IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

The original purpose of this thread was to dicuss if dress codes are good or bad for the game.

To rephrase what N.V.M. said...I think the poll pretty much speaks for itself. I don't consider most golf courses to have "strict" dress codes. I think those that do have dress codes for the most part seem to be reasonable. We are not talking PGA Tour here where the players have to wear slacks...no shorts. I used the no shirt, no shoes, no service for restaurants. Where I live, even in fast food restaurants, I don't see any "no shirts". Flip flops are pretty dang close to no shoes but I don't think even moderate restaurants have relaxed their dress codes to where you can come in barefooted and no shirt just to get your business.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

This thread has had some high and low points. Here is what Mr. Palmer has to say about dress.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/a...?currentPage=2

VII. Always look your best

"From Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen to Ben Hogan and Sam Snead to Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, the best players have been meticulous about their appearance. Their clothing has been sharp, and not one of them has shown up on the first tee with his cap backward, mud caked on his shoes, or his shirttail hanging out. (My shirt often came untucked, but it was my swing that did it. I started with it tucked in!)

Your appearance speaks volumes about you as a person, and the neatly appointed golfer, like a businessman or someone headed to church, gives the impression he thinks the golf course and the people there are special." - Arnold Palmer

From: 10 Rules for Good Golf Etiquette, Golf Digest, Aug 2008

Very timely advice from a sage of the game.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Agreed - dress codes are good for the game. Unfortunately, this thread took a turn for the worse when some started making hasty generalizations. I'm not asking anyone to go back and read every post in this thread (because there are a crap load) but realize that the issue is not so black and white as the poll would suggest.

LOL, looks like I got negative rep for objecting to someone calling others 'neanderthals'...ugh

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Agreed - dress codes are good for the game. Unfortunately, this thread took a turn for the worse when some started making hasty generalizations. I'm not asking anyone to go back and read every post in this thread (because there are a crap load) but realize that the issue is not so black and white as the poll would suggest.

I thought that I was going to get a negative rep after I wrote about the "riffraff", but I escaped that. Some people get very sensitive when we use a negative expression, out of fear that we mean THEM or someone in their immediate family. My feeling is that we are on a Discussion Board or Forum, and people are entitled to their own opinions. NO ONE should get upset from a comment that is not personally directed or harassing.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I thought that I was going to get a negative rep after I wrote about the "riffraff", but I escaped that.

Actually, you may have been one of those I was "arguing" with that I may have given a positive to! I also gave some positive to some of my fellow neanderthals but you are only allowed to give so much a day so I know I missed a few! Now, had you backed down and gone the other way . . . . I was half afraid I was gonna end up gretting put in the corner for stirring up the pot, being the "new guy" and all but it seemed like most of the time people didn't even notice I was posting! I was almost wondering if I was the only one seeing my posts! I didn't get any good rep but I didn't get any bad either. I've been on boards where you couldn't even think about showing your own personality because if you did, it was time to find a new board because you weren't allowed on that one any more.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

i'm not a big fan of seeing shorts on the golf course. think the usga was wise to ban them from their competitions for the players but think they should take a second look at it why they allow it for the players' caddies. why should i, watching a golf event and seeing fantastically executed shots, have to see another man's bare naked legs??? i often tell folks, more than often young men, who when they ask if they can play along and i see they are wearing shorts, tell them a quick curt "no".

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

would you perchance, be a hooligan?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I think it all depends on the course. If it is a nice course that charges a good amount then there should be a dress code. But courses like my home course which is in a small town, 9 holes, and never in that great of condition shouldn't require a dress code.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I think it all depends on the course. If it is a nice course that charges a good amount then there should be a dress code. But courses like my home course which is in a small town, 9 holes, and never in that great of condition shouldn't require a dress code.

Here is my solution to the question of dress codes at public golf courses:

I am buying a 9 hole course in our area that is on an isolated road. After the closing, a sign will be posted: "Public Golf Course, nudists ONLY allowed". There------------------no need to worry about what types of clothes-------------NO CLOTHES!!! And coed leagues and foursomes will be encouraged.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

"Public Golf Course, nudists ONLY allowed.

why not call it a "Pubic Golf Course"?

Just read some of the latest posts and missed a few that I'd like to touch upon.

I don't understand some of the explanations for justification that how one dresses automagically says something about someone. I was just on another thread about how this guy got paired with a complete jerk but was dressed in proper golf attire (the posts got deleted - hmmm) - point already disproven.

And another - I like Arnie as much as the next guy, but copying and pasting what he said in an article means nothing. I mean you wouldn't copy and paste what Ben Hogan said about putting (that it should count as half a stroke) and treat it as gospel would you?

I just want to be clear - I have no problems with anyone's opinion. I do have a problem when people resort to name-calling/racial slurs as well as when one doesn't provide valid justification for anything.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

A tank top on a golf course? Basketball shorts? I mean, seriously, do you even need a dress code to realize that it's just inappropriate?

Just to play Devil's advocate: Why are basketball shorts and a tank top so inappropriate for what is, after all, an outdoor recreational activity? A jacket and tie was the accepted uniform for golf not all that long ago, and we now consider collared shirts ok at any course. Fashion has continued to get more casual in most parts of working and recreational life.

Where did we get into racial slurs? And, sadly, the way you dress--anywhere--does say something about you to others, and we want it to say something about us. Do you think punks, Goths, hip hop fans dress the way they do to NOT say something about themselves? Fashion lets us talk without words and it does play into one's first impression and it does matter.

If you own a company, and you have a chance to hire one of two people, and their education, demeanor, background are equal, but one dresses like every day is casual Friday and the other is the suit and tie, first impression type, you will absolutely hire the better appearing one. It's a fact.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

I'm all for dress codes. Then again I dress fairly smartly at home, usually wearing polo or button up shirts and a smart pair of jeans in the winter, in the summer maybe polo shirt and golf friendly shorts.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

How many Steve Jobs are out there?

I just want to know if you can truthfully say to yourself that you NEVER infer a single thing upon meeting someone based on their appearance to you. That may change as you get to know someone, but initially, we all do it.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Two reasons for the yes.

First, I also play duplicate bridge. Tournaments typically have afternoon and evening sessions, with a dinner break in between. In the good old (civilized) days, people wore black tie for the evening session. Very competitive, but very polite.

No dress code these days, and just horrible behavior. It's the old fake it 'till you make it thing--looking good forces you to behave better.

Second is the challenge. Pushing the envelope is much more fun than not having rules. There are some clothing lines out there that can make 19" outseams and polo colors look downright edgy--think http://www.jamiesadock.com/ , with asymmetrical collars and skin tight bermuda shorts. Gotta love following all the rules and still raising eyebrows at the club.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!