IGNORED

What's the closest call you've had on a golf course?

blue3715
Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

golf ball hit my windshield as I was driving out of the golf course is my closest call.

I heard about a 75 year old golfer that I know had a heart attack on the golf course, luckily someone perform CPR and mouth to mouth, after being in colma for a day he woke up with out any damage or health issues and is doing fine, its a miracle.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this happened just yesterday...

i was walking the back 9 with a buddy of mine. we had just walked 27 holes and decided we'd walk 9 more...

we both teed off from the 10th hole, my ball went straight down the fairway about 220 yards while my buddie's sprayed to the right abouty 180-190 yards...

i stood in the middle of the fairway waiting on him to hit his ball before walking up to mine because his shots are never predictable...

well , while i was watching him swing, a ball came whizzing past my right ear... i swear i felt the heat coming off of it...

looked behind me, some a-hole in a cart just nailed his drive in my direction, didnt even yell FORE.. and seemingly gave his buddy a high five as they hopped in the cart and drove towards me...

i was so angry, i contemplated pulling my 2 iron out of my bag and hitting his ball straight back at their golf cart... but my better senses took over me.. and i simply let him play through without a word....

ive never been more mad in my life... that could have hurt like hell if it hit me in my temple...

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

I won't be patting any snakes on the head... but copperheads are one of the most mis-identified snakes in North America. Since the op would go out of his way to kill a snake, I'm willing to bet he couldn't tell the difference between a copperhead and any other snake. Secondly, Copperheads are quite shy, and would much rather slither away than fight, especially anything it couldn't eat. It's too much of a safety risk (for the snake) to waste venom on a non-meal. I'm just saying that if you leave it alone it's going to try it's best to flee.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I grew up in Arkansas where the copperhead is one of the most common poisonous snakes. I also grew up in the outdoors where I encountered lots of critters including snakes enough to identify them without the help of a library. This particular snake was just off the backyard of a house in a subdivision and I assumed there were children in the neighborhood.

Not counting any of that, I kill poisonous snakes just like I would remove an explosive mine if I found one. I have heard all the arguments about how they are a vital part of the eco-system, yada yada yada, but in reality, they occupy a very small niche and don't eat enough frogs and mice to make a dent in the population. If we rid the planet of them, birds of prey could easily make up for the populations they prey on and I never saw a hawk strike and kill a child just because it stepped in the wrong place.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

• 1 month later...
there was a 2some in front of me dinking an dunking their way on the hole ahead and play was slow obviously... they finally let me play thru... im on the next fairway waiting on a slow 4some clear the green when i hear a thud a few feet behind me... the guys that let me play thru got ahold of a bomber and didnt yell fore!!!... they came up to me to apologize and said that they didnt think they could reach me but just got lucky... i told them it would have been nice to have a warning and told them the next time they get 'lucky' to yell for or watch out or heads up or something
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

• 3 months later...
It's amazing how innocent a ball sounds as it hits the ground.

Like the one that landed 15 yards behind me the other day on one of the longer holes (260) at a nearby 9-hole course. I gave 'em some major stinkeye, but decided not to throw it back, since I've never seen anyone at the course hit that first green yet.

Heard another ball plop nearby on a longer 272 6th hole. Dogleg left but couldn't see the culprit. I figure it was well hit to make the fairway, and the guy probably knew his yardage, but it was kinda suspect.

Saw yet another pair of golfers bomb a green with people on it, and they were giggling.

The more these things happen though, it seems the less civilized the game is getting in some places.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Closest call I've had is getting hit in the side of the head by a drive maybe 150 from the tee. The guy hooked it right into the rough on the fairway I was playing on (not the one he was playing on).

At the time I'd only been golfing for 6 weeks or less. What are the odds?

Jerkoff didn't even apologize.

Got a bald spot on the side of my head the size of a dime where it hit me.

Been playing just a few months but I play almost every day.

What's in my bag: Distance Master Driver, Maltby Trouble Out woods/hybrids, Maltby KE4 Irons (all assembled by me so I can never blame my equipment).

Standing by my ball in a fairway and there was one paralell, but going the opposite direction. Guy shanked one and didn't yell and it smacked into my bag. 2 holes later my buddy decided to play a 2nd ball from a spot for practice while i walked ahead. Whizzed by my ear as I hear "Oh S**T!" from behind me.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

ok. Several years ago soon after I started playing golf, I decided to play a round for fun and my uncle played along with me. It was a pretty crowded day and we ended up having to wait quite a lot. But early on in the round was when things got close.

3rd hole, short par 3 about 130 yards. We're on the green putting out when the group behind us reaches the tee. We putt out and head to our cart that is directly to the left of the green and start driving ahead to the next tee which happens to be a bit of a drive. Well it just so happens that the guys on the tee didn't quite wait long enough for us to clear out. Apparently the guy hit a nice long high hook right at our cart. I had no idea the shot was coming until it went right in the back where are clubs were and thudded right into my back/shoulder area. Hurt like hell. no fore, no nothing. funny thing was the ball bounced off our cart down a ledge into the river, serves him right.

needless to say i played the rest of the round with quite a bruise and a painful swing.

