IGNORED

What is your golf oriented "pet peeve"

smith5606
Note: This thread is 4382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please repair your divots and pitch marks. With signage all over the place and just plain old proper etiquite, I hate it when a group ahead of me leaves and there are multiple pitch marks on the green.

Yardage that is incorrect. Example - Sign on a par 3 says 150...then the plate for the acurate yardage is different or no where to be seen. Then you find a sprinkler head hear by with a different yardage.
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

People who have no business getting angry after poor shots, but still insist upon it.

I used to do that not to the extent of your friend though. Since then I have tried to not get angry at all because usually I just felt like an idiot after I got angry at a shot after all it cant be that bad if you are golfing

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

rude course staff...

sorry you hate your job... but im here to enjoy a game and i dont need anything else messing with my head before i even reach the first tee
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I have so many, I could write a book.

As with the original poster, the alleged word "golfing" sounds no better to me than "tennising." I've never heard a serious player use it.

As much as I like the technology of modern equipment, I hate the specs. Everything is either too strong lofted, too closed faced, too upright--too different in general from the 1959 specs with which I started. I don't want 1959 technology, but I want 1959 specs. A 48° club is a nine-iron. And if a 43" wooden driver had a 55° lie, why does a 45" titanium driver have a 58° lie? Shouldn't the lie be even flatter to accomodate the length? Upright fairway woods are even worse.

In addition to not being made of wood, woods are no longer sold in sets. So stop putting club numbers on the bottom of them. The loft will do nicely, thank you, since the correlation of number and loft doesn't match anything that was ever made of wood. I don't want to call my 23° club a 7- or 9-wood when even my first metal one was a 5-wood.

I hate soft spikes with a purple passion, even after having been forced to wear them for this long. I don't understand the reasoning behind them, nor do I care. I want my steel spikes back.

One new thing I do like are the cart bags with full length dividers for each club. I just wish they'd have 16 or 17 slots so I could keep my extra clubs in the bag until I actually play.

I hate what my dues cost. Thank God it's not a member-owned club with an initiation that I couldn't have afforded or with assessments I don't want to hear about. I just wish that I didn't have to play scruffy green fee tracks until I was all done with mortgages and kids' tuitions. I should just think of it as, All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Finally, I wish golf had a bunch of competing alphabet soup sanctioning bodies like boxing (where I wish that they didn't). I suppose that the USGA does the best that it can, but every once in a while, it does something to set me off. Include the new face scoring line groove rule as one of those things.

I know I said "finally," but I'm sure that there's more.

I would have to say that my biggest itch on the course has to do with the course. I do not play with a skycaddie or a range finder, so the courses out there that only have 200, 150, and 100 yard markers on the cart path (which I walk every time I play) Its nice to see multiple sprinkler heads along the fairway with odd yardages on them.

Whats in the bag?
909 D3 8.5* UST Mamiya Tour Green X
909 F3 13* UST ATTAS X
909 F3 18* UST ATTAS X
909 H 21* DG S300 735cm chrome 5-PW DG S300 54.08 SM 58.04 SM 64.07 SM Studio Select Newport 2 Sonic Blue Dot...

When I hear someone say "I love to golf" or "I am going golfing", it is like fingernails on a blackboard. I love to play golf and go to play golf regularly. I also like to play bridge and Monopoly but I would not like to "bridge" or "Monopoly".

slow play last week we had two groups of 4 ahead of us all playin very poorley at least 7 to 8 shots apiece every hole from wen we caught them on the 15 result for me was 3 double bogeys and a bogey it throws me off having to wait 20 minutes between every shot

besides rude course staff...
marshalls that are clueless and drive up to the teebox when your group is hitting... makes you paranoid even if you didnt do anything wrong... and you know you are keeping up with the group in front of you
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Here on Long Island slow play is the biggest culprit closley followed by unfixed ball marks on the green.5 hour rounds should never happen but they do and it takes all the fun out of playing.I work nights and usually can get out in the first 2 or 3 groups and it kills me when I see fresh ball maks on the greens.If you get up at 5am to play you would figure the people you play with or behind are some kind of players but they are too damn lazy to bend over and fix ball marks.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Golfers who do not fix pitch marks, take forever to find their balls, take umpteen mulligans, and especially those who feel they have a sense of entitlement over other players.

