sorta pegged part of my personality in that first statement, Im pretty anti-social. Its an idmitted character flaw. But even though I tend to dislike more than 50% of the population I dont begrudge them. I just dont hang out with them when can be avoided. On the golf course I smile, and shake hands, and try to enjoy the day. Almost everyone is nice, I jsut dont share senses of humor and taste with most people. Maybe thats why I preach tolerance on tastes, because if I thought like alot of people in this thread I would absolutely hate everyone. At any rate Im done arguing. For one, its all for naught. Its not like PGA officials are reading this thread and saying "Hey that star wars dork has some solid points. We should rethink our point of views." Or vice versa for that matter. And its not like anybody who has argues passionately for either side is going to do a 180 and support the other. Most of us even if the other argument got through probbaly arent that big. Myself included. I just hope that maybe someone reading who was on the fence about the subject, agreed with me and got swayed. Thinking, you know what hes right I would rather play golf with the naked man whos friendly and plays fast, as opposed to the guy wearing cashmere who treats everyone like a leper, and makes the round last 5 hours.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

I cannot figure out for the life of me why some people feel so persecuted by someone else saying they dopn't agree with the clothes they wear on a golf course. As long as courses will listen to me I will always vote and voice my opinion that I want a dress code enforced... if the course doesn't have one, fine... but I will still think you guys look like slobs, and I'm entitled to that opinion.

It's not a vain feeling of persecution. As you point out, many golf courses do listen and do

enforce dress codes. In other words, thanks to that, there are fewer options available to those of us who don't like to wear the clothes that have been deemed "appropriate." While I think it's childish (or maybe more like middle-schoolish) to bother yourself about what others are wearing to enjoy their recreation, I wouldn't be terribly upset. Plus, dress codes add to the perception of exclusivity/snobbery in golf. That is bad for the game.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

...Plus, dress codes add to the perception of exclusivity/snobbery in golf. That is bad for the game.

I think it's just the opposite. With everyone wearing more or less the same stuff, the class distinctions are minimized - kind of like school uniforms. Rich guy, poor guy, lawyer, bus driver - all wearing slacks and a polo. That cuts down on snobbery, while wildly disparate dress promotes it.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

re: fat slice -- I think that may be more likely the perception of someone who is already comfortable with the "appropriate" dress. As someone who lives most of his life wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt, the idea that I have to go find a shirt with a collar and a new pair of pants is somewhat off-putting.

In the bag:

re: fat slice -- I think that may be more likely the perception of someone who is already comfortable with the "appropriate" dress. As someone who lives most of his life wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt, the idea that I have to go find a shirt with a collar and a new pair of pants is somewhat off-putting.

is it really that tough to find a polo and some khakis... seriously

I think it's just the opposite. With everyone wearing more or less the same stuff, the class distinctions are minimized - kind of like school uniforms. Rich guy, poor guy, lawyer, bus driver - all wearing slacks and a polo. That cuts down on snobbery, while wildly disparate dress promotes it.

thank you... great point

kahkis and a fricking polo... we're not talking black tie or a 3-piece suit here. It's really not that difficult to find such... are you also put off by having to find a bathing suit to swim in, or a jersey to play sport X, or some hunter orange to go hunting, or perhaps a suit for a funeral. Why do so many think that everyone should make exceptions for them just because they don't like to dress up a tiny bit... give me a frigging break. What about the guy who spends most of his time in a wife-beater and cut-off blue-jeans... I suppose that should be fine as well????
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

Personally, I do wear golf dress when golfing . . . it's just something I do. In the summer, I don't see anything wrong with nice shorts (like Dockers or something) with a polo shirt. In cold weather (like yesterday), I wore a mock and jeans . . . because it was a bit chilly.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Thinking, you know what hes right I would rather play golf with the naked man whos friendly and plays fast,

i couldnt let this go cuz this would definately affect my game... i'd have to ask him to play only one ball and to put away his 2 dangling provisionals... plus he'd be calling 'strokes' on himself all day with 15 clubs even tho one of them realllly needs to get in his bag...

now if it were an attractive person of the opposite sex... id only pray for a hole in one... /sexist homophobic humor done/ (please laugh)
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

this is like politics. almost everybody thinks they are right no matter what.

