IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

+1 for dress codes in golf.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Of course I think a dress code is good. I dont see why someone cant throw on a pair of Khakis and a golf shirt to go play, but some courses go to far.

Im a member of two clubs. One is a public 9 hole, with a standard dress code (no tank tops, short shorts, etc etc) and I think it works great it keeping the place look a little classy.

The other is a private 18 hole course, which is simply beautiful. The place has a very strict dress code though. You have to have shoes (no sneakers), dressy pants, black, tan, sand type colors, no flashy pants of any kind. Golf shirts are ok, but if its cold, you arent allowed to throw a long sleeve shirt underneath, you have to have a one piece long sleeve golf shirt. No clothes with logos (except a small swoosh or whatever on the left breast of a golf shirt, and no non-golf logos on baseball caps (no sports teams, etc etc). On top of that you have to have all tattoo's covered, so if you have a tattoo on your arm, your playing in long sleeves all summer.

That I think, is going too far.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

The other is a private 18 hole course, which is simply beautiful. The place has a very strict dress code though. You have to have shoes (no sneakers), dressy pants, black, tan, sand type colors, no flashy pants of any kind. Golf shirts are ok, but if its cold, you arent allowed to throw a long sleeve shirt underneath, you have to have a one piece long sleeve golf shirt. No clothes with logos (except a small swoosh or whatever on the left breast of a golf shirt, and no non-golf logos on baseball caps (no sports teams, etc etc). On top of that you have to have all tattoo's covered, so if you have a tattoo on your arm, your playing in long sleeves all summer.

Do you also have to have a broomstick up your rear like the snobs who wrote that code?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted good for the game, but I also think that many people (on this board) take it to the extreme though

I don't play on any courses that require a dress code. I do wear cargo shorts, as I do not have any pants that would be acceptable to play golf in, in the summer. I have heavier khaki pants, and i'd just die in them in the heat. But I always play in a nice polo (Re: Ashworth, Cutter & Buck, Nike, etc.). I got a ton of them from my mom's boss when the golf resort she works for changed their logo slightly. Can't sport clothes with the old logo if you're the general manager! Hooray for me!

now, if Salishan would just let family members on to play for free instead of 1/2 junior rate (which is a good deal anyway) I'd be happy.

A Work in Progress:

Bag: Physics Stand Bag (ebay dirt cheap special)
Driver: Knight GTi Tour 285 10*
3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

Do you also have to have a broomstick up your rear like the snobs who wrote that code?

dude, did you read the end of the quote? he said he thought it was going to far.

A Work in Progress:

3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

Its ridiculous I admit. But the course is absolutely amazing. Perfet fairways and greens, well maintained.

But as I said, its a private country club. You have to apply to play there. To become a member, you even have to consent to a criminal record check...

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

dude, did you read the end of the quote? he said he thought it was going to far.

Re-read what I wrote please. I wasn't attacking APOG10, I was ridiculing the club.

Rick

Yeah keep everything neat. It doesn't necessarily have to be a collared shirt and slacks. But please don't wear the jeans, the ripped shirts, the basketball shorts. I'm sorry but that just screams that you suck at golf and don't care. Every single person I've seen playing golf that wears jeans or basketball shorts or anything other than some nice clothes, sucks at golf. This is kind of a rant, but they shouldn't really be on the course in the first place. I don't mind the cargo shorts, but just look neat please. Golf is a gentleman's game, and you should be dressed like on while playing it.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

you have "Daddy needs his bite" in your signature and you're going on about how this is a gentleman's game .... ? really ?

as fourrputt said ... lets all dislodge the broomstick at least a few inches ;)

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Yeah keep everything neat. It doesn't necessarily have to be a collared shirt and slacks. But please don't wear the jeans, the ripped shirts, the basketball shorts. I'm sorry but that just screams that you suck at golf and don't care. Every single person I've seen playing golf that wears jeans or basketball shorts or anything other than some nice clothes, sucks at golf. This is kind of a rant, but they shouldn't really be on the course in the first place. I don't mind the cargo shorts, but just look neat please. Golf is a gentleman's game, and you should be dressed like on while playing it.

