IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why is it I have a slow swing speed (100-102mph) in this forum but the vast majority of people I play along with I hit it the furthest? Could someone explain this to me?

That's like feeling inadequate about your personal size based on watching adult films. It's a skewed and (somewhat) artificial view of reality. That swing speed is, what, 10 mph below McIlroy? I think you're probably a much higher percentile than you might gather by comparing it to people online, both due to selection bias and the Internet-to-real-world distance conversion metric. My swing speed is about the same as yours, and I'm with you: the numbers I have for my distances feel grossly inferior to what some people post and yet I'm usually the longest driver when I'm playing, and that's hitting a 3-wood. That's not to accuse anyone in particular of inflating, just noticing that on the Internet as a whole, there's some unlikely numbers in there.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's like feeling inadequate about your personal size based on watching adult films. It's a skewed and (somewhat) artificial view of reality. That swing speed is, what, 10 mph below McIlroy? I think you're probably a much higher percentile than you might gather by comparing it to people online, both due to selection bias and the Internet-to-real-world distance conversion metric. My swing speed is about the same as yours, and I'm with you: the numbers I have for my distances feel grossly inferior to what some people post and yet I'm usually the longest driver when I'm playing, and that's hitting a 3-wood.

That's not to accuse anyone in particular of inflating, just noticing that on the Internet as a whole, there's some unlikely numbers in there.

OMG you cracked me up with that comparison :beer: . But everything else is pretty much spot on as well, I run into people from time to time who just like here say some fairly lofty standards just to wind up being nothing of the kind when I actually see them play, as usual it's usually young men who want to feel superior.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 2 weeks later...
I swing at about 106-108 mph with the Driver and I only carry it around 260, my smash factor stinks, my ball speed is in the high 140s... I'm working on timing so ball speed is closer to the mid 150s I'm not looking for 159-162 which would be a perfect 1.50 smash factor, just close would be good... So if your swinging 100-102 mph you can get outdriven by guys at 95-98 mph because their ball speed is either greater than or equal to yours, which would mean their smash factor is higher...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

That's like feeling inadequate about your personal size based on watching adult films. It's a skewed and (somewhat) artificial view of reality. That swing speed is, what, 10 mph below McIlroy? I think you're probably a much higher percentile than you might gather by comparing it to people online, both due to selection bias and the Internet-to-real-world distance conversion metric. My swing speed is about the same as yours, and I'm with you: the numbers I have for my distances feel grossly inferior to what some people post and yet I'm usually the longest driver when I'm playing, and that's hitting a 3-wood.

That's not to accuse anyone in particular of inflating, just noticing that on the Internet as a whole, there's some unlikely numbers in there.

but... but I really do swing it 120 mph.. :-(

but... but I really do swing it 120 mph..

No worries, I'd let you play through, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

You could be getting more distance your smash factor is only 1.38 (around what mine is) if you could get your smash factor even up to 1.45 (192 ball speed)... you would hit it probably 375 lol...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

You could be getting more distance your smash factor is only 1.38 (around what mine is) if you could get your smash factor even up to 1.45 (192 ball speed)... you would hit it probably 375 lol...

Yea that's the thing about swinging that hard - you get out of sync and become less efficient. My normal on course speed is probably closer to 115-120. I'm probably around 1.43 smash

Yeah when you swing that hard, your timing is way off... When I was a younger before my accident my swing speed was around 118-120... I'm happy with 106-108, I can probably get 110-112 with some strength training... but I've noticed my timing is better swinging smoother, plus I have to use my body a little more if I get my smash up, I could hit it 275-280 again,but I'm not going try to get much more than that...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• 3 weeks later...

MacGregor Mike Souchak W90 driver (43"): 240 yds

MacGregor Mike Souchak W90 3W (42"):   190 yds (off the short stuff with a good lie)

"                      "        3 iron:                170 yds

"                      "        5 iron:                150 yds

"                      "        7 iron:                130 yds

"                      "        9 iron:                110 yds

Spalding Dynamiter wedge:                          85 yds
(approx. 56*)

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

D 240-250 3W 220 3H 200 4H 185 5I 174 6I 166 7I 156 8I 146 9I 135 PW 115 GW 105 SW 80 LW 60

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

Note: This thread is 996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!