now i'll wear my nice shorts and tucked in polo in the summer. when it gets colder, i'll wear longer khakis and a long sleeve shirt. but for golf practice i'm not missing my early tee time to change out of my jeans. i'll still wear a nice shirt. but i don't look down on people who don't dress "up to standards"or whatever. if there is no dress code, fine. i'll still dress in what i usually dress.

as long as people are playing, what's the beef?

i've played with guys in jeans and a t-shirt that are the nicest people in the world. i've played with guys all decked out who were pricks. i would rather play with the nice people

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Good post! +1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ah, you pay a couple hundred or more for clubs and a bag, you have to buy shoes, you pay green fees every time you go out. You are telling me that it's a big burden for a golfer to go to Ross Dress-For-Less and spend $40 on some pants and a shirt? You could even ask dumpster-boy to go find some for free!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Definitely good for the game.

If you dress good you feel good, and play good.

This is a no brainer people!

Taking a "dump" is "natural" and feels good, but I don't wanna see people doing it!

If you go out in public, act like you belong!
  • Upvote 1

Looked for a thread on this and nothing hit on it exactly so here goes. What do you think, are dress codes good or bad for the game of golf.

i think its good cept i would like it more if jeans were ok

I wear khaki shorts and a Under Armour Polo shirt when I golf, untucked. If thats against dress code then it's bad for the game, lol.

Driver- Nike Sasquatch 10.5/Aldila VS Proto ByYou
5 wood- Taylormade CGB Max Clone
3-PW- Nike Pro Combo Tour Clones
3 Hybrid (2i replacement)-Ben Hogan Edge CFT
Wedge- Vokey 56 degree Oil Can ClonePutter- Guerin Rife 2-Bar CloneBag- Cougar Hydro III Carry Bag

I wear khaki shorts and a Under Armour Polo shirt when I golf, untucked. If thats against dress code then it's bad for the game, lol.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's nice to wear a polo, isn't it? Just seems to go with golf.

i've played with guys in jeans and a t-shirt that are the nicest people in the world. i've played with guys all decked out who were pricks. i would rather play with the nice people

Good post! +1

You guys continue to miss the point completely. This I would rather play with guys who are nice arguement is just plain stupid. It has nothing to do with that. Like anyone wants to play with some jackass. But jackasses wear t-shirts on the course as well.

I believe Erik said this earlier in this thread and it still makes since to me. I believe in dressing for the job I want not the job I have. The same holds true for golf. I choose to dress like the player I want to be. When was the last time (besides John Daly) you saw a golf pro dressed in basketball shorts and a tank top while playing golf? Now don't get me wrong I have no unrealistic fantasies about joining the tour anytime soon, but in my experience the really good players I have been around (PGA Tour pros, Teaching pros, college players, top amateurs, etc) all dress nicely while on the course. Sure there are exceptions but every really good player I know dresses the part. So basically if I play like crap, at least I look good while doing it. I think it would be depressing to suck and look like at the same time.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

kahkis and a fricking polo... we're not talking black tie or a 3-piece suit here. It's really not that difficult to find such... are you also put off by having to find a bathing suit to swim in, or a jersey to play sport X, or some hunter orange to go hunting, or perhaps a suit for a funeral.

For me, it has nothing to do with the difficulty of obtaining the clothes and everything to do with arbitrary and exclusive rules that have nothing to do with the performance of the activity.

Why do so many think that everyone should make exceptions for them just because they don't like to dress up a tiny bit...

Because it's none of your ****ing business what I wear on the course.

I think we can all agree on your first point, and your last is exactly my feeling. If it bugs you to see me in jeans and a t-shirt while I fill in my divots and repair my pitch marks, then watch that guy in the khakis and polo shirt tearing around the fairway in his cart instead.

In the bag:

For me, it has nothing to do with the difficulty of obtaining the clothes and everything to do with arbitrary and exclusive rules that have nothing to do with the performance of the activity.

I love how the sloppy dressers keep bringing up the fact that they fix divots and marks. That's great, but it's not the topic here. If you have all this respect for the game in that area, why not just make it complete and leave the jeans at home.

• Upvote 1

Note:Β This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!