IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last hole on Saturday, I played along with a high school or college kid. About 180 yd par 3 I hit 7i, caught off the toe, just short of the green. He hit a 9i just passed center green.... Yeah, a 9i..... I imagine this kid is probably close to scratch golf though, made a comment about how he eagled one of the holes earlier in his round.

Funny, when we hear about crazy long distances like that it makes me think how spread out their distances must be.     So for my full swing approach shots say from 75-175 yards, I'll hit 58° wedge  through 5 iron, which is 9 clubs ... or 100/9 = 11 yards difference per club on a full swing.     For the guy you referenced, assuming he plays a lob, sand, gap, pitching wedge through 9 iron, thats 5 clubs for the same 100 yard distance - 20 yard spread per club.     I think I'd rather have a ~ 10 yard spread per club than a 20 yard spread.        Having a 20 yard spread between clubs requires a whole lot more 3/4 power shots which require a far greater "feel" than I posess & probability for error (under/overshooting greens, etc), especially out there at those longer approach distances ... but then again, I'm not reaching those long par 5's in two like he is ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny, when we hear about crazy long distances like that it makes me think how spread out their distances must be.     So for my full swing approach shots say from 75-175 yards, I'll hit 58° wedge  through 5 iron, which is 9 clubs ... or 100/9 = 11 yards difference per club on a full swing.     For the guy you referenced, assuming he plays a lob, sand, gap, pitching wedge through 9 iron, thats 5 clubs for the same 100 yard distance - 20 yard spread per club.     I think I'd rather have a ~ 10 yard spread per club than a 20 yard spread.        Having a 20 yard spread between clubs requires a whole lot more 3/4 power shots which require a far greater "feel" than I posess & probability for error (under/overshooting greens, etc), especially out there at those longer approach distances ... but then again, I'm not reaching those long par 5's in two like he is ...

That's actually one of the first things I thought too, that's a lot of partial swings to hit anything probably under 150 with his wedges.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That's actually one of the first things I thought too, that's a lot of partial swings to hit anything probably under 150 with his wedges.

Yeah, I agree. I play with a guy who hits his 60* 125 yards. That's a huge gap! He tried a 64* but those are just too hard to hit.

Yeah, I agree. I play with a guy who hits his 60* 125 yards. That's a huge gap! He tried a 64* but those are just too hard to hit.

I think this whole thread has taken on a life of its own now.  Ya, he must be hitting it 3 miles into the air and then it slams into the ground and you have to get the whole ground crew to come and figure out how to get the ball out..  It must take a long time for you guys to finish a round; oh and according to my calculation he must be hitting his pitching wedge about 185 (10 yards for each 2* loft); can you please post his swing asap so that we can all learn the secret :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think this whole thread has taken on a life of its own now.  Ya, he must be hitting it 3 miles into the air and then it slams into the ground and you have to get the whole ground crew to come and figure out how to get the ball out..  It must take a long time for you guys to finish a round; oh and according to my calculation he must be hitting his pitching wedge about 185 (10 yards for each 2* loft); can you please post his swing asap so that we can all learn the secret :)

No, he's probably delofting the hell out of the club and hitting it thin...removing every single advantage of having a 60* in the first place.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

No, he's probably delofting the hell out of the club and hitting it thin...removing every single advantage of having a 60* in the first place.

Yup.  This.  Hit properly, even the longest hitting pro would be swinging out of his socks to make a 60° go that far.  Not saying it can't be done, just that here is no reason to be swinging a 60° that hard.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Since back surgery in 09 Ive had to completely break down my swing. I dont hit it nearly as far but as a result IM not swinging from my ass anymore. Its a much slower, compact swing resulting in better control and ball striking.

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

I saw we start a poll and then have his swing posted in the thread!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

No Not really.

and in that case I have a 150 yard 60

Yes, yes really. If you're hitting a 60* 130 yards, you're not hitting it right. I don't care if you're the Hulk...but especially not when you're 5'2" and 120 lbs.

Ryan M

Yes, yes really. If you're hitting a 60* 130 yards, you're not hitting it right. I don't care if you're the Hulk...but especially not when you're 5'2" and 120 lbs.

i was talking about if i blade it

and Im 140...get your facts straight

:)

i was talking about if i blade it

and Im 140...get your facts straight

:)

140? Go on a diet, fatty. ;-)

I've hit my 60* 125 before. Unfortunately I only had 70 to the pin.
Ryan M

• Administrator

ha!

That's funny.

But mostly I'm testing something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's funny.

But mostly I'm testing something.

?

Get on some roids weakling

Lol

I'm about 170 champ. ;)

Ryan M

I guess you have to go Army SF. :) I started playing a few years ago after I got home from a deployment. He was fresh from Q school and got his Special Forces tab. We both played baseball together in college. he picked golf up quick, posting a 17 hcap his first year of playing. (struggles with the short game)He is a big guy, and strong as hell. Abnormally flexible for his size, and his swing speed is amazing! I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't play with him. Yeah, he can hit a 8 iron about 200....again, I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't see it. Actually made me consider going SF! Ha And I think he is going to be in town on leave this weekend, so I'll see if I can get some video for you.

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!