IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Originally Posted by meenman

You are basically insane as is anybody else that wouldnt play for some of these reasons. No one cares what you play for clubs or balls. The only reason I know which ball my partner played in todays tourney was because 9 holes of it was alternate shot.

You should look respectable, know when to pick up your ball, hit when it is your turn and keep up pace of play. You would be amazed how many people would accept you for these few things.

Golf is not easy - many give up because they are not instantly good at it. No matter what technological advances there are in equipment, the average joe is not going to take the time to practice.

The only way to grow the game is to get kids involved at a young age and again, that is tough. I see a few psychotic parents watching over their *prodigy* during lessons (i know if I was that kid I would probably give up the game the minute they turned their back.)

It is a boring game to a lot of kids - todays's golfers are going to have to introduce their kids into it for it to grow. But let's be honest, many of us never thought anything our parents did was *cool.*

OK, this post probably fits best in the other thread, but it's fine with me. I'm adaptable. And I never said that reason was a good reason or even necessarily true in terms of the actual welcome a new golfer with less means may receive. I said it is a perception, and the result of that perception, for many, is "nah, I'm not a golf guy." So if it is in your interest as a golfer to have more people come into the game (and it may not be for all I know), one way to do that might just be to ease up a little, be a little more casual, and let the new guys learn the etiquette by your example as they go along. Most people naturally want to fit in, so just set the example and let instinct take over. You can berate a guy for showing up to play in jeans and he probably won't ever come back. Or you can let him observe that you and the other three guys are wearing slacks and looking like golfers, and what will happen? Bet you 9 times out of 10 the next time he comes to play he will be dressed like you. And all the other golf manners will be picked up in that same way.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Belong to a municipal and a country club at about 2x the price.  conditions at CC are well worth the extra money.  If I want to get drunk from a cooler and play accordingly I go to the Muni.  Summer rules only at the CC. They roll it at the muni.

Never had anyone during a tournament yell to a foursome of women "show us your boobs!" at the CC but have seen this at the muni.  If you are going to flash your chest, a tank top would be easier.

Sometimes I want to go for a dog or burger and sometimes I go to a nice restaurant.  I wouldn't wear a tank top, BB shorts and sneakers to a nice restaurant.  Why would I wear this outfit to a nice golf course?  When you dress down you are making a statement of the golfing conditions.  Wearing a tank top to a nice golf course is disrepectful to the owners or members of this nice course.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

You are basically insane as is anybody else that wouldnt play for some of these reasons. No one cares what you play for clubs or balls. The only reason I know which ball my partner played in todays tourney was because 9 holes of it was alternate shot.

You should look respectable, know when to pick up your ball, hit when it is your turn and keep up pace of play. You would be amazed how many people would accept you for these few things.

Golf is not easy - many give up because they are not instantly good at it. No matter what technological advances there are in equipment, the average joe is not going to take the time to practice.

The only way to grow the game is to get kids involved at a young age and again, that is tough. I see a few psychotic parents watching over their *prodigy* during lessons (i know if I was that kid I would probably give up the game the minute they turned their back.)

It is a boring game to a lot of kids - todays's golfers are going to have to introduce their kids into it for it to grow. But let's be honest, many of us never thought anything our parents did was *cool.*

" you are basically insane...."

"average joe isn't going to practice"

Psychotic Parents" watch as their children are being coached.   The child is a "prodigy"  If we were on a ski slope and the child were receiving instruction from a coach, the child would be a "prodigy" and the parents would be Psychotic?  Maybe parents are getting a proper start to a difficult game so the child doesn't hate it because it is too difficult.  Not all children hate their parents.  Some children love their parents even if they are abusive, neurotic or psychotic.  If a child learned a difficult game, they will not be likely to turn their back on it.  If they are attemptiong a game without any coaching or instruction and cannot have any degree of success, they will turn their back on it.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• Administrator

To be clear, this is the dress codes thread.

The other thread is elsewhere, and discussion on that topic (new players being welcomed into the game) can take place there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Looked for a thread on this and nothing hit on it exactly so here goes. What do you think, are dress codes good or bad for the game of golf.

I voted good for the game and below I explain why.

As I drove into the golf course today I saw some jackass with a tank top and basketball shorts on walking into the proshop and I thought to myself I wish we had some type of dress code.

