IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 14, 5'2" no idea how I get my power 62*-75 56*-105 52*-115 47*-130 Pw-140 9- 150 8-160 7-170 6- 180 5- 190 4-200 4h-215 3w-230(4inches short for accuracy...gonna ch Driver-280(not consistent)

technically the farther you hit the ball the less accurate you are... Of your a fraction open someone with a low clubhead speed will fade it but someone with a fast clubhead speed will hit a very large fade...also it is in the air longer... I think the most important thing for distance is smash factor... I can have a 100 mph swing but if I catch it perfect every time I can be hitting 290-300

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I agree that hitting a ball 300 is nowhere near 9.9s.  But hitting a 3i 255 yards regularly (the example I was going for) is much closer to that level of elite ability.  And remember the average drive he was claiming was in the 320-340 range, which is also significantly greater than 300.

For full disclosure, I was originally going to amend my post to read a 10.4s 100m, but had already left for work and couldn't edit by the time I got to a computer.  Besides, I was simply going for an illustration that would relate to a fellow sprinter, so I figured the finer details wouldn't matter too much.

Unless, there are other ex-track runners?

Yes, I agree that the essence of what you are saying is very clear . Hitting 330 yard average drives is pretty elite.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Considering a 330 avg is roughly 25 yds longer than PGA best I'd say it's better than elite. Even the long drive guys admit they throttle it back when they play real golf. At least one has played in a pro tournament. Probably easy enough to look what he averaged there.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Considering a 330 avg is roughly 25 yds longer than PGA best I'd say it's better than elite. Even the long drive guys admit they throttle it back when they play real golf. At least one has played in a pro tournament. Probably easy enough to look what he averaged there.

what i dont think yall understand is distance is a mix of club head speed, smash factor, and trajectory. There are certainly large men who have the clubhead speed but cannot hit the middle of the face. But there is a chance they will catch it good and it goes that far. All of those top pga tour guys can hit it 360 but dont try too because it is less accurate...If I with my 100 mph swing try an hit one as hard as i can and i catch the middle and it goes straight i can certainly put one out there close to 300. and im 14 and small...I also know kids 6'8" on my team that ca generate clubhead speed averaging in the 110-120+ range and definantly average 300

Here's the link to a chart showing distance related to swing speed and quality of contact.  100 mph swing speed gets you 225 yards of carry at best.

http://0314c3a.netsolhost.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/RefCard.pdf

I've seen some other charts that shows 240 carry for a 100 mph swing speed.  But unless you are playing consistently downhill on fairways that give 60-80 yard rollouts, 300 yards is not reality.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

For people who think a 100 MPH swing speed equals 300 yards, check out the following graph:

100 MPH will get you about 225 yards of carry, at best, unless you are playing on an airport runway.

then how is it that with my swing speed (now that i think of it it is 100 with a 6 iron) can drive it 280 and have up to 150 pw? its called smash factor buddy...unless simulators are giving me a lower swing speed, and if thats the case than i hope you are right:)...what is your swing speed and how far do you hit it?

Carry Distance versus Swing Speed Chart

acording to this i have a 116 mph swingspeed...something is wrong and i dont understand...also some of my buddies would have a 131. this is going off the pw

with my driver i should have a 110 swing speed and my buddies have a 115

im confused now

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

then how is it that with my swing speed (now that i think of it it is 100 with a 6 iron) can drive it 280 and have up to 150 pw? its called smash factor buddy...unless simulators are giving me a lower swing speed, and if thats the case than i hope you are right:)...what is your swing speed and how far do you hit it?

If you have a 100 mph swing speed with your 6 iron, then you are doing great. And I know about smash factor, son.

im confused now

The simplest answer would be that your buddies don't hit it as far as they say or think they do.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

The simplest answer would be that your buddies don't hit it as far as they say or think they do.

Im not 100 percent sure about the 160 pw but i do know they have 230 4 irons and easy carry the ball 300

Im not 100 percent sure about the 160 pw but i do know they have 230 4 irons and easy carry the ball 300

Then they would have very high swing speeds.  What are you confused about?  Have their swing speeds been measured at lower values than the chart suggests?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Here's the link to a chart showing distance related to swing speed and quality of contact.  100 mph swing speed gets you 225 yards of carry at best.

http://0314c3a.netsolhost.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/RefCard.pdf

I've seen some other charts that shows 240 carry for a 100 mph swing speed.  But unless you are playing consistently downhill on fairways that give 60-80 yard rollouts, 300 yards is not reality.