I was playing in an outing a few years back and a light rain started, just enough to make the cart path slippery. The guy I was playing with started the cart down a steep incline and the cart started spinning out of control down the cart path towards a creek. I swear it was more slippery than ice. We came to a stop just before tumbling into the water. I am still surprised that I didn't brown my shorts.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A guy backed his van out of a parking space and almost nailed me in my cart. If I were at all distracted I would not have been able to get out of the way in time. Luckily, I dodged him.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Sad story. Earlier this year a friend of my dads was playing golf in the Carolina mountains. He was an elderly gentlemen. He was going around a curve in his cart and he either fell out of the cart or the cart tipped over. He rolled down the embankment. He suffered serious head injuries and died about a week later.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

This is not my story, I was golfing with my grandfather on a public course last week and we were paired with two older gentlemen. One of the two men had an eyepatch on. As the round went on we began to talk and he told me that his injury was golf related.

Apparently he was sitting in his golf cart with the plastic wind protector up. Someone hit a 3-iron and shanked it, never yelled fore and took this mans eye out. Not only did he give a half-hearted apology he never offered to help with the medical bills or anything. Had the golfer who hit the ball known what he did i very much doubt he would have even come to apologize at all.

This man with the eye patch was still a single digit handicap, and the day we played he was playing with borrowed clubs because his clubs had been stolen out of his trunk a few days before.

Crazy game we play huh?

Superquad 10.5* Aldila Shaft (the green one)
R9 3-Wood 15* Stiff
Ignite 3H
MP-52 PW-4
Vokey Tour Wedge 52,56,60 Newport Studio 2

today waiting on the 14th tee which is right in the line of sight from the par3 13th hole...
its behind and to the left of the green and you can totally see from every teebox on the 13th...
we were waiting for the fairway to clear and were watching the guys on 13 hit their shots...
2 guys were pretty decent but the 1 guy way over clubbed... looked like he was hitting a 3-4w off the tee...
they were at the middle teebox which is like 160 to the center of the green...
he takes his shot... and all of us were just watching it track right for the car my gf was in... she screams... jumps out of the cart... the ball hits the path right next to the cart... landing right on our teebox...
i was the one yelling fore!!!...
nobody in their group yelled... no apologies... nothing
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I guess I've been lucky but the only time I've even come close was when a group behind me misjudged the distance and a ball bounced past me about 10 yards to my right. It was moving fast enough that it would have hurt if it had hit me, but it would have taken a fluke shot to just the right spot to kill me.
Bag: VT3 Stand Bag
Driver: 10.5* Offset Driver
Fairway Wood: Offset 3 Wood
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS 20*
Irons: King Cobra II Oversize Irons 3 - PWWedges: Slingshot 4D SW 55*Putter: Crossbax 3.0 MalletBalls: Whatever I can find cheap.

I beg to differ, take a look:

The one with the shaft reminds me of a close call: A guy who i was playing with who is VERY BIG AND VERY STRONG and has a bad temper(we all get annoyed with it and tell him hes going to hurt someone one day) hit a horrible drive and throws the club and it bounces and hits me in an uncomfortable area...... that was pretty bad. The only other thing is when i was at a chipping green and a kid at the other end of the chipping green tried to hit a huge flop shot and all of a sudden i felt a huge pain in my shin. I realize this guy bladed it and hit me!!!!! It hurt like crazy but to see the look on the kid's face was priceless.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't me but I was there.

I just finished at the driving range and was walking to the practice greens not paying attention, when..... I hear a loud "BANG"! I look up and one of the attractive blondes who work at the course had just run her golf cart into a parked one......

Glad she wasn't hurt.

I was at a driving range on a nice muni course, early in the evening. The range was closed and I was finishing out my remaining balls, with only one other guy left a few stalls in front of me.

I'm out of balls but there is still some daylight, so I check to ensure the other guy isn't swinging, and walk out on the left side of the range to pick up a few nearby balls to continue hitting with.

Suddenly hear a thocking sound a bit behind me, and the other guy turns around surprised, too. I come back from collecting the balls and the guy explains a ball landed right in my stall, which had to come from over the driving range fence.

I picked up the ball, saw it wasn't a range ball, and noticed a few golfers walking up the adjacent fairway of the 9th hole. The 9th hole of the course, an uphill , 350yd par 4, runs alongside the left side of the range, the tee box starting on the opposite side of the range (out of site).

I returned the ball to them, and I think the young hitter apologized. I don't think he thought anyone was left on the range, and probably didn't know it cleared the fence. He hit one heck of a high-flying hook.

I learned after that to be careful on the left side of the range if golfers were out.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday we finished up a late afternoon round at the 13th (!) hole as it was getting close to sunset and clouds were darkening things.
So we start walking back to the clubhouse and I still ask my playing partner what is the safest way back. There is a dedicated walking path adjacent to one of the holes but quite deep into the rough area, so it looked harmless.

Anyway while walking about 220 yards away from the 8th tee, I get hit full (without a bounce) on the forehead 1 inch above my eye and 1 inch right of my temple. It must have been a wild slice for the ball to hit me at 90 degrees to the direction I was walking. Hurt like hell but nothing serious, I hope. Last night I looked like a Klingon, today I am sporting the Rocky Balboa look.

I was down but not knocked out, just a bit dazed. There were about 10 people around me when I got up and some irritating women was being apologetic. I remember hearing someone faintly shouting Fore but it was was way too late, probably about half a second before I got hit so I had no time to react.

Happy to be writing this post now!

Note: This thread is 5372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!