The course where I work and play (and live almost) does not have a dress code of any sort. So what we get are a bunch of idiots that would look just as at home standing on a street corner. Its pathetic, I have even had them say that they play there because they can where whatever thay want.

The big problem with those people is if you do not have enough sense to dress somewhat appropriately to go to the course, then you certainly don't have enough sense to have any sort of etiquette while on it.

I guess my rambling point is be happy if you play somewhere that has a strict dress code. From someone who sees it everyday, dress codes are good for the game.

I fully agree. I actually love dressing for golf because I am that type of person who wants to look good and fashionable. I have friends who just throw on a pair of shorts and a random polo and go. I love wearing golf clothes haha. I just need to get some plaid so I can look like Ian Poulter though I don't know how well I can pull it off lol.

It is fine that you like playing dress up but some of us just want to golf. I can't imagine wearing jeans from a range of motion point of view (maybe if I owned some baggy ones) but I lose very little sleep over what other people wear.

It isn't the dress code that keeps the idiots out. It is the price. If your course is 100/round, you will weed out 99% of the people that want to golf in tank tops. If your a 20/round course, you should expect to see a lot more casual golfers

Originally Posted by ajst22

I fully agree. I actually love dressing for golf because I am that type of person who wants to look good and fashionable. I have friends who just throw on a pair of shorts and a random polo and go. I love wearing golf clothes haha. I just need to get some plaid so I can look like Ian Poulter though I don't know how well I can pull it off lol.

Golf has always been an elitist sport to varying degrees. In the 1800's and into the very early 1900's, only the rich could play because of the expense with one of the biggest expenses being the balls. The feathery was labor intensive to make which made it very expensive. Once they started making the wound ball and the methods for mass producing it, golf became more of a game for the masses. Golf was so elitist that pro golfers weren't even allowed in the clubhouse of the course they were playing tournaments on. Caddies were looked down upon and weren't allowed to play on most courses even though all the great golfers from yesteryear started out as caddies. And of course, women, blacks and others weren't allowed to join clubs either. Golf was as elitist and snobby as could be. In my opinion, dress codes are still a part of that elitism. There's people who like to control other people. I'm sure at some country clubs the brands of the clothes they wear and the cars they drive up in are talked about and if you're not up to the elitist standard, you will be looked down upon. There isn't any tradition to wearing certain clothes to play golf other than what was set by the rich people years ago. I'll bet the sheep herders and whomever else played golf before the rich made it their playground in the 1800's didn't wear ties and jackets to play. But country clubs are private clubs and they are free to set their own rules. And I don't think there should be dress codes at public courses other than you should look clean, neat and presentable. I don't think basketball shorts and wife beaters pass that test but there are a lot of sports clothes made that cost a good buck and look fine to wear on a golf course to me. I think too many people dress down too much now a days anyway whether they're going shopping, to a ball game, to a restaurant or where ever and I prefer seeing people dressed a little nicer and neater than what you see a lot of now.

I've played with guys that were nicely dressed that were complete jerks, and I've played with guys wearing jeans that were fun to play with. I'll take the good guy regardless of how he is dressed. I think good behavior, being cosiderate of your playing partners, is much more important than being properly dressed.

I was burnt once  by the 'dress code'. And did not like it. My friend invited me to visit him in Shenzhen China and play at Mission Hills, a monster golf resort. So i went with appropriate gear, so i thought. You may know that Shenzhen lies in the tropics where the sun is fierce and fiery. I am Mr. Very White and cannot play in short sleeve shirts. I carried my ordinary dress shirt with long sleeves and collar and maybe could have passed for Walter Hagan or  Ben  Hogan (if i had been 8" shorter and 80lbs lighter). OH NO.  Can't  play in that shirt. Must have 'golf shirt' . So i was forced to buy new, club house expensive short sleeved golf shirt, which, after i left the first hole i removed and replaced with my regular long sleeved one. Not happy that day. I thought i looked pretty good, and well dressed.

I either wear black dress pants and a polo, or khaki shorts (sometimes cargo) and a polo. I don't know what the big deal with cargo shorts is but whatever. I've never been turned away for wearing them. I also don't tuck my shirt in because it annoys me. But I look presentable enough to play. I agree with tank tops and basketball shorts should be kept at home, use some common sense. But I could care less what someone wants to wear, just as long as they aren't a jerk on the course wear whatever you want.