I carry the ball atleast 260 everytime...i must have like a 110-115 ss

I carry the ball atleast 260 everytime...i must have like a 110-115 ss

How easily can you see the ball land? Is it very visible, or visible but you have to squint? [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] "Angular resolution is commonly measured in units known as arc minutes and arc seconds, which correspond to 1/60th and 1/3600th of a single degree in your field of view, respectively. The typical set of human eyes has an angular resolution on the order of one arc minute, give or take a few arc seconds. If you were to draw a line measuring a third of a millimeter wide on a piece of paper and hold it at arm's length, the line would cover about 1 arc minute of your vision."- Excerpt taken from "Limits of Human Perception". A golf ball at 300 yards is about 272m the golf ball is about 0.04267m across so the size in arc seconds is approximately 0.009 degrees or about 0.539 arc minutes across the diameter. Take a typical ballpoint pen 0.5mm to 0.6mm point, and make a single dot in it, without twisting the pen (the print will be grayish), and hold it 3 paces (3m) away from you. This is how a golf ball 300 yards away looks. Except that the ball is not gray or black and the golf course is not perfectly white. A green and white contrast is not as good as black and white contrast. [/SPOILER]

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

How easily can you see the ball land?

Is it very visible, or visible but you have to squint?

"Angular resolution is commonly measured in units known as arc minutes and arc seconds, which correspond to 1/60th and 1/3600th of a single degree in your field of view, respectively. The typical set of human eyes has an angular resolution on the order of one arc minute, give or take a few arc seconds. If you were to draw a line measuring a third of a millimeter wide on a piece of paper and hold it at arm's length, the line would cover about 1 arc minute of your vision."- Excerpt taken from "Limits of Human Perception".

A golf ball at 300 yards is about 272m the golf ball is about 0.04267m across so the size in arc seconds is approximately 0.009 degrees or about 0.539 arc minutes across the diameter.

Take a typical ballpoint pen 0.5mm to 0.6mm point, and make a single dot in it, without twisting the pen (the print will be grayish), and hold it 3 paces (3m) away from you. This is how a golf ball 300 yards away looks. Except that the ball is not gray or black and the golf course is not perfectly white. A green and white contrast is not as good as black and white contrast.

I have to squint and usually lose it before it lands if it overcast

I have to squint and usually lose it before it lands if it overcast

Right, so you can't be certain that it carries 260 every time.

Either way, you probably get a lot of your power from flexibility. I remember how flexible I was at 14. Do yoga now so you don't lose it.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I expect my distances to up from what i put before because i've finally changed my grip following advice from my pro, i had a very open grip before right would wrap under the left one causing a hook etc. Now i have changed my grip unbelievable! i used only my 7 iron purely because i was hitting the longest i ever hit 90% of all my shots hitting the back of the range around 220 on the left side of the range. I was hitting a strong/slight fade on most shots and they were carry around 180/190 and was getting a lot of roll. This was a slow controlled tempo swing some much so i had people watching me hit e.g i had headphones on so they though i couldn't hear them the comments were great.

Will update all clubs again soon for now 7iron is between 180-190 carry on a slow smooth tempo swing. Will be interesting to see other carry distances improve. At the range everyday for at least 2 weeks that what my pro has recommended for me and what a change just 2 days in!

In The Bag:

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 9.5 w/Phenom 70g S flex 

3-Wood: Callaway x-hot S flex 

Irons: Titleist Ap1 3-pw 

Wedges: Titleist sm4 56/60 

Putter: Odyssey 

Ball: Whatever i find!

:whistle::mad::pound:

. ...Will update all clubs again soon for now 7iron is between 180-190 carry on a slow smooth tempo swing. Will be interesting to see other carry distances improve. At the range everyday for at least 2 weeks that what my pro has recommended for me and what a change just 2 days in!

There's a chart above that indicates you could drive with a speed of 120mph with a corresponding 184 yard 7 iron carry. Should you be using extra stiff on your Burner 2.0 driver?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!