IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes he is, because Rory has the  physical ability to spin his hips faster than nearly any other tour player. That is why he can hit the golf ball further even though he's loosing 8 inches on his radius of his golf swing. That is his physical attribute. There is no doubt being taller is an advantage, majority of the top ten long drivers are tall, specifically the top 5.

If you want to get into the match

v = w*r

That means for Rory to have the same velocity of the clubhead as the other long hitters on tour, who are way taller than him, he has to make up the radius difference in rotational speed. This is special to him because no other 5'9" guy hits as far as he does on tour.

right, I suppose that wasn't the best example, sergio's a bit better, he's not very big but creates tremendous lag and hits the ball as far as the long hitters with a shorter driver...I've seen plenty of big guys that don't hit it long and plenty of small that hit it far is my point. I don't think body type or size are the only factor, yes being tall helps tho.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

I play with a guy who's a 36 hcp that can hit it 300 yards (I've gps'd it).    Its just swing speed - alot of young, flexible guys can do it.    Holding fairways is a different story.   hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.

Not true.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not true.

Hahahaha, I like the simple reply. I'll second that. Only because there is a difference between the long ball guy that has horrible everything else, and the guy that is good but could use an extra 20 on his drives to hit more GIRs. For someone that can keep the ball in play, length is definitely a factor! If I found a way to consistently get 25 extra on my 275 yard drive...that would be the difference of hitting a short iron, and a wedge on a lot of par 4s. Which increases the percentage of knocking one close to the hole. So, a lot of Mid/low handicappers could benefit from extra distance. But a 20+, the flaw goes beyond what a few extra yards would help.

Not true

Comon man - did you read what I said - I've seen it & gps'd it ... how can you say its not true.      Its just swing speed.    If we're talking about controlling a 300 yd shot, sure that's a different story; but just doing it isn't that hard if you're young and flexible and swing out of your shoes.

John

Comon man - did you read what I said - I've seen it & gps'd it ... how can you say its not true.      Its just swing speed.    If we're talking about controlling a 300 yd shot, sure that's a different story; but just doing it isn't that hard if you're young and flexible and swing out of your shoes.

I'm pretty sure he was commenting on the below Quote and I have to second that.

Originally Posted by inthehole

hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm pretty sure he was commenting on the below Quote and I have to second that.

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

John

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... I simply said and have proven by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards ...

Ok.. I'm only going to respond this one last time with the following.

1.  If your friend can hit it 300 yds and he is a 36 HCP then this is the exception and not the rule

2.  The statement that is being contested here is the following " hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length." so we have moved on from your friends ability to hit it 300 yrds or so and we are answering the statement now.

a)  The average drive by a PGA professional is about 282 yards

b)  The (real) average drive by a weekend golfer is probably about 200 yards

c)  The statement is very general in nature so it is not limited to the driver, the truth is that low HCP can hit all of their clubs pretty much longer than weekend golfers.

d)  Conclusion - There is a very strong correlation between length and HCP

Finally - no one called you a liar we don't really care that your friend can hit it 300 or 350 yards as a matter of fact!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think we've both made our points ... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).      I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.

John

I think we've both made our points ... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).      I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.

I'm taking slight offense to the "young" qualifier. At 34 I'm most likely not seen as "young". The only thing I'll agree with is flexibility and to a lesser degree athletic build.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).

...... I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.

If he "can't hit the broad side of a barn", then his swing is inconsistent and his mechanics are terrible. That translates into poor contact and a terrible smash factor. Even tour level swing speeds won't even get it past little old me if your smash factor is only 1.25.......  Consistently putting the center of the club face on the ball absolutely correlates to handicap.

The fact that once in a blue moon one goes 300 yards does not mean that someone "hits the ball 300 yards".  Hell, I've hit one down hill and down wind, caught a sprinkler head, and a cart path, and had one go 400 yards. That doesn't change the fact that I carry a driver about 240ish......sadly. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It's not true, and that's not a fact.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It's not true, and that's not a fact.

:doh:

I see we're talking about consistently hitting it 300 & keeping it in play.   Yes, that clearly involves hcp.     My interpretation of this thread was that high hcp's can't hit it 300 - that way of thinking is a complete fallacy, which I have proven by example to be untrue.

John

I think the problem you are facing is that most here won't accept that the ability to get lucky and hit a 300 yd drive on occasion is not the same thing as being able to reliably or repeatably hit it that far. Also, some here won't accept that as a true distance unless it is in the fairway or at the very least close to it. Also, depending on conditions, a 300 yd drive may be overly easy to achieve and therefore discounted *read downhill downwind on hard fairway or catching cartpath/sprinkler head*. Most people here put more stock in the carry yardage on drives, which is by far much more difficult to prove.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... [U]and have PROVEN by using a gps[/U] that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

I think the objection is your statement about handicap and distance. If you shoot scratch or better, you pretty much need to drive over 250 (carry).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Not true

Yes it is.  I was once young and flexible and when I swung out of my shoes, the max I ever got to was 108 mph (and I had a 10 handicap, not a 20 or higher), and there is no way I could have actually played swinging that hard.  Good technique is a necessity, and for most of us, that doesn't come naturally.  For most high handicappers, the harder they swing, the shorter they hit it, because they screw up their timing and tempo and swing path when they try to swing harder.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I see we're talking about consistently hitting it 300 & keeping it in play.   Yes, that clearly involves hcp.     My interpretation of this thread was that high hcp's can't hit it 300 - that way of thinking is a complete fallacy, which I have proven by example to be untrue.

I don't doubt that a guy can suck at golf and once a round poke one out there near 300.  I still don't think it's all that easy nor common, but there are people who can fit into that category.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!