I don't know where to post this, but this thread might work. I had a crazy day at the golf course. I got thrown in with a 2-some and another single and we played the front nine, took a while at the turn (the old guy was peeing for 20 minutes or something). The group behind us jumped on 10 - no big deal. We followed them on. The group that used to be 2 behind was now directly behind us. When were were on the tee, they jumped on there two and were talking LOUDLY when we were teeing off. I had to shush them. On the tee box for 11, these guys were coming on to the 10th green and one of them rode up to us and started yelling! He said "Hey! Hey! You cut in front of us! And...you are SLOW! I am going to report it to the marshall!" I started laughing, because, well, it was funny and I don't bother with morons. The twosome looked shocked and somewhat irritated.

Now, the OLD guy in our group...he goes ballistic! He runs up to the guy and starts in on him: "I know you! You rotten bastard! You started some s*** like this last time you were here. F you, you go ahead and call the marshall!" He was really heated up. We went to the tee and called him over. We moved down the course and left them in the dust. What a strange day.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

• 3 years later...

The opposite of sandbaggers. The guys, of whom I have met plenty---tell you about their 8 handicap. And somehow, that day, they almost always shoot 90+

I played with a guy who told me he was an 8- and he shot a 96. I told him I was an 18 and I shot 91. Now being an 18--I could shoot 100 on a really bad day. But when you are 80 or below, shooting 90 is pretty tough to do. I saw him after the 96 and he told me about his 77. Thats right Mark, you kno who you are!

my biggest pet peeve.

Slow play.  I am no super golfer by any means, but I play bad fast.

Our threesome made a rule a few years ago that we still follow.  It works well for us.  If we hit a shot that goes into the rough and we can not find it.  We will allow the other person to take a free drop, if the ball should have been able to be found easily.  We only look for our "lost" ball for a minute or two until another person in the group (this rule has to be initiated by another member and not the person who lost it) will say "free drop", just so we keep it moving.  After all, we are not in the PGA and do not have cameras and a gallery following us around to find the ball for us.  Sometimes, you know exactly where the ball went but, it is just not there.  Especially in the fall when leaves are falling.

we also will stop hitting our ball if we have doubled par or a 9 for a par 5.  My brother and I rarely have to use this rule anymore, but it saved a lot of time in the past.

Like I said, we are not good golfers (we shoot in the high 80's or 90's), but I dont like when I make someone wait.

Now if someone is waiting behind me, because of a group in front of me and that person hits the ball off the tee when we were clearly not out of range over and over, we slow it up a lot and sometimes their ball accidentally finds its way under our carts wheel.  lol.

Bad greens. Seriously, if putts over 12 feet have no chance of going in by anything other than pure chance, the game just becomes insufferable. You work so hard to get the ball up to the hole and then, after lining up and hitting a decent 18-foot lag, you hit it a tad offline and see it bobble 4 feet to the side. You line that up and watch it bump and slide an inch too far to the side. What was the point of getting it so close to the hole in a couple strokes if it takes 3 to get it in from nearby? Screw that.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Continuing on the theme of slow play - I will say lazy greenskeeping and/or poor event planning that makes it even worse.  I hate to bash to course staff, as I know the vast majority of the time they are doing the best they can to keep the $ coming in.  But in the words of ESPN, sometimes I can't help but think 'come on man'.

The prime example - having very difficult, tournament hole locations on every hole, on Saturday.  And then hosting a corporate scramble full of beginners without a 2-putt limit rule on the greens that same day.  It's not exactly great form to host such an event on Saturday to begin with.  And these poor guys don't need any reason to stretch out the torture even longer.

6.5 hours later, I feel myself wanting to have a follow-up chat with the one of the assistant pro's at the end of the round.  I do my best to resist, and just try to avoid the course for awhile.  I've booked tee times where I was informed there was no tournament for that weekend, only to have one squeezed in after the fact.  Thankfully has only happened a few times, but it absolutely miserable when it does.

Note: This thread is 4382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!