Whatever you do, don't stereotype. From late fall to early spring, at least half of the players on my home course will be wearing jeans. More than half of those wearing jeans are very experienced golfers, most are members of the Men's Club, many play to at or near single digits, and compete regularly in tournaments. They know the game, they play by the rules, they adhere to good etiquette. Colorado is cowboy country and most natives grew up wearing jeans every day to school, to work, and on date night. And even non-natives pick up the casual lifestyle quickly.

Yet, when playing at a different or unfamiliar course they wouldn't think of wearing jeans. So don't pass off your preconceived notions about jeans... it all depends on the locale and the course. What's considered proper is not always the same in different parts of the country.

Rick

but just look neat please. Golf is a gentleman's game, and you should be dressed like on while playing it.

1 persons view of neat is more then likely different then anothers don't you think........1 player may like neat in cargo's and a tee-shirt then a guy wearing slacks and a collared shirt imo I just love how if you don't wear this or that it is automatically a given you SUCK at Golf....WOW LOL at least that's an opinion right?

Wow, i already responded to this thread, but after reading through some of it, I have something else to add.

It absolutely amazes me how many people think they can dress like slobs and suffer no consequence for it.

You dont go into a job interview with jeans and a t-shirt do you? Or a business meeting? Some do, I know, but it definately says something negative about you. I run 2 businesses, and I interview people often. More than once, i've hired the person with less qualifications, who could still do the job well, because they looked PRESENTABLE when we met. Sloppy dressing points to a few problems, the biggest being lazyness. Yes, lazyness. If you cant take the time to put on slacks and a decent collared shirt, why should I think you'll take the time to do your job correctly.

How you dress speaks volumes about who you are!

Jeans, t-shirts, sweat, athletic shorts do have their place in the world, relaxing, working around the house, at the gym, whatever.

Even growing up playing hockey, one of the most barbaric games in the world, we had to show up to the rink in a shirt and tie and slacks. As I got older, it got even stricter, sport coats, watches, clean shaven and smelling good.

So yes, dress may not speak about your personality or values, but it speaks volumes about your ethics.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

So yes, dress may not speak about your personality or values, but it speaks volumes about your ethics.

Pure bull s##t. It speaks about how you choose to dress, nothing more than that. If anything it speaks about values -- i.e., you don't value dressing up for the sake of impressing other people. Ethics? No.

I find it bizarre that you mention how informal clothes are ok at the gym or for other recreational situations, but take it as a given that everyone should agree that golf is somehow different. Sorry. I see golf having more in common with the gym than I do with an office.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Pure bull s##t. It speaks about how you choose to dress, nothing more than that. If anything it speaks about values -- i.e., you don't value dressing up for the sake of impressing other people. Ethics? No.

Pure bull s##t.

Golf is more closely connected to business than any other sport. I've had numerous business meetings on the course. Different sports, different attire, plain and simple. You choose to dress like a slob, in dirty clothes and t-shirts, then dont be angry when you get looked at as one.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I did Orange Polo + Basketball Shorts + formal golf shoes once, people were really confused

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

Pure bull s##t.

I've known lots of business to be worked out on the racquetball court too. Does that mean that you should play in a 3 piece suit????

Come on, get real. Admit that different places put different values on dress for what is essentially an outdoor sporting event. If all of Canada is that stuffy, then I'm glad I live south of the border. Your prejudice is showing... just because one wears jeans in a casual setting doesn't make him a slob... but if you think that he is, then you just might be a snob. BTW, I've met some very nice Canadians who would argue your point too. You're the guy who just said that one of your clubs goes over the top with their dress code... now you're defending that attitude. You can't have it both ways.

Rick

If you are going golfing with business partners, or clients, etc. then yes, dress attire. If you're just out on a weekend with your buddies drinkin beer and having fun, you shouldn't need to be decked out in your "sunday best". Hell, I'm going golfing tomorrow and it's supposed to rain. You won't catch me in dress slacks and fancy leather golf shoes. Hell, my neighbor is going to be wearing overalls =P

A Work in Progress:

Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!