Originally Posted by joekelly

I was burnt once  by the 'dress code'. And did not like it. My friend invited me to visit him in Shenzhen China and play at Mission Hills, a monster golf resort. So i went with appropriate gear, so i thought. You may know that Shenzhen lies in the tropics where the sun is fierce and fiery. I am Mr. Very White and cannot play in short sleeve shirts. I carried my ordinary dress shirt with long sleeves and collar and maybe could have passed for Walter Hagan or  Ben  Hogan (if i had been 8" shorter and 80lbs lighter).  OH NO.  Can't  play in that shirt. Must have 'golf shirt'. So i was forced to buy new, club house expensive short sleeved golf shirt, which, after i left the first hole i removed and replaced with my regular long sleeved one. Not happy that day. I thought i looked pretty good, and well dressed.

LOL!   That's what I wear...ordinary long sleeve dress shirts for the sun protection they offer. (In my case decades too late.)

I should also start wearing a hat......one with a brim.

If somebody wants to wear basketball shorts with a tank top I don't care. However I draw the line at fat men in Speedos.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Do you go out on a first date in jeans and a t-shirt? If you do, does that woman have more than 3 teeth? Do you show up to a job interview in jeans? There is appropriate dress for everything and those that choose to dress like animals belong with them.

I assure you my friend that every pair of jeans I own (about 15 overall) each costs more than the pants AND shirt you wear to the golf course.  I also assure you if I did choose to wear jeans and a QUALITY polo to a golf course, I would still look far more presentable than 90% of the golfers that show up in shorts and a crappy faded, stretched cotton polo.

That said, I do wear "proper" golf clothing but am highly amused by your disdain for jeans--I bet you're a lot of fun to be around, not judgmental in the least.

Have to run, it is my pack's feeding time.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Standards to me are important.  I have no problem with the fact that if you want to wear jeans and a T-shirt on the course you can, just do it at a club that allows this standard of clothing.  Don't bellyache that you cant play a top course because they ask you to put trousers and a polo shirt on.  My new club wont even allow jeans in the bar let alone on the course which is fine by me.  If I am that desparate for a beer when wearing jeans I will go to the pub or get changed.  Simples.

H/Cap- 25
West End Golf Club Halifax

It's definitely a matter of opinion, no doubt about it. Because you can easily make the argument of unnecessary elitism, counter-productive discrimination, etc.

Though I am also in favour of dress-codes. My experience is that environments in general are better when these are enforced. Nights out, business... can't say much about golf coz I haven't been around enough though.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

It's definitely a matter of opinion, no doubt about it. Because you can easily make the argument of unnecessary elitism, counter-productive discrimination, etc.

Though I am also in favour of dress-codes. My experience is that environments in general are better when these are enforced. Nights out, business... can't say much about golf coz I haven't been around enough though.

Agreed.  But it still irritates me when idiots refer to people that like jeans as "animals."  What about men that are not clean-shaven--they're not "animals" even though some of them resemble gorillas with mange?

The biggest problem I have with the dress codes in golf is the hypocrisy in maintaining a specific image; okay, jeans aren't allowed...big deal.  BUT, they allow men to wear shorts and have scruffy faces?  Or some courses that ban ankle-height socks?  Or golfers to step foot on the course in faded, sweat-stained polos just because they satisfy the collar requirement?  Or courses that allow athletic shoes instead of golf shoes?  The list of asinine things is endless if there is supposed to be a dress code.

• Upvote 1

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

you`ll be telling me i cant wear my wifes panties underneath my tartan plus fours next

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

100% for the dress code

my golf polos cost me like £6 each, my golf trousers/shorts were like £8 each,....i bought several outfits for under £60 almost

i dont buy into "but its comfortable, so be comfortable" crap,......if we took that attitude with everything nobody would wear suits to work anymore, or anywhere else that has a dress code.

t-shirts, jeans, jean shorts just make the place look un-tidy and average,.......as above it hardly costs a thing to look the part, and i dont buy stuff it its not comfortable

its jsut the way of society, no heritage, no history its just always "ohhh poor ickle us dont likes it no more, so we aint gunna adhere to your namby pamby rules"

rules are rules, dont like them then please quit golf and go take up football or something where it doesnt matter if you look like a retard

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!