IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have no idea what my AOA is now or ever was but it's either not as positive as it used to be or maybe even negative. Either way I am having a heck of a time trying to force a trajectory to happen.

I should have clarified that all I changed in my swing with the higher loft was to swing slower. Same swing. The plan is to increase my AoA to +5, someday. [quote name="late347" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1692#post_1001438"]That's very effective yardages out of that driver gratz! That's with older model cobra driver? Amp cell? I got the new cobra biocell, hoping to try it out at the range today for real, not only simulator! [/quote] It's got the Bio+ printed on the bottom. The simulator for me has been my bane. None of them worked correctly, I attribute the fact that my simulator readings are reasonably the same as my course distances to my swing improvements the last few months. No idea how far I will hit on the course yet, I'll test it tomorrow afternoon.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You do realize they are asking for "average" distances not potential or what you can do every one of 10. So I guess it would be safe to assume you can hit your 5 iron upwards of 260 yards and your misses are about 220 right? Honestly I don't understand why you don't hit your driver closer to 350 because I hit my driver a good 75 yards further than my 5 iron and I would figure at least 100 yards difference in your case. So in high school you were swinging the club 10mph faster than Bubba and Tiger I'm impressed.

Completely understand.  This is not 1 of 10 frequency.  This is consideration of a distance with reasonable contact.  I don't really flub my irons much, but there will be some variance if you hit cut/draw, etc.  I do hit many drives 320+, but my standard deviation with the driver is higher than with irons.  In high school I was swinging the club 135 mph.  That's why I was hitting unfitted clubs with old technology and still hitting a five iron 230 yards.  If I had technology of today back then it would have been something else.  I don't swing the club that fast anymore, but changes in tech have allowed me to evolve beyond the scope of what was previously possible.   These are also average swings, I'm not considering if I really try torque into the ball.

Completely understand.  This is not 1 of 10 frequency.  This is consideration of a distance with reasonable contact.  I don't really flub my irons much, but there will be some variance if you hit cut/draw, etc.  I do hit many drives 320+, but my standard deviation with the driver is higher than with irons.  In high school I was swinging the club 135 mph.  That's why I was hitting unfitted clubs with old technology and still hitting a five iron 230 yards.  If I had technology of today back then it would have been something else.  I don't swing the club that fast anymore, but changes in tech have allowed me to evolve beyond the scope of what was previously possible.   These are also average swings, I'm not considering if I really try torque into the ball.

135 in high school without amassing a fortune in broken shafts and chiropractic bills is great. I've watched a couple guys snap their driver or 3-wood shafts just loading them on the downswing with a speed of only around 115 mph, but those were the cheapey TM stock shafts that only go up to a regular flex that's labeled as a stiff. But really, I would be surprised if you swung at 135 mph. I apologize for sounding a bit doubtful, but in my years of high school golf I haven't seen a single player swing at a speed above 125 (which is what the swing speed of the longest member of my HS's golf team when he swings it out of his shoes. We played on a simulator in the winter a couple times) Again, sorry if that's really how fast you swung but I'm finding it a bit hard to believe myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthomp007

135 in high school without amassing a fortune in broken shafts and chiropractic bills is great. I've watched a couple guys snap their driver or 3-wood shafts just loading them on the downswing with a speed of only around 115 mph, but those were the cheapey TM stock shafts that only go up to a regular flex that's labeled as a stiff.

But really, I would be surprised if you swung at 135 mph. I apologize for sounding a bit doubtful, but in my years of high school golf I haven't seen a single player swing at a speed above 125 (which is what the swing speed of the longest member of my HS's golf team when he swings it out of his shoes. We played on a simulator in the winter a couple times)

Again, sorry if that's really how fast you swung but I'm finding it a bit hard to believe myself.

It also appears the @jthomp007 could swing faster if need be?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

135 in high school without amassing a fortune in broken shafts and chiropractic bills is great. I've watched a couple guys snap their driver or 3-wood shafts just loading them on the downswing with a speed of only around 115 mph, but those were the cheapey TM stock shafts that only go up to a regular flex that's labeled as a stiff.

But really, I would be surprised if you swung at 135 mph. I apologize for sounding a bit doubtful, but in my years of high school golf I haven't seen a single player swing at a speed above 125 (which is what the swing speed of the longest member of my HS's golf team when he swings it out of his shoes. We played on a simulator in the winter a couple times)

Again, sorry if that's really how fast you swung but I'm finding it a bit hard to believe myself.

Okay, so my first response would also be something like "Maybe on Playstation. . .", but. . .

My son played one kid in league who actually carried the ball 330 yards. They couldn't see where his balls landed exactly, but they found the balls most of the time (about 330-360 yards away every time). Now the funny part is that this kid shot something in the high 90s that day (my guess is lots of OB). There were three long hitters in the group so they were all used to looking for balls that were hit far away. I think they grouped them by handicap, which is the only reason why my son played in their group.

I've also seen many people come on this site and claim really fast speeds and tons of people jumped on the said person as well. One example was a poster named JimboSlice. They spend hundreds of posts telling him he was full of it, etc. Then in the end he was able to prove that he was able to get 300 yard drives now and then as he stated.

So, while it is pretty rare to find someone who can really swing fast, it does happen. My guess is that many more of the younger generation will drive longer distances, and maybe some of them will be able to play golf too?

It also appears the @jthomp007 could swing faster if need be?

Maybe? I've seen people chop the tops of bottles with their bare hands with pure speed before, so it is possible. Just not by us normal people. B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

MFs R so full of shit!

Also possible.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Lol I agree with Pete. Most really don't know how far they hit it or how far anyone else does. I get it out there pretty far being in CO. When I play with a stranger and hit a decent drive in the 270-290 range they always think it travels further than it really does. They think it's a bomb and I'm thinking shit I still have a 8i to the green.

Dave :-)

Lol I agree with Pete. Most really don't know how far they hit it or how far anyone else does. I get it out there pretty far being in CO. When I play with a stranger and hit a decent drive in the 270-290 range they always think it travels further than it really does. They think it's a bomb and I'm thinking shit I still have a 8i to the green.

Yeah, agreed. I guess we have "half full and half empty" folks here. I still like to think most people here are not lying.

For all we know, they could be the same person as they both only have 2 posts a piece. Who really knows on a public forum?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I'd imagine it might hurt after a while to swing that fast.

Especially, as the shaft wraps around your neck on the follow through. . .

Your post was very carefully and nicely worded.

If someone does post a swing speed that phenomenal it would be nice to see it in video as well.

It would be cool to watch, and mitigate any doubt.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I say anyone that makes those claims shouldn't even bother posting it unless it comes with legit launch monitor numbers.

Dave :-)

I say anyone that makes those claims shouldn't even bother posting it unless it comes with legit launch monitor numbers.

Maybe we could turn this into more of a thread where people could post launch monitor numbers instead of just distances, which could mostly eliminate the debate. I can start it off this weekend if I'm able to get to a simulator, but couldn't do it before then since I'm out of town in Glennwood Springs without clubs.

You can analyze the video, DTL is not as accurate. FO is better and you can look at the shaft frame by frame to estimate the angular speed. The only thing is you need to make some assumptions to obtain the size of the arc.

Maybe we could turn this into more of a thread where people could post launch monitor numbers instead of just distances, which could mostly eliminate the debate. I can start it off this weekend if I'm able to get to a simulator, but couldn't do it before then since I'm out of town in Glennwood Springs without clubs.

How do you get the launch monitor results in a form you can post? Usually, they are on a computer screen, and you might not be able to copy any screenshots off the computer. Also, how much do you need to pay to use a simulator like trakman and flightscope? I only got to use one at a golfing party, but do not know how much it costs.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You can analyze the video, DTL is not as accurate. FO is better and you can look at the shaft frame by frame to estimate the angular speed. The only thing is you need to make some assumptions to obtain the size of the arc. How do you get the launch monitor results in a form you can post? Usually, they are on a computer screen, and you might not be able to copy any screenshots off the computer. Also, how much do you need to pay to use a simulator like trakman and flightscope? I only got to use one at a golfing party, but do not know how much it costs.

There's a golf "warehouse" of sorts within 20 minutes of m house that has multiple hitting bays with high speed cameras, a simulator, and a putting green/chipping area all indoors. It's quite nice and only costs me about $15 an hour to use the simulator, which is the same as if someone were to go buy a large bucket of balls I suppose. Not something I'd do everyday, but every once in a while it's helpful for when I want to test golf balls against each other. It displays the stats on a big projector screen for each shot, as well as giving you the option of pulling up a table of your last 20 shots with averages. I actually used it for an AP Statistics project last year, which was pretty cool.

There's a golf "warehouse" of sorts within 20 minutes of m house that has multiple hitting bays with high speed cameras, a simulator, and a putting green/chipping area all indoors. It's quite nice and only costs me about $15 an hour to use the simulator, which is the same as if someone were to go buy a large bucket of balls I suppose. Not something I'd do everyday, but every once in a while it's helpful for when I want to test golf balls against each other. It displays the stats on a big projector screen for each shot, as well as giving you the option of pulling up a table of your last 20 shots with averages. I actually used it for an AP Statistics project last year, which was pretty cool.

That's a great price. Trakman or the optical system?

I'm guessing your a freshman in college?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That's a great price. Trakman or the optical system? I'm guessing your a freshman in college?

Just an optical system, so not quite as accurate as if it was a Trackman. Still pretty decent, and you can use it to play as well. It's only around $10 an hour to use the high speed cameras, which is nice, so I need to get a new swing video up if I go over there to use the simulator. Just going into my senior year of high school actually, and I suppose AP Stats was two years ago now during sophomore year.

Just an optical system, so not quite as accurate as if it was a Trackman. Still pretty decent, and you can use it to play as well. It's only around $10 an hour to use the high speed cameras, which is nice, so I need to get a new swing video up if I go over there to use the simulator.

Just going into my senior year of high school actually, and I suppose AP Stats was two years ago now during sophomore year.

Yeah, I think I can go to a store with lots of these systems. I wonder if they will let me take pictures of the screens? Well in any case, I got my swing speed and other stats on a Trakman, and am quite satisfied with them.

BTW, you're pretty advanced in math. My son is just starting Pre-Calc next year, he's only planning on taking one or two AP classes